Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

So most know about this mythical FXpansion synth release.

However it seems they may be working on Compressors also - following seeing the Future Music Deadmau5 video - he talks about a compressor that is not out yet - that he's using to sidechain and squash a live signal.

No proof that is was from FXpansion - apart from if you look closely on the Ableton insert it says 'FX Buss Compressor. So.....

He also talks about more FXpansion stuff - some sort of synth preset manager - which I didnt quite follow...

Anyways I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone was interested or knew anything more...

Sounds like FXpansion are pretty busy ATM. Wonder when we will see some of this stuff they are cooking up.....

EDIT-due to further information the thread topic title is changed...
Last edited by SWAN808 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey Swan808,

I coded all the algorithms for the new FXpansion D-CAM Synth Squad, and the mystery compressor you are asking about.

I am starting up my own company called Cytomic, and have gone and re-written the entire compressor algorithm from scratch, improving it on the way. It is based on a very famous mix bus compressor by a British company (if you read the article you will get a hint), but I have given it two little extras essential for mastering: an ultra fast attack time of up to 0.01 ms, and a Range knob which backs off the compression to give incredibly transparent results.

Stay tuned for the official press release, but if you have been searching for a decent native compressor that is reasonably priced your wait will soon be over.

All the best,

Andrew Simper
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

For those who don't have access to FM and it's corresponding article, care to give a hint?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

andy_cytomic wrote: Stay tuned for the official press release, but if you have been searching for a decent native compressor that is reasonably priced your wait will soon be over.

All the best,

Andrew Simper
--
www.cytomic.com
Bold claims. I'm looking forward to trying it out! :D

Cheers!
bManic "iCompressor" :P
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Compyfox wrote:For those who don't have access to FM and it's corresponding article, care to give a hint?
www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

Andrew Simper
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy_cytomic wrote:if you have been searching for a decent native compressor that is reasonably priced your wait will soon be over.
ok, that sounds interesting. i'll wait.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

andy_cytomic wrote: www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm
So if I got this right, you're creating an e-series SSL comp clone in plugin form?
*the only SSL comps I know come from Waves, which have a G-series master bus comp*

Interesting...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
andy_cytomic wrote: www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm
So if I got this right, you're creating an e-series SSL comp clone in plugin form?
*the only SSL comps I know come from Waves, which have a G-series master bus comp*

Interesting...
I have improved the graf design in several ways, so it is probably somewhere in between an E and G series design. The compressor is already in use by quite a few major artists and has already appeared on numerous charting releases. As an example here is one quote:

"... it is simply on every track i've done so far since i have it. As a master, or sidechain, its simply wonderfull, punchy or smooth. I come from a 100% hardware environement, and so it tooked me a while to find a good alternative." - Sebastien Leger

All the best,

Andrew Simper
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd bomb you with questions right now, but apparently, you don't have a PM option available.

If there's any way to contact you outside of the official boards or via PM, I'd love to do that.

Compyfox wrote:I'd bomb you with questions right now, but apparently, you don't have a PM option available.

If there's any way to contact you outside of the official boards or via PM, I'd love to do that.
Feel free to ask questions in public, anything I would be happy saying to you over PM I am happy to say to everyone. I try to be as open and sans BS as possible when it comes to the analog modeling I do. I'm actually putting together a blog page on audio dsp and have several people lined up to publish papers and discuss analog modeling etc. Hopefully we can dispel some hype and myths around audio dsp tech.

Andrew Simper
(edit: my sig is working now so I've editing the manual one away on my posts)

andy_cytomic wrote: "... it is simply on every track i've done so far since i have it. As a master, or sidechain, its simply wonderfull, punchy or smooth. I come from a 100% hardware environement, and so it tooked me a while to find a good alternative." - Sebastien Leger

All the best,

Andrew Simper
--
www.cytomic.com
That's what many said of the Waves version as well..

Personally I'm a bit bummed that it's an SSL like plugin. I do like the SSL bus compressor (I've got experience with the 4k E/G desk and the various standalone clones) but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting in the plugin domain. Cloning hardware is getting pretty boring in my opinion. There is so much more that can be done in software. I mean, take a look at what George Massenburg is doing at the moment or what Daniel Weiss is doing with his DS-1 range.

Could you in the future apply your expertise in analogue modeling to come up with something that sounds really good but could not possibly be created in the analogue domain? Now that'd be interesting! :)

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hey Andrew,

do you still need an experienced beta tester?

Shogger
What?

bmanic wrote:
That's what many said of the Waves version as well..

Personally I'm a bit bummed that it's an SSL like plugin. I do like the SSL bus compressor (I've got experience with the 4k E/G desk and the various standalone clones) but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting in the plugin domain. Cloning hardware is getting pretty boring in my opinion. There is so much more that can be done in software. I mean, take a look at what George Massenburg is doing at the moment or what Daniel Weiss is doing with his DS-1 range.

Could you in the future apply your expertise in analogue modeling to come up with something that sounds really good but could not possibly be created in the analogue domain? Now that'd be interesting! :)

Cheers!
bManic
Hey bMaic,

I will not comment on competitors products. I prefer to focus on what I'm doing and make sure it sounds as good as the analog, but uses the benefits that digital has to offer on top of that.

Hopefully this will not be a boring hardware clone. I have added some extra things to the model, which are optional, but really help. The most important is the Range knob, which I find essential for mastering applications. It is a bread and butter type plugin, it's useful on every mix, and I think it's a solid place to start as my first plugin for my startup. In time hopefully I will be able to collaborate with the types of people you have mentioned, but I need to walk first before I run.

All the best,

Andrew Simper

shogger wrote:Hey Andrew,

do you still need an experienced beta tester?

Shogger
Hi Shogger,

I am all fine in the beta test department, thanks for the offer though.

Andrew Simper

andy_cytomic wrote:Hi Shogger,

I am all fine in the beta test department, thanks for the offer though.

Andrew Simper
Cool Andrew.

Good luck with your new stuff and company.
I still remember your very beginnings. I had and used them all back then! :D

Shogger
What?

Return to “Effects”