Axiom hardware/interface loops?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Axiom

After playing with some Helix hardware in Guitar Center recently, I had an idea.

For those who have interfaces with a lot of i/o, it would be cool to be able to incorporate external pedals and processors into Axiom as send/return loops on our interfaces. The advantage would be giving the ability to put them pre or post amp. So we could put our favorite oddball reverb pedal in the post-fx section, for instance.

Or is this too complex or outside the scope of Axiom's intended use case? I have yet to see any software that allows for this functionality. (Not even Helix Native will do it, because any presets from the hardware units containing send/return loop blocks are nulled inside of Native).

I realize that this can be achieved in Patchwork, to a certain extent, but would lack the flexibility of pre or post-amp effects without breaking up an instance of Axiom into something like Destructor and an the EQ/IR loader plugin.

The problem with adding send/returns in an audio app or plug-in is that every send and return will add latency, due to D/A then A/D conversion + buffering. It is an idea we would like to try at some point, but I am pretty sure the latency will be a problem.

So it is probably easier to just put the pedals before the input of Axiom and after the output (which should cover many cases anyway, right?).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”