Simple Question about Scaling in Inter-plug MIDI Control

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings-

I think this is a simple question with an obvious solution, but I haven't been able to locate an explicit answer. If there's a document/video that discusses this issue, I'd be grateful if someone pointed me to it.

It concerns parameter scaling in the flow of control from one BC plug to another when using MIDI CC information. When one modifies a parameter using the "MIDI & Automation Settings" dialog, you can fiddle with the tweak settings: "Control Min" and "Control Max." How is this tweak scaling the data flow?

For example, let's say I have a piece of audio with an amplitude scale of -96 to 0dB. If I select the MIDI CC output of a Peak reading in DP-Meter Pro, it has a scale of -120 to 0 db (although this can be changed). I presume that in the MIDI CC control flow, the 96dB scale of the original audio is "accommodated" (ie un-scaled) inside the 120dB range of DP-Meter's Peak CC data?

If I'm sending this CC data to BC's Gain plugin, it's volume range, as stated in the MIDI & Automation Settings, is -60 to 60dB, or a 120dB range, just like DP-Meter. So in BC Gain, in its default setting, is my original audio initially scaled to -36dB to +60db, or -60db to 0 db? And if -60db to 0dB, is the range compressed, or is the bottom 36dB truncated?

Finally, assuming DP-Meter accommodates my 96dB audio inside of a 120dB scale, if I change the default Control Min/Max settings in BC Gain to, for example, -30 to +30db, is a 120dB scale being compressed into 60dB, or is a 96dB scale being compressed into 60dB?

MIDI control in the Blue Cat plugs is ultra-cool. I always felt these controls were very powerful, but I've only recently realized how easy they are to set up and get working.

Thanks, Charles
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

MIDI CC has values ranging from 0 to 127. So the range selected in the MIDI settings is used to map the parameter value to the [0-127] MIDI range (or [0,1] for automation).

So with [-120dB,0dB] scale, the output of the DPMP plug-in will be 0 for -120 dB and 127 for 0dB. For the gain plug-in, you will simply get -60dB for 0 and +60dB for 127. So by default -120 in the DPMP plug-in will get you -60 dB in the gain plug-in and 0dB will get you +60 dB.

So there is not much math involved in the end: you just need to select the range on each side.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”