VST MA version of Plug-n-script

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any chance the Plug-n-Script plugin can be released as a VST MA version for use in Cubase Midi FX slot?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think this type of plug-in is still actively supported by Steinberg (I have actually never seen anyone releasing VST MA plug-ins!). We do have a MIDI Audio Unit version for Logic because it is officially supported, but Steinberg may deprecate this anytime (just like they did for VST2)...

It’s currently the only way to insert midi plugins on a per track basis as an insert in cubase. The Sdk is still downloadable from their developer page

https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html

and cubase ships with half a dozen midi plugins in that format. There are supposedly a couple third party plugins in this format out there, like "Frank's plugins", but not many. Its not a commonly used SDK that is for sure. Nonetheless, if you want a midi insert in Cubase, this is the kind of plugin that has to be used. A scripter in that spot would be so useful.

Right now in Cubase you handle VST2/3 midi plugins by putting them in the rack and routing midi over to the rack and back again to your instrument.

Anyway, just asking....

"Cubase ships with half a dozen midi plugins in that format", but has not added a single one for a long time, AFAIK.

Nonetheless the sdk is still there and it’s still the only way to insert midi fx on cubase tracks. The fact nobody has been doing it has more to do with why waste time makin a plugin that only works on cubase midi inserts when they can do vst2/3 and works in other daws. A scripter in this format would provide a lot of value for cubase users. Just sayin. The plugin format is absolutely not deprecated, despite the fact there are few plugins for it. The fact you can’t get many plugins in this format is exactly why a scripter would be so helpful

Digital performer has a similar issue in that they only support MAS midi plugins as inserts on their midi tracks too, another place a scripter would be really really helpful. But you have to email them for an sdk for it.

We will have a look at it once again, but I would not trust Steinberg regarding potential deprecation ;-). Anyway they have not provided updates nor support for it for years...

Tis true. anyway, if you can't do it you can't do it. I do not know it well enough to know how substantially different it is from VST2/3. I think perhaps VST MA gives more direct access to stored midi data, but not entirely sure. I actually don't think they will change it any time soon because they have their midi plugins they made a long time ago that are sitting there working fine with it and with functionality that people need. Same goes for MOTU's midi plugins, they are MAS midi with a very old SDK that hasn't bene updated in probably decades, but they aren't going anywhere. The bigger problem on both counts is getting support or information on how to develop for it.

Be that as it may, AUMFX plugins have proven to be extremely useful on LogicPro. Cubase and DP both use their proprietary plugin formats for the midi insert slots...and in both cases you have to route midi over to a rack somewhere and back again in order to use MIDI FX...which works ok, but not ideal. Plug-n-script as a VSTMA would rival Logic's Scripter plugin functionality for Cubase users....I think it would be a major boost. But I digress...

I don't know Cubase, but I'm under the impression there is a workaround for using plugins that generate MIDI. Cable Guys MIDIShaper explains it this way:

http://www.cableguys.com/midishaper-cubase.html

Can Plug'n Script VST's be used with this workaround?

There is a work around that involves putting each instance on the rack and routing midi around. It’s not not always ideal. Dp has the same work around

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”