Delay kill in Late Replies?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Blue Cat,

I asked you guys before about this in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=500028&p=7086442#p7086442

But i guess it makes more sense to continue the discussion here.

I haven't yet managed to implement delay kill in Late Replies.

In order to get an effect similar to what you can hear in the sound examples below:

download/file.php?id=14962

This was done in VPS Avenger using midi kill, although i guess you could achieve a similar effect using the incoming audio to kill the previous delays.

I tried it according to your suggestion of using a compressor inside the loop, but that just kills all audio that hits it. So it'll kill the ringing previous echo, but ALSO kills the new echo = no sound coming through at all! (this is with a compressor set to limit and threshold -60, so a true kill).

Do you see what i mean? Can you tell me where i can find a preset like you mentioned to see how you did it?

Thanks!

I think I had in mind something like the Echo/Forever Loud preset. The compressor will however modify the sound so maybe that's not what you exactly want. Have you tried triggering the buffer flush via MIDI too?

One other thing you can try (if you already own the full version) is the new "Mute" plug-in that can be found in the preview of the next version. You should be able to control it with MIDI CC. In this particular case you may want to use 2 loops, each of them being used alternatively, so that the other one has enough time to erase itself.

Thanks Blue Cat,

I'd humbly suggest you build in-loop ducking into a future version, as there's a whole parallel universe of sounds and FX that will only be possible when we have complete and lightning fast control of the amount of residual delay after a new note is received.

Once it's possible you'll be able to treat Late Replies almost like a synthesizer, with even short percussive sounds becoming long textures, but it won't sound like a complete mess every time a new sound enters the delay line.

You really should get hold of Avenger and test the midi kill feature, it's razor-sharp, then reverse engineer how they did it.

So i think you need both the choice of an envelope follower (with sidechain EQ) or midi triggering to kill the delay.

And also very important is a "dB amount" for the kill, so you can choose to kill the delay either totally or only (for example) 20dB.

And if you want to get fancy you could also add time constants like "attack" and others if appropriate.

True midi kill may indeed require a specific implementation (for "instant" kill: other methods take time to empty the buffer).

However have you already tried using a side chain compressor in the loop (the side chain would control the kill effect) or the MIDI-controlled "mute" plug-in available in the latest preview?

Please please please could we have that special implemention! :D

I don't see how side-chain or mute in the loop could work as it will kill the delay, but will also stop the new sound from coming through.

I agree it might be a workaround with slower sounds, pads etc. but it's just not gonna be fast enough for short percussive sounds, apeggiated stuff, solo leads etc.

Trust me, if you implement it you'll vastly expand the capabilities of Late Replies! It's already the best delay plugin, this would just take it further ahead of the competition.

Just to check, did midi kill of delay get implemented in late replies yet?

Mr D wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 pm Just to check, did midi kill of delay get implemented in late replies yet?
No change regarding this. Can you remind me what midi delay kill is exactly supposed to do? I remember discussing the topic a while ago, but I am not sure I am all clear about that.

OK!

It let's you kill the ongoing delays in the buffer with a MIDI note. As far as i know, only Avenger has it.

While i've got your attention, could i ask you also to take a quick look at this question?:

viewtopic.php?t=607001

Mr D wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm OK!

It let's you kill the ongoing delays in the buffer with a MIDI note. As far as i know, only Avenger has it.
I guess it has do be done with appropriate fade time if you want "smooth kill".

I think you're right, you need an attack time to avoid clicks, but the point is it would be triggered by MIDI, so wouldn't be susceptible to the kind of jitter and unpredictability you can get with audio-triggered envelopes.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”