Guitar synth

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The release of the boss SY-1 has made me kind of want a software version, is this something that your're considering building at some point ?

Already exists but with much greater functionality! Check out Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2.

Thanks ! That does ring a bell but I had completely forgotten about it !
I don't see mention of MPE in the specs though, is it able to do manage micro tuning and bending several notes etc ?

We do not have plans for a guitar synth right now, but we'd rather split the tracking (audio to MIDI) and synth tones as separate plug-ins, so that you can use any tone / virtual instrument.

Cool, makes sense. I guess the only downside about that approach is that the limitations of midi apply - e.g the polyphonic bending and micro tuning that require MPE to work, and MPE support is still a bit hit and miss.
An all in one solution gives a bit more freedom on that front, but decoupling problems is of course always attractive.

Indeed! I did not think about it. So the SY-1 is entirely polyphonic?

Blue Cat Audio -- The Boss SY-1 is a baby version of the SY-300. It is polyphonic but probably has some limitations. e.g. It doesn't have any MIDI out. I had an SY-300 briefly but sold it because it never felt quite right to me and I got more playing enjoyment mileage from the Roland VG-99.

FastTriggerFish -- I'm not in a position to answer about MPE because I don't really know what it is but I can say that with MG2 the converted/outgoing MIDI data is transmitted on a single channel (regardless of monophonic/polyphonic selection). It follows single-note microtonal bends very well if you correctly match the P.B. range in MG2/the synth you're triggering. It will not deal well with bending more than one note at a time in any event.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”