Axiom: Mapping builtin FX parameters to Logic's Modulator MIDIFX

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can somebody please spell out exactly how to do this? (Such as, say, the Freq knob in the post-FX Filter device…) I've no doubt already clicked on way too many randomly stumbled upon, inappropriate settings parameters to ever get back to some simple square-one place where I can actually succeed in getting the Logic Modulator's Learn Plugin Parameter menu option to just work. I've read the manual, actually once before got this to work a few weeks ago (sheer luck), but I've just now wasted an hour trying to do it again… Help! TIA!!

I am not sure how Logic's Modulator works, but I guess you need to first map the parameters in Axiom (the amp sim works like a built-in plug-in regarding parameters mapping). More info can be found in the effects video (starting at 5:48):

https://youtu.be/qtnefD8sTjM?t=5m48s

Excellent, thanks, very clear. But here's what happens when I try to follow along:

Fix? Thanks again!

EDIT: Fixed by reloading Axiom without saving.
Last edited by David on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David wrote:...
Such as, say, the Freq knob in the post-FX Filter device…
Here's how I'd use Logic X Modulator midiFX to modulate the "Axiom's Filter device" inserted within the post master slot.
-Click on the device (Filter) to get the drop down menu and navigate to "Params Map" to select "Freq".
It'll assign the first/next available Control (Control 01 in my case).
-Go to Axion Plug in menu (tree horizontal lines - most left on top of Axiom's window) and open Global Settings (can choose Preset Settings if you prefer).
-Go to control input and scroll down the list till Control XX (the one used before) appears.
Click it (= Enable Midi) and choose the CC# used by Modulator (To field).
Hope this help.

Thanks for the suggestion, looked good "on paper", and I think I followed your direx, like so:

But no joy yet. Can't connect to the Modulator or get track automation to see the knob movement:(

Just to be sure.
Did you instantiate Axiom as a "AU-MIDI-controlled Effects" having Logic's Modulator residing within the same Track?
It definitely works here.
Cannot figure what's wrong looking at your pict.

EDIT: Started all over again with a new project and followed the video demo linked above to the letter…and NOW it's working! And not as a MIDI Controlled fx either, just a regular one. The trick (unless it was something else weird in the first project), seemed to be checking the Control 01 entry in the track automation dropdown list for Axiom, even though I wasn't going to record automation. At this point the Modulator's Learn Parameter setting DID grab the new mapped knob on the post-slot effect when moved. Solved, thanks again!

No, Axiom's just loaded as an ordinary effect below the instrument on the instrument's channel. It'd have to be on it's own channel to be available as MIDI Controlled. But that's not necessary for the Modulator to work. It easily grabs the Spread knob on Axiom's main panel when set to Learn Plugin Parameter, and the knob moves along with the lfo, no settings needed in Axiom. Turning on Enable MIDI/All Parameters in Axiom's Global settings doesn't make any other knobs work that didn't before.

Same is true when I do put Axiom on its own track as a MIDI-Controlled FX, with the Modulator on that track and the synth track side-chained in. I can get the Spread knob going, but no other Axiom controls, even with the Global setting to enable MIDI on All Parameters.

(Wonder what's different about that Spread knob?)

Thanks for your help!

Was just about to write to "-Click on the device (e.g. Filter) to get the drop down menu and navigate to "Params Map" to select "Freq".
It'll assign the first/next available Control (Control 01 in my case)." before to "Learn Plug-in Parameter" from Modulator.
You beat me up.

Much appreciated:)

Glad that it finally worked for you. "MIDI" is indeed often misleading in Logic as it sometimes refers to "controls" instead of actual MIDI events.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”