Remote Control = convert Ableton Clip CC to Timeline Automation?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. You probably don't have to be familiar with Ableton Live to help me but this is the problem I am trying to avoid: In Ableton Live 10, you have to draw CC automation into a clip in an inconvenient place, not simply on the timeline, a.k.a. Arrangement View, like most DAW's (yeah, it's horrible). On the timeline, you can draw automation for things like volume, panning, plus control plugins and virtual instruments like most DAWs. However, for C1 and C11 automation, you have to dig down and toggle another area. So, imagine you can't draw C1 and C11 automation on the timeline of your DAW. However, you can draw automation that controls VST's like Remote Control... hmmm.

I searched here and assume someone may have done this already but I can't find it. Feel free to point me to that thread and thank you.

Here is what I am doing so far. I just purchased Remote Control. I dropped a violin section to one track and created an additional midi track (midi 4 in my screenshot) and dropped Remote Control 16 onto that. On the RC16 track, I created automation for C1 fader and C2 fader. C1 outputs CC1. C2 outputs CC11. On the violin track, I simply set it to "in" from midi 4 track. Fantastic. Now I'm drawing on the timeline in Arrangement view (on midi 4 track) and don't have to toggle down into the clip thing to draw. Works fine so far.

So, what's the problem? Well, I'm greedy. I want Ableton Live to work as I imagine it should. I would like to draw my automation right on the violin track.

1. Is there a way to put RC16 on the same track of an instrument and control CC1 and CC11 of this track? Or put it on another track, a send, I don't know.. anywhere so I end up actually drawing or recording on the instrument (violin) track?
2. In my current setup, the violin track has to be armed for it to receive the CC1 and CC11 from the "midi track 4". I can record the data but that puts it into the said, "stupid clip area". I'd like to avoid this if anyone knows how.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.::Your favorite band sucks::.

Well, i'm actually glad no one responded. You would think the dev would help but that's cool. I don't know much about this forum, maybe he doesn't see it. So by trying to use the plugin, I came across a trick in Ableton Live that let's me record and edit my CC automation right on a track instead of the Clip view. I've watched many experts on YouTube complaining that this can't be done and it isn't mentioned in the manual. The work-around is through Ableton Lives midi mapping. You can control anything with anything, much like what I bought Remote Control for which I don't need now. Oh well, maybe I'll use it for something else later. Some kind of advanced mapping of my Behringer Xtouch Compact? Don't know.
.::Your favorite band sucks::.

Sorry for the late reply. We took a few days off for the end of the year.

Regarding your questions:
1.You can put the remote control on the same track as the instrument. You will however still need an extra MIDI track to route events from the Remote Control to the instrument if I remember well Live's MIDI routing.
2. You actually need to enable MIDI monitoring on the track that carries the Remote Control MIDI events, but I don't this you have to arm for recording, if I remember well:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”