Late Replies - Vintage Delays

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Blue Cat!

So I just picked up the latest Valhalla Delay and I'm having fun with the vintage delays like the BBD style for guitar. Very dark and dirty sound, especially as it feeds back!

Switching over to Late Replies, interestingly, some of the Tape Echo presets seem to sound a bit similar to the BBD style delay on the Valhalla plugin.

Any suggestions on some of the factory presets as starting points that can mimic some other flavors of vintage delays, like a Binson EchoRec and a Roland RE-201? Also, is there an "official" setting for a BBD style delay in Late Replies?

Thanks!

+1 on this!
Tappistry wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:38 pm Hey Blue Cat!

So I just picked up the latest Valhalla Delay and I'm having fun with the vintage delays like the BBD style for guitar. Very dark and dirty sound, especially as it feeds back!

Switching over to Late Replies, interestingly, some of the Tape Echo presets seem to sound a bit similar to the BBD style delay on the Valhalla plugin.

Any suggestions on some of the factory presets as starting points that can mimic some other flavors of vintage delays, like a Binson EchoRec and a Roland RE-201? Also, is there an "official" setting for a BBD style delay in Late Replies?

Thanks!

I think the two delays you are referring to are actually tape delays. So check out the presets with "Tape" in the name, it should do the trick. :-)

For tape echoes, the idea is to reproduce their audio characteristics using built-in effects in the feedback loop(s):
- full wet Chorus for flutter / modulation due to the non-constant speed of the tape
- Compression and/or distortion
- low pass filtering

BBD delays are another type of delays that have their own characteristics. They do not have flutter (you can remove the Chorus), but still produce quite a bit of distortion and low pass filtering.

Yes, the RE-201 is a classic tape delay.

The EchoRec, however, uses a magnetic drum instead of a tape. It was used heavily by Pink Floyd, you can hear it on “Astronomy Overdrive,” and “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” Gilmour also used it to make the creepy underwater sound on “Echoes.” So the character of that one, IMO, is different than a tape delay.

https://youtu.be/Du4xm2IG53I

There’s a fair amount of variation of sound due to the age of these units that are still around. Recently maintained/repaired units sound different than ones that haven’t.

Thanks for breaking down some of those delay characteristics. The stock tape presets are quite nice, especially for guitar. :tu: I’ll see about making some of my own BBD-mimicking patches. :)

:tu:

The new Late Replies 1.4 released today has some more tape settings. And it's now easier to find presets using the new presets browser :).

Tappistry wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:46 pm The EchoRec, however, uses a magnetic drum instead of a tape. It was used heavily by Pink Floyd, you can hear it on “Astronomy Overdrive,” and “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” Gilmour also used it to make the creepy underwater sound on “Echoes.” So the character of that one, IMO, is different than a tape delay.
Indeed. It looks like you may want to add low-cut filtering to your feedback loop to sound closer to this.
There’s a fair amount of variation of sound due to the age of these units that are still around. Recently maintained/repaired units sound different than ones that haven’t.
The good thing with Late Replies is that you can probably emulate pretty much any of the models, and more! :D

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:56 am :tu:

The new Late Replies 1.4 released today has some more tape settings. And it's now easier to find presets using the new presets browser :).
The latest LR update feature list is impressive! Can’t wait to play with it tonight when I have some jamming time. :)

Looks like my timing for requesting more vintage delays was a nice coincidence.

Indeed!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”