Lexicon plugin reverb versus TC VSS3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hodshonf wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:04 pm PCM Native Reverb Bundle now at $ 234.87

good deal?

still a valid reverb when SO many others are out there since its release?
IMO, absolutely - if you don't mind iLok and the fact that it's actually a separate plugin for each algorithm. I'm an algorithmic reverb nut and more than anything else I've used the PCM 'verbs "just work". The presets are also great (there are typically 5 versions of each preset - a main one, then light, dark, bandpass, and notch-filtered). In particular having a bandpass each for early/late reflections makes it simple to scuplt the right tone. To get the best of the PCM you'll need to RTFM - understanding the "Shape" and "Spread" parameters is key.

The PCM 'verbs can do everything from transparent small spaces up to huge ambient washes. They're not as pristine as, say Exponential Audio Phoenix/Nimbus or Relab VSR24 (influenced by the TC classics) or as enormous as 2C Audio's Aether/B2, but they are CPU-efficient and reference an iconic sound that's been all over music since the '70s.

It's also worth checking out Exponential Audio's R4, made by Michael Carnes who developed the PCM reverbs. It's in the same quadrant of the galaxy (high-quality modulated 'verbs) with a little more control over modulation, early reflections and attack; plus gate, ducking, distortion, and bit reduction.

Hey are you on TalkBass? Screen name sounds familiar.

dimitris108 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:24 am Opinions please...
Thats a difficult one...
Both are very good, with different sounds and sonics.
Thus the need for several reverbs.

After many years of research I can say that Lexicon PCM is the best reverb plugin by far

For me the way how PCM and VSS3 blends with dry signal is unbelievable

poshook wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm For me the way how PCM and VSS3 blends with dry signal is unbelievable
Indeeed. These two are the gold standard imo and better than just about any other algo reverbs on the market that disappoint me terribly. Most algo reverbs ruin sound as quickly any low quality digital comps and comoressors. They blur the sound and make everythig extremely muddy. Compared to hardware counterparts they lsck depth, width, and clarity.

These two are exceptions. The only other two that interest me after a long list of trials with most reverbs are the mturbo reverb mentioned in another post and Virsyn Reflect (oldie and hybrid of convolution for early reflections and and algo tail) based off some more impressive sound samples online.

AC222 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 pm
poshook wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm For me the way how PCM and VSS3 blends with dry signal is unbelievable
Indeeed. These two are the gold standard imo and better than just about any other algo reverbs on the market that disappoint me terribly. Most algo reverbs ruin sound as quickly any low quality digital comps and comoressors. They blur the sound and make everythig extremely muddy. Compared to hardware counterparts they lsck depth, width, and clarity.

These two are exceptions. The only other two that interest me after a long list of trials with most reverbs are the mturbo reverb mentioned in another post and Virsyn Reflect (oldie and hybrid of convolution for early reflections and and algo tail) based off some more impressive sound samples online.
Curious, have either of you compared VSS3 to Relab VSR24? I know they're not modeling exactly the same TC devices. VSR24 is impressive but feels kind of impersonal to me, and honestly I feel like I'd need better monitors to make use of its nuances. Hearing you compare the blend of VSS3 and PCM (which does something unique - make even dark, colored low-volume reverb audible but not overpowering or muddy) intrigues me.

If Relab VSR24 was a tad more CPU efficient, It'd be my go-to reverb.
All I can say is, it sounds stunning... lush, clean and it's quite flexible.

I found Illusion to sound better - and easier to use (to me).

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:12 am Curious, have either of you compared VSS3 to Relab VSR24? I know they're not modeling exactly the same TC devices. VSR24 is impressive
Random folks on the net comparing reverbs... how valid is that?

VSR24 is version 6, VSS3 is version 3, so this should be enough to make a conclusion.

And TC is physical modelling, the Lexicon is abstract algo. A huge difference.

TC is 'source reverb', Lexicon is 'mix reverb'. Yet another huge difference.

perfumer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am
Winstontaneous wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:12 am Curious, have either of you compared VSS3 to Relab VSR24? I know they're not modeling exactly the same TC devices. VSR24 is impressive
I love algorithmic reverbs and ask random folks about their experience with them in pretty much every 'verb thread. :party:

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 am
perfumer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am
I love algorithmic reverbs and ask random folks about their experience with them in pretty much every 'verb thread. :party:
So how do you know their skill level, style, use - to make a conclusion if their opinion is valid or not?

Just having a talk on a favourite topic? That's different from asking a specific question and receiving an informed and competent answer.

Now look here: 1. Lexicon PCM reverbs are gorgeous, man, they are on countless records, etc. 2. Oh, but they are outdated because Exponential Audio. 3. What kind of Plate and Vintage Plate is that, it's not physical modelling, how can you compare it to VPlate or to Kush plate?! 4. Oh, but they mix better with large track counts. 5. Never mind that, I prefer reverb X from company Y, because..... And so on and so forth - all this becomes rather predictable after a while, don't you think?

i think you're a sad c**t and you should stop taking up space.
as we say in the industry.

i also would prefer exponential audio over lexicon

that vintage plate is a gem though,
i'd rather have that one than all the EA verbs... probably

Return to “Effects”