Question about Late Replies Feedback Loops ---

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

Just bought Late Replies to use for some looping work.

Here's my question:

How would I suppress new audio going into the feedback loops?

Basically I have a long loop (hosted by Augustus Loop) feeding back in the feedback loops and I want to be able to keep playing and NOT put more audio into the feedback loop.

Reading the manual I thought the "In Mix" control would do this: turn that down and I would turn down the audio going into the feedback loop. That is not how it works though.

So questions are:

1/ how to do what I would like to do (if possible) inside the plugin
2/ what is In Mix if it isn't this.

Thanks!

ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

.....?

... Sorry, needed to edit my initial reply

If you're trying to capture a sound live and create a loop out it you may be going about it the wrong way.
There's software out there can do this but I don't think it's either Augustus Loop or Late Replies though I might be wrong on both accounts.
Maybe check out:
https://midnightmusic.com.au/2014/06/a- ... ve-looping

+++++++++++++++++++
Sounds like you misunderstand what a feedback loop is or at least how it works...
It's a where the delay feeds back into itself (loops back into itself) for repeats and you can insert a plugin at that point to effect how the sound is modified before it is processed by Late Replies again.

So let's say the you LR set up repeats 4 times - you could put an effect, let's say distortion, in the loop so that each delay gets more and more distorted. If you turn off the level going into the feedback loop then you get no repeats.

Search https://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_LateReplies/ for 'loop'.
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

If I understand well your request, that's the very purpose of the "freeze" function.

I'll try that! Thanks. While I have your attention, can you share with me what the In Mix does? I appreciate it.

I appreciate the serious effort that went into to making this tool.

TheSteven, putting an Augustus Loop in the feedback loop, 100% wet, 0% feedback and then using Late Replies to manage the input level, feedback level, etc allows you to put other audio processing into the loops feedback. So you could put a tape simulator into your feedback loop and the signal would degrade over time with each repeat. I've been doing this with hardware mixers and loopers and delay pedals and in software for a long time (maybe too long.) :)
Last edited by robbmonn on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmm. Freeze doesn't do what I thought it would from your description. When I engage freeze I just get a high pitched tone.

the signal flow for the FB unit seems to be such that there is no control over the signal going into the loops. The technique I'd like access to is similar to what a lot of dub producers do with their tape echo: have the echo set so that it is right on the edge of howling with feedback but not quite, then ride the send into the space echo to gently add signal into the tape delay.

To do this with LR, there would beed to be a gain control before the fb loop that allowed one to attenuate the level of input going into the loops. Preferably there would be a control for each loop. Confusingly this seems like it ought to be the function of either freeze or in Mix, but it doesn't seem to work that way. In the meantime I can set up what I need in the mixer in Ableton, but again, something very handy about LR would be the capture the config in a preset so that it is portable and replicable.

Hmm. So I think that I figured it out. So that I could achieve long loop times and have tap control over lengths I am not using LR's built in delay unit, but inserting Augustus Loop into the feedback slot. This works very well except when it comes to freeze, it would seem, as freeze freezes the buffer for the built in delay, which I have set to ms as I'm not using it.

So I can see how my use case isn't using the tool is it is designed -- I *do* wish there was a solution though as it would make my weird use case so much more interesting, especially with loop crosstalk, etc.

Thanks again.

You should totally make LR have tap tempo looper functionality, though -- I think that it would be a great sales opportunity.

Right now there are no good software loopers available that work well and are being maintained. Ableton's built in looper is wonderful, but has a few very bad bugs that haven't been fixed in 5+ years, Mobius is 32bit only, Sooperlooper and Augustus Loop have their own issues and are not being maintained.

(if you do make it a tap tempo looper, allow it to support long loops, though -- a setting that gave it 3+ minutes or so)

robbmonn wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm I'll try that! Thanks. While I have your attention, can you share with me what the In Mix does? I appreciate it.
In Mix: volume of direct non-repeated signal processed by the loop effects. Typically the volume of the first repeat, not processed yet by the feedback loop, but processed by its effects.

Regarding your particular issue, if you are using only the feedback loops and want to simply stop the incoming signal, why don't you just insert the "mute" build-in plug-in anywhere in the signal chain before the loops? (for example in the pre section))

Freeze indeed also adjusts feedback so that the audio in the feedback loop regenerates itself (so it works like a looper). If you insert effects in the loop, you may have to adjust the gain to avoid feedback (you can insert a gain plug-in in there to control this).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”