Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

There are loads of great synths around to play with, so I would rather like that he makes 1176 first cause no one managed to make a proper native emu yet, the closest what it gets to real deal is UAD mkII. And ofc, Glue HD update, this plugin deserves it. :) Than he can make synths. My opinon only. ;)

Hey there Andy. Is there any chance of you or someone awesome like you doing a spice vst that would allow folks to play around with absurdly cpu expensive circuit modeling? There are also some very fun and simple circuits that I think most musicians should/ could understand and even for more complicated stuff it could be used for offline render. Just a thought. Your scream plugin really made me want to be able to fiddle with more of that kind of thing.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

HcDoom wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm There are loads of great synths around to play with, so I would rather like that he makes 1176 first cause no one managed to make a proper native emu yet, the closest what it gets to real deal is UAD mkII. And ofc, Glue HD update, this plugin deserves it. :) Than he can make synths. My opinon only. ;)
My favorites have been the IK Black 76, Slate's Modern 116, and the Softube FET, even though that one is really dirty. It was only a week ago I went and tried every 1176 plugin I could find and those 3 were really the only ones that got the attack/release correct and sounded right for me.

Honestly, Pro c-2 in classic, or Powair could get better 1176 reaction then a lot of 1176 plugins. lol

A Cytomic 1176 could easily be my go-to "perfect" 1176 plugin. That's what The Glue is for me, it gets used over every other SSL plugin i've tried.

Just make sure it has dual-mono/unlinked stereo so It can be use for rear bus duties. :)

Tp3 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:09 am
andy-cytomic wrote:Once I've got enough input and output stages modelled of different devices I'll be keen to get them all into a single product for bus warming.
Hopefully in 2019... :ud:
Probably more like 2020 at the earliest :tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

mrj1nx wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm A Cytomic 1176?? Nice! :o (I also don't have a 3rd party one yet so that will be perfect!) I'd just like to put a little vote (my 2 cents) to pause everything and make that new synth first :pray: :lol:
The priority so far is finish The Scream, do The Glue HD with updated VST3 support, then synth, then 1176 / more stomps :)

HcDoom wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 am The Glue HD and Cytomic 1176...wow...I hope this will happen in Q1-Q2 2019!!! Cant wait!!!
Glue HD I'm aiming for early Q3 2019, but will keep everyone updated when I'm in the swing of it. The 1176 will probably be Q3 2020 at the earliest.

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 pm i've never bought any other 1176 plugins cause i've never really loved the sound of them, but a cytomic 1176 would be an autobuy for me, if it's up to the standards of the glue.
An SSL Bus Compressor is a pretty clean circuit all up, so that makes it easier to model, which is why I did it first! I've got a lot more experience now so I'm confident to tackle it very well, and have both an MD and HD mode for it.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:42 pm Hey there Andy. Is there any chance of you or someone awesome like you doing a spice vst that would allow folks to play around with absurdly cpu expensive circuit modeling? There are also some very fun and simple circuits that I think most musicians should/ could understand and even for more complicated stuff it could be used for offline render. Just a thought. Your scream plugin really made me want to be able to fiddle with more of that kind of thing.
I do have a framework that takes a spice like netlist circuit definition and semi-automatically solves the circuit, and generates c++ code. This code then then gets compiled and run as a plugin. It does require a fair amount of manual fine tuning and expert circuit knowledge to choose which bits to model, and come up with appropriate approximations for what is still needed but not so essential. I've spent the last 10 years developing these tools, and I would prefer to have fun using them to make the best analog modelling plugins on the planet before I look at helping other people to do that!

For The Glue HD I'm actually going to have a look at doing a "UHD" mode for render only. This will feature every op amp (macro modelled) and every basic component in the entire circuit, and every transistor inside the VCAs. For simpler circuits like stomp boxes this is basically what the HD mode already is, but there is always room for more detail for a UHD mode where I throw everything at it and only allow offline render.

I do have an idea for a fun product. Most low component count useful audio circuits have already been invented, and cover a lot of ground. It would make sense to have a plugin that has them all in it already and just let you fiddle the values. It would be easy enough for me to add extra ones to the plugin if people request them.

