Lexicon plugin reverb versus TC VSS3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whats wrong with CSR?? I've used convolution reverbs and really CSR is imo, one of the very high end quality reverbs.

Try CSR Plate for vocals (tweak the presets). Try the room and inverse for drums and stuff (just to add ambience).

And as always, you can mix multiple reverb sends for a good reverb effect. CSR + Breverb for instance.

I have tried many reverbs such as Breverb, space designer, Plate 140 UAD, Aether, Altiverb e.t.c.
The only reverb that really felt something is VSS3 and of course Lexicon native plugin nothing else.

The quality that Lexicon provides is unimaginable I just downloaded the demo these days. thinking of paying $1500 is insane but there is nothing else that come close to that as far as I know.
Tc with VSS3 is really good and I have to admit that for some sources like piano, guitars and maybe voice it sounds good, Lexicon sounds good for drums and noisy sources to me.

In general Lexicon costs $1500 the VSS3 costs $500 plus $800 for the PCIe or $1200 or more to powercore or TDM.
Approximately the same price more less.

I am definitely buying that it is extremely good there is nothing like that around for me.

dimitris108 wrote:
I am definitely buying that it is extremely good there is nothing like that around for me.
And all that is your personal opinion, which seems to be what you were thinking from first post.

IMO for me as a long time Lexicon hardware user, I would say that TC stuff isn't in the same league and that Aether is the closest I heard so far. I didn't try the Lex plugs yet though, I'm still feeling that they charge too much for a plug and hope they'll adjust to todays economics. It's not that I couldn't buy the thing(I just bought for up to 40000 bucks of software in the last 2 years, but I don't feel that 1500 is the right price for their plugs.)

And I do respect Lexicon a lot from their past hardware units sound(I mostly worked with my PCM70, but also a lot with the 300l and 480l)

Often these discussion about reverbs seems to be some very personal impressions. At the end it all matters on the results and how my clients feel about the sound of my productions.

I will probably buy Lexicon plugs, but I'm still hoping for some better pricing, there is no real resale value after all!

BTW I also like CSR, EOS, SIR2 and many others, that already proove to be very useful in productions.

Nokenoku wrote:Haven't tried EOS yet, but looking at the controls it's rather a one-trick-pony.
Don't judge a reverb by its controls. If you use these standards, the EMT/UA250 would suck. It only has 4 controls, plus mix. From all accounts, it sounds pretty good. A real EMT140 plate has damping, mix, and maybe some input or output EQ settings, and yet people get by with that (occasionally adding a fixed predelay).

Sean Costello

Don't get me wrong, I also buy good stuff and I own UAD EMT250, Plate 140, Sonnox Reverb, and Space Designer.

I also whould like to get Lexicon if I find a good deal, but anyone though what will happen in a case an update is needed (future os / host compatibility) ?

What they will charge ? $800 for an update ?!

You are all right the price is ridiculous but it seems that is the best one out there.
I guess we have to compromise or not.

All these UAD reverbs are not really working in my stuff but anyway I dont like UAD although I paid for that, I like Duende it is much better for EQ and compressor no comparison.

The X-Verb is good but not good enough for me.

There is another scenario also Lexicon's presets are the best, all the other companies dont know how to make presets or dont have the experience of Lexicon.
The only reverbs that dont have artifacts so far is VSS3 and Lexicon all the others have some kind of artifact especially the tail...

valhallasound wrote:
Nokenoku wrote:Haven't tried EOS yet, but looking at the controls it's rather a one-trick-pony.
Don't judge a reverb by its controls. If you use these standards, the EMT/UA250 would suck. It only has 4 controls, plus mix. From all accounts, it sounds pretty good.
Yes yes .. it can still sound great, but it's not very flexible. Reverbs like that can only be an addition to other reverbs. Nothing wrong with that, but if we compare it to the Lexicon PCM native bundle, it looks like that bundle would cover it all (which it should do with that price).

WMP wrote:I have the choice of either 10 x 50cc mopeds or a Honda CBR900 Firebird hmmmmm which one to get :)
Have they combined the Fireblade and Blackbird to create the Firebird then?

:D

No reverb plugin or bundle offers even a fragment of what the Lexicon bundle does in terms of sound variety/tweakability and quality, so comments about "ridiculous price" are ridiculous. There's nothing even remotely like their Chamber algorithm, and I think it's the highest quality, most "realistic" reverb from Lexicon yet. The Room and the two Plate algorithms are unique. The concert hall algorithm has an amazing sound with a perfect blend of realism + lush "Lexicon sound", and there's no Random Hall-like algorithm in any plugin currently available.

It seems that the Relab plugin is going to be a top notch, very accurate emulation of the Lexicon 480. Sound comparisons that were posted already demonstrate that it nails the 480 Random Hall. It was said that it's going to be much cheaper than the Lexicon bundle, so just wait for it, you don't have to pay $1350 to get "the Lexicon sound".
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Relab plugin? Never heard of it. Any links?

I agree about >>comments about "ridiculous price" are ridiculous<<.
The price is totally ok. Too much for me and many other users here, but still not too much for what it's offering.

Nokenoku wrote:Relab plugin? Never heard of it. Any links?
See here (buttom) and here :).
Plugin's internal codename is LX480.

dimitris108 wrote: companies dont know how to make presets or dont have the experience of Lexicon.
The only reverbs that dont have artifacts so far is VSS3 and Lexicon all the others have some kind of artifact especially the tail...
Artifacts in the tail? No not really on Aether. You should explain what you are saying, because artifacts is a pretty large term.

@Shy, where did you saw $1350 for the Lex bundle?

Any comments are just personal opinions ridiculous or not. Sometimes we can have pretty good overall impressions on a plug reading different opinions, it seems that it's hard not be "bias" when it comes to big names in this industry, but that's the nature of human and the music biz I guess.

ozmoz2008: the lowest publicly allowed quote is $1500. If you contact various dealers, they can offer you that lower price.
And sure, it's all opinions, just stating mine. It's not "bias" at all though. I haven't formed my opinions on the Lexicon reverb bundle vs other software reverbs based on prejudices or preconceptions.

Shy wrote:ozmoz2008: the lowest publicly allowed quote is $1500. If you contact various dealers, they can offer you that lower price.
That's what I thought and saw here and there already.

I think it is still overprice, but that's IMO.(should be more around $1000)

Time will tell I guess, for now I'm not missing anything irreplaceable. I still have my Lexicon hardware if I feel I can't do my mixes without it.
It have been already replaced without any noticeable losses from my client point of view.

Since I am a gear addict, I will probably buy Lex bundle eventually though. I'm waiting for the right time.....like a shark.(just kidding)

I thought so too, but now I'm really waiting for the Relab 480 plugin first. I may miss especially the Chamber reverb from the Lexicon bundle, but since it seems that the Relab plugin really nails the 480 sound (Casey from Bricasti really didn't just say that :)), I think I'll manage with it ;) and I'm definitely waiting to test it first.

I think this is an amazing time. I've been using what's essentially the PCM96 as native plugins for almost two weeks (demo over soon) which has been inspirational and a real delight, getting a sound that really works for me. For over a decade I really wanted to own the 480L (not just use it so sporadically) but could never afford it, but now an emulation of it that's very likely pretty much indistinguishable from it will be available for a fraction of the price, -as a native reverb-. I'm thrilled, the good days are here. Now I just need some accurate emulations of a few modulation-based hardware effects ;).

Return to “Effects”