McDSP 6050 – Comps, EQ and Saturation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmm, definitely fine in Reaper here, also the VST3 iirc.

Frankly, I like the 6050 a bunch. But then again I use reason and have had those LB plugs for a long time.

I haven't had any of the issues and the recent update (ish?) has the presets working in S1. I paid 49 bucks for it so, it's just another tool in the arsenal.

I tried using a splitter to make a multiband compression effort. I was testing with a track recorded using a large condenser in a live room with the drums, so it has tons of unwanted bleed.

The Tracktion Crossover did not produce any pleasing results. For starters it was impossible to set the bands to anything that didn't mangle the track. Then I played with just isolating the vocal range into a single band to apply compression. Eventually I got to a decent place just using an EQ to set shelves so I can isolate the band. I used TDR Nova for the visual feedback. I don't know what Nova was doing but it was raising the volume quite a bit. TCrossover was mangling the audio.

Ultimately, an 1176 emulator on the original track sounded better without bothering with band isolation gimmicks.

This experiment made me reconsidering getting a colorful multiband compressor in the arsenal, like the 6034. I didn't really see myself needing a colorful multiple compressor, when a transparent one would do. But now that I've looked at the demos and gained an appreciation for the complexity of separating the bands musically, that 6034 looks mighty attractive.

One thing at a time, though. I'm still waiting to be given access to the 6050.

Update on the 6050 for Windows:
- It mostly works. There's no sidechain- confirmed by McDSP that it doesn't work on Windows, but they said they do expect to fix it in the future.

- The thing about the settings carrying over when you swap a module, as to audition with the same settings, sort of works. They are a bit off, some more than others. In general terms I accept that it is not easy to match settings for these things, so I'm ok with it.

- I don't know if it does this on other platforms, but I have to be very delicate when I move the knobs because if I drag the knobs too fast it gets weird and either goes into an insane feedback loop blasting my speakers, or creates a pop so loud that it triggers some sort of fail safe in my audio drivers/system and my speakers disconnect from the session. I have to save and close the project, and then open it again which re-engages the audio system and reconnects the speakers.

That's quite a list of oddities for such an established brand. However, the plugins are worth the trouble, particularly at the $50 price point. And I live in hope that they'll get better at Windows development and release a corrected version.

The one thing I hate about the 6050 or the 6060 is that it's not drag/drop from the menu. It's annoying to have something that you like, you accidentally replace it because you haven't selected another strip (FWP, but still) and then go back. Would simply be easier if all the modules were listed and then you could drag/drop accordingly. Also, the "meters" for input and output are lame. Visually it looks as though you are cool and then farts out with the dreaded red. I don't get it.

You are supposed to be able to pick a module by clicking on the module name at the top right, and that gives you a dropdown with all the modules, but at least on my PC it doesn't work. So add that to the list of Windows problems.

I noticed the meter thing. I think if you near -1 or -2 db it flashes red even if it doens't clip. I was so puzzled I even tried a brickwall limiter right behind it to make certain there was no clipping, yet there goes the red.

The thing with the loud pops and my audio drivers disconnecting seems to happen often, even while I'm aware of it and trying to avoid it. I treat this thing with kid gloves. It definitely needs a bug-fix update.

I think I have the pops too, but so do other things. I really do hate that. For me I simply like the sound, but I probably won't renew my sub.

Oh, and yes, windows support does seem a bit less. They finally fixed the vst3 presets in the last update.

Return to “Effects”