To this end, I'd just like to point out that LTspice (and a few other simulators) already have .wav file import and export, so you can get down and dirty trying out some ideas right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cym6mcvonfM

I think you'll find that fiddling with a schematic editor is a bit of a bummer in terms of creativity, and that having pre-done schematics that already have some knobs hooked up to tweak out on is much more fun. (eg like the easy edit page of The Scream which has the most important components to change all in one place and some stepped knobs / combo boxes to easily switch values to useful variations)

KVrigf wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:17 am
HcDoom wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm There are loads of great synths around to play with, so I would rather like that he makes 1176 first cause no one managed to make a proper native emu yet, the closest what it gets to real deal is UAD mkII. And ofc, Glue HD update, this plugin deserves it. :) Than he can make synths. My opinon only. ;)
My favorites have been the IK Black 76, Slate's Modern 116, and the Softube FET, even though that one is really dirty. It was only a week ago I went and tried every 1176 plugin I could find and those 3 were really the only ones that got the attack/release correct and sounded right for me.

Honestly, Pro c-2 in classic, or Powair could get better 1176 reaction then a lot of 1176 plugins. lol

A Cytomic 1176 could easily be my go-to "perfect" 1176 plugin. That's what The Glue is for me, it gets used over every other SSL plugin i've tried.

Just make sure it has dual-mono/unlinked stereo so It can be use for rear bus duties. :)
I also like a bit of variation, so doing a synth is fun for me, and after all my work doing The Drop is seems like a good idea to use all those filters in a synth :)

I'm not too concerned about what other plugin developers are up to, I like to sound like the analog hardware as much as possible, and for that all I need is the analog hardware for that!

From my experience doing The Scream I know having a great sounding model is obviously important, but offering full component value editing and randomisation of the entire model is the way forward. Not only can you generate endless subtle or drastic stereo variations, but you can also customise every aspect of the circuit for a particular application if you want. Having all the component values editable also gives transparency on what is actually being modelled in Cytomic circuit simulations, which I hope will give confidence to customers to make more informed plugin purchasing decisions.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 am I do have an idea for a fun product. Most low component count useful audio circuits have already been invented, and cover a lot of ground. It would make sense to have a plugin that has them all in it already and just let you fiddle the values. It would be easy enough for me to add extra ones to the plugin if people request them.
Whoa! Now that's surely gonna rob me of a lot of free time! Would love to play with a thing like this!

One other thing to consider maybe. I wonder if it is possible to create a "virtual summing box" that would register as an audio input/output in the OS? I've seen things like "virtual audio cable" that lets you stream audio from one app to the other. I imagine it is a PITA to support between different DAWs, but hey, just a thought.
Some DAWs allow multichannel busses so theoretically multichannel VST should work too, but AFAIK the channel count is rather limited to bother.

Not your opinion only, mine too. And I really want the synth! :cry: :D
andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 amI also like a bit of variation, so doing a synth is fun for me, and after all my work doing The Drop is seems like a good idea to use all those filters in a synth :)
OK you convinced me, do the synth first. :hihi:
andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 am I do have a framework that takes a spice like netlist circuit definition and semi-automatically solves the circuit, and generates c++ code. This code then then gets compiled and run as a plugin. It does require a fair amount of manual fine tuning and expert circuit knowledge to choose which bits to model, and come up with appropriate approximations for what is still needed but not so essential. I've spent the last 10 years developing these tools, and I would prefer to have fun using them to make the best analog modelling plugins on the planet before I look at helping other people to do that!
President Xi has read your post and asked his teen cyber army to obtain your little tools. Actually he already has them and has had them repurposed to military ends. President Xi says thank you Cytomic. :)
Not joking actually. :scared:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 am Glue HD I'm aiming for early Q3 2019, but will keep everyone updated when I'm in the swing of it. The 1176 will probably be Q3 2020 at the earliest.
I am still happy you gonna make 1176...but...Q3 2020 earliest? :cry:

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 am The 1176 will probably be Q3 2020 at the earliest.
big oof

HcDoom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 pm
andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 am Glue HD I'm aiming for early Q3 2019, but will keep everyone updated when I'm in the swing of it. The 1176 will probably be Q3 2020 at the earliest.
I am still happy you gonna make 1176...but...Q3 2020 earliest? :cry:
Think of it this way: Cytomic released 2.5 plugins in a decade (counting The Scream as .5 since it's technically a beta). To finish off The Scream, The Glue HD, a synth, and then get to an 1176 by Q3 2020 would be an amazing achievement IMO! That would be more products in 2 years than their first 10.

It's definitely not the pace that Ray from Fuse/Black Rooster can release stuff, but much faster than we've previously seen from Andy.

I don’t want to quote such a big post but using ltspice and the simulator here:http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ gave me the idea. Both have been incredibly fun and also incredibly useful for my small forays into hardware building.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”