Chromatic Hits, Sidekick and Out There reviews on rekkerd

Official support for: lesproductionszvon.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A good review of the Chromatic Hits and the Sidekick sample sets just came in today from rekkerd.org. You can read it here:
http://rekkerd.org/review-les-productio ... ercussion/

Here are 2 excerpts from the review:
- about the Sidekick set: "The Sidekick instruments ... have a special kind of velocity layers. Many of the instruments have completely different sounds for the same note, depending on the note velocity, which feels a bit weird at first but is actually of lot of fun."

- about the Chromatic Hits: "Browsing the instruments is quite an adventure, unique & unusual indeed."

This is the second good mention for the Chromatic Hits set, the first being in the What's New section of the March 17, 2008 EM Cast (Electronic Musician magazine's podcast).

Out There set review here:
http://rekkerd.org/review-les-productio ... out-there/
Last edited by zvon on Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

congratulations!
I think they said it pretty well.

Will Chromatic hits work in Guru or RMX?
Thanks,
Geoff
There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres. Pythagoras

mikebeck wrote:congratulations!
I think they said it pretty well.
Thanks Mike, I know that you're a staunch supporter of the Chromatic Hits :wink:

geoffrey wrote:Will Chromatic hits work in Guru or RMX?
Thanks,
Geoff
First keep in mind that the Chromatic Hits were designed to be played chromatically across the keyboard, like a piano. The soundfont and sfz formats included should allow this use for most users. That said, it does not mean that they cannot be used differently. As the individual samples (as wave files) are included in the sfz format, they can also be used in any sampler or drum sampler that loads wave files to create custom mappings and kits.

I do not know about RMX as I never tried it but I have GURU, though I am far from being an expert with it. But based on my current knowledge here are some things to consider with GURU:
- GURU has 16 pads and most of the Chromatic Hits single sounds have more than 16 samples, so for instance you will not be able to load all the samples of single sound in a single GURU Kit. On the other hand 16 samples are still a good number of samples and you can have the sample of a specific pad play at different pitches in a pattern with the graphs so a pattern could be chromatic.

- Nothing prevents you from combining samples from different sounds in a single GURU kit. Add to this the fact that each pad can hold up to 8 samples with the layers and that these layers can play all at once or be triggered by velocity or round robin or randomly, I am sure that some very creative results can be attained.

- You could also record a pattern created with the soundfont or sfz versions and then import it in GURU for further slicing/tweaking.

So the short answer :hihi: is yes this set can be used in GURU and the long answer is that it will require some (or a lot of) work. You will not get the exact same results or chromatic playability from the keyboard but many interesting creative uses are possible.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask me other questions if needed.
Last edited by zvon on Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A little bump for the review!

Out there set was reviewed on rekkerd.org today.
Here's an excerpt:
- Once again Zvon has produced a lovely sample collection that is both unique and unusual, and useable at the same time.

Read it all here:
http://rekkerd.org/review-les-productio ... out-there/

Nice one! :clap:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Many thanks!

Return to “Les Productions Zvon”