Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

andy_cytomic wrote:
Yeah, agreed, I will definitely be keeping the plugin around the USD 100 mark. I want it to be affordable to people, the only thing I'm worried about is that the plugin will be perceived as being lower quality because it's less expensive. Too bad, I'm making mine affordable to people and hope they use their ears to judge and not the price tag.

Andrew Simper
yeah I know what you mean - however I have noticed recently this is seems to be becoming less of an issue - with strong responses from Gearslutz on new reasonably priced plugins. I have a feeling this concept of 'expensive = better' may be diminishing in terms of software...Many people are fed up of Waves and dont want DSP solutions or iLoks...people are more hppy to look elsewhere?

If you look at the response the Rocket plug from StillWell got.....:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... ocket.html

.. not to mention all the critical acclaim Voxengo has gathered over the years and his prices are still extremely fair. Even on Brad Blackwood's mastering forum, which are frequented by people who have access to the most amazing gear in the universe, they still talk about Voxengo and even some free plugins (mainly Spitfish as a de-esser).

Among TRUE professionals, price is never an issue.. be it ridiculously high or ridiculously low. The only thing that matters is if it will enhance your work in a matter that benefits your business in the end.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

SWAN808 wrote: If you look at the response the Rocket plug from StillWell got.....:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... ocket.html
.. and these responses are very well deserved. The Rocket compressor is awesome. Period. :)

Cheers!
bManic

bmanic wrote: .. and these responses are very well deserved. The Rocket compressor is awesome. Period. :)

Cheers!
bManic
I guess I'm the only one who was rather underwhelmed by it. Mayby I should try it again.

living sounds wrote:
andy_cytomic wrote:
I'm still working on the examples. There will be many examples completely abusing the compressor at the hardest settings with the most difficult material. I'll make sure I cover the exact case you are talking about, the actual plugin will only have 0.2 ms release as the fastest, but I can do an example to demonstrate at 0.1 ms how it sounds if you want.

All the best,

Andrew Simper
Great! BTW, what I meant of course was 100ms release, the fastest setting on the SSL compressor.
Yeah, my bad, 0.2 S is the fastest time I was going for, but I will do one at 0.1 S to show you that it still holds up. I am having 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.2, Auto as the release times, since this is the best compromise between various models.

Btw, you have picked an excellent example - slow attack, high ratio, fast release, kick heavy drums, this will bring out the worst in many compressors. I have loops like this, but if there is a particular one you have in mind please email it to 'info atsign cytomic dotsign com'. I actually would prefer to use a ratio of 10 to really push the compressor more. It is exactly these types of condition I have paid close attention to in my model, I like abusing and pushing equipment as much as possible and getting it to bend instead of break, 'cause that's where so much cool sound is.

All the best,

Andrew Simper
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy_cytomic wrote:Btw, you have picked an excellent example - slow attack, high ratio, fast release, kick heavy drums, this will bring out the worst in many compressors. I have loops like this, but if there is a particular one you have in mind please email it to 'info atsign cytomic dotsign com'. I actually would prefer to use a ratio of 10 to really push the compressor more. It is exactly these types of condition I have paid close attention to in my model, I like abusing and pushing equipment as much as possible and getting it to bend instead of break, 'cause that's where so much cool sound is.

All the best,

Andrew Simper
I think you've got some real attention now. :wink:

Shogger
What?

keep going Andy!!!

I'm really looking forward to this.

cheers,

dw

Signing on. This looks promising.

Andy's Analog modeling is the best i have heard!!

i dont have this phantom comp though :(

but the stuff i have is :o
unless andy_cytomic is not andy_FX?

Subz

djsubject wrote:Andy's Analog modeling is the best i have heard!!

Subz
I can attest to that!

I've heard rumors of this secret compressor for a long while now, I'm really glad it will be available soon.

dw

andy_cytomic wrote: and having Strobe already used on the number one singles on beat port is pretty friggin amazing for me. Bring it on!

Andrew Simper
Andy, so when do we see the Strobe thing to appear?
follow me on Image

living sounds wrote:This sounds interesting. Can you post an example of the compression, like running an electronic drumloop with a lot of low end kick through it at - say - 4:1, 30 ms attack, 0,1 ms release and a fair amount of threshold? That's where the difference between hard- and software gets very obvious to me.
Ok here are a couple of sets of examples. All dry sounds are copyright FXpansion and are from BFD2 using one of the inbuilt midi grooves and have been put together by Gareth Green specifically for putting compressors through their paces (thanks Gareth!).

First up is the loud kick dry loop, then it being compressed with: Threshold -40 dB, Attack 30 ms, Ratio 10, Release 0.1 S and Range -60 dB, then the dry loop again, then all the same settings but the Range set to Full. The last one sounds way too squashed and flat for any practical use and is not realistic for circuits since they naturally run out of voltage at some point, but it does illustrate what can happen if you don't pay attention when doing analog models:
http://www.cytomic.com/AudioExamples/Ac ... 10Re01.mp3

Second set of examples is the same loud kick dry loop, then heavily processed using Threshold -40 dB, Attack 0.01 ms, Ratio 10, Release 0.3 S, Range -36 dB, Peak Clip On, Makeup of 22 dB, then the dry loop again, then the same settings as before but a Makeup of 32 dB, so an extra 10 dB. This pushes the attack transients into the Peak Clip, but keeps just makes the rest of the sound louder without distorting it (apart from the heavy compression). These are extreme setting deliberately pushing the compressor for effect.
http://www.cytomic.com/AudioExamples/Ac ... 10Re03.mp3

So, I hope that helps a bit. More examples are on the way, and if there are any particular "problem" loops I would really appreciate if you could please email them to 'info atsign cytomic dotsign com' and I will make examples out of them :)

All the best,

Andrew Simper
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djsubject wrote:Andy's Analog modeling is the best i have heard!!
Subz
It's me Subz, thanks for the big ups :) Same guy, Andrew Simper, Cytomic, FXpansion, Vellocet.

With regards analog modeling there are some people doing an excellent job out there, Antti Huovilainen and the guys at Universal Audio to name two.

http://www.cytomic.com/AudioExamples/Lo ... 10Re03.mp3 :o

:tu:

almost as good as http://djsubject.googlepages.com/fusor2.mp3 :-o

just needs your comp on the drums :hihi:

good luck with the new company!!

Subz
Last edited by djsubject on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds pretty impressive indeed. Will need to try the demo once it's out.

Cheers!
bManic

Return to “Effects”