Axiom oversampling issue

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I noticed strange Axiom behavior when I increase oversampling in Destructor module. The plugin starts to delay processing for several samples. Both online and offline.
2-3 samples is not a big deal, but it can kill any parallel processing in the low-end due phase cancellation.
And since I like to use Axiom for drums and bass processing, it would be good for me to not have the phase conflicts.
Axiom1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's not a delay but there are phase shifts because of the anti-alias filters (to avoid latency they are not linear phase). That's why there is a mix knob in the destruction section: you can do parallel processing from within the plug-ion without any phase issue.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:37 am It's not a delay but there are phase shifts because of the anti-alias filters (to avoid latency they are not linear phase). That's why there is a mix knob in the destruction section: you can do parallel processing from within the plug-ion without any phase issue.
Hmm, I thought the higher sample rate the "softer" anti-alias filter slope and therefore the less phase shifting. :(

Of course, I can use the built-in Mix knob. But it would be good to use Axiom as a bus tool(i.e. on Aux track).:)

Every oversampling stage will actually be filtered (it is recursive), hence introducing phase shifting. The only way to avoid this is to use linear phase filters that will be much more CPU-intensive and introduce latency (and pre-ringing artefacts).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”