Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.3 Available, with Drag and Drop support

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:51 am 3. LFO's/modulators. It would be really cool if a modulation section could be built in, allowing users to assign plugin parameters to LFO's, input followers, etc. for more fun.

4. A multiband util in Patchwork. Yeah, I know MB-7 is the multi-band plugin, but it would overkill for some application. Plus, it's relatively easy to workaround the lack of a multiband utility in Patchwork using other multiband plugins, so just having a built-in MB splitter would be a nice addition IMO. MB-7 would continue being it's own thing, with far more capabilities than a simple multi-band splitter in Patchwork could offer.
I second these two requests. It would be great for sound design to have each of these feature requests granted.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:12 am
Thank you for the suggestions. Please find below our answers & comments.

1. 2.3. parameters / macros etc: we have plans to improve parameters assignments in the future - there is quite a bit of work on this topic!
Apologies to thread revival. It's been almost three years after this was commented (and pointed out by Funkybot's Evil Twin ). I just watched several Youtube videos.

1. Do I miss something obvious or this is still not possible. Macros? One can not assign (example) one knob (like a Macro) which will control several other parameters? Something like in Ableton Rack, or Reason Combinator or other DAWs. Is that possible or not?

Plus there is neat trick in all of the DAW "combinators" I tried and that is - Macro Min and Max value - where (example) moving macro knob from full left to full right will change mapped control according to min and max value, not necessarily fully left or right.

I see many improvements over the years, perhaps this one slipped under my radar but I can't seem to find it? Perhaps Blue Cat's Plug'n Script can do this?

2. I loaded latest demo and PDC is not working. Whatever I load inside Patchowrk is always zero latency. UAD plugins for example. This has worked before ? (or perhaps I messed something in my memory). It's like Patchwork can not detect plugin latency and report it to a host. I must be crazy I saw that working or perhaps I saw video..It was long time ago when I was into these things. Sorry if I am asking something stupid but clearly UAD plugins were never zero latency.

Macro params are indeed still in the todo list, but we have made some progress behind the scenes to get there, slowly :-).

PDC has two facets in PatchWork:
1. parallel chains and unprocessed channels are delayed to compensate for latency if any.
2. overall latency is reported to the host application.
However some host applications (such as Live I think) do not support changing the latency dynamically during a session (which happens when plug-ins are loaded in PatchWork), so you may have to disable/re-enable Patchwork using the host's bypass button to have it ask the plug-in for its updated latency.

I am interested in Patchwork and want to know if it supports multithreaded processing, which also has an effect to PDC when loading some VST(i).

MorpherX wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm I am interested in Patchwork and want to know if it supports multithreaded processing, which also has an effect to PDC when loading some VST(i).
The latest preview indeed implements multicore processing so that each parallel chain is (potentially) processed on a different core. However it should not affect PDC in any way.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 am
MorpherX wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm I am interested in Patchwork and want to know if it supports multithreaded processing, which also has an effect to PDC when loading some VST(i).
The latest preview indeed implements multicore processing so that each parallel chain is (potentially) processed on a different core. However it should not affect PDC in any way.

Thanks for the info !

2 more questions:

1. If I buy Patchwork is in that version multithreaded processing included and is there also multiprocessing when using third-party Fx in chain (let's say I am using 1 VSTi and 5 third party Fx)
2. Would it be possible to add Drag and Drop for Patchwork presets from a browser (OS-Browser or DAW-Browser).

Is it somehow possible to route the signal in a way that if I want to play my superior drummer and send the signal to a high latency UAD reverb the direct superior drummer signal doesn't get delayed ?

rasmusklump wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am Is it somehow possible to route the signal in a way that if I want to play my superior drummer and send the signal to a high latency UAD reverb the direct superior drummer signal doesn't get delayed ?
I don't think so - if the UAD plug-in reports its latency, there is currently no option to ignore it.

MorpherX wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:27 pm 1. If I buy Patchwork is in that version multithreaded processing included and is there also multiprocessing when using third-party Fx in chain (let's say I am using 1 VSTi and 5 third party Fx)
Multicore processing is already available as a preview for all existing owners and will be released as a free update. It works for VSTi or effects. BUT you can only process on separate cores plug-ins that are not in sequence (so it only works for parallel chains). If the next plug-ins has to wait for the previous plug-in's output, they obviously cannot be processed in parallel.
[/quote]
2. Would it be possible to add Drag and Drop for Patchwork presets from a browser (OS-Browser or DAW-Browser).
You can already drag and drop plug-ins from the OS browser. Unfortunately it is not possible to do it from a DAW as each DAW has its own proprietary (and undocumented) format for drag and drop.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:38 am You can already drag and drop plug-ins from the OS browser. Unfortunately it is not possible to do it from a DAW as each DAW has its own proprietary (and undocumented) format for drag and drop.

I wrote about "Patchwork Presets" which can be saved, not Plugins !
In the latest Demo this seems not to work, but would be usefull to have it !!!

MorpherX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm I wrote about "Patchwork Presets" which can be saved, not Plugins !
Oh indeed! Sorry for misreading. Drag and drop is currently not supported for presets, but will probably be implemented in the future (probably when dropping the preset onto the preset LCD).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:12 pm
MorpherX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm I wrote about "Patchwork Presets" which can be saved, not Plugins !
Oh indeed! Sorry for misreading. Drag and drop is currently not supported for presets, but will probably be implemented in the future (probably when dropping the preset onto the preset LCD).

Yea, that would be great, especially much faster than with the menu if a user has many presets.
So I will buy Patchwork with the next update !

MorpherX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 pm Yea, that would be great, especially much faster than with the menu if a user has many presets.
Have you tried the new presets browser? That's integrated into PatchWork and it's pretty fast to browse presets compared to the menu. You can also search for presets:

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 pm
MorpherX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 pm Yea, that would be great, especially much faster than with the menu if a user has many presets.
Have you tried the new presets browser? That's integrated into PatchWork and it's pretty fast to browse presets compared to the menu. You can also search for presets:

Oh, I have indeed overseen this, that's really good !
Then hurry up with the official support for multithreaded processing and I am a new Patchwork customer.
( But Drag/Drop is still a feature request from me, because a user could handle faster an outside OS browser, but the internal browser is a big improvement )

MorpherX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm ( But Drag/Drop is still a feature request from me, because a user could handle faster an outside OS browser, but the internal browser is a big improvement )
We now have it implemented in the lab, it's nice :-)

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”