Blue Cat's Plug'n Script V3 Released - Now with VST Plug-in Export!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:tu:

Does this thing support multiple midi outputs? I would buy it to port over some of my Kontakt scripts for use with other products if so.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

What do you mean by multiple MIDI outputs? As an application? Most plug-in formats do not offer multiple "physical" outputs, but you can use multiple channels.

Vst3 supports multiple input and output midi ports with 16 channels each. Ideally I’d like to process on input stream of midi and have it output to many different vsts, but with slightly randomized velocity, pitch-bend, breath, and modwheel data, per channel. I’ve made this inside kontakt, which, internally, can address 64 midi channels. What I would like is to be able to assign up to 8 or 16 midi channels on up to 8 different ports ( like channels 1-6 are sent on output port A, which would be assigned to the first six channels of an instance of Kontakt, but with six slightly modified streams of data, then channel 1 again, but on output port B, would be sent to an instance of the SWAM flute, but again with a different randomized midi stream, then channel one on port c would be sent to another instance of SWAM soprano sax with slightly different midi and so on, but all with the amount of randomness scalable from the script interface), so I can address many instuments with a single input steam of midi. The fact that all this data has to be sent out to multiple vsts makes it more complicated obviously. There is another scenario where I could just make many single channel versions and use one for each vst, but that seems like it would do be an extremely inefficient way of doing things.

So yeah. I’m wondering how many MIDI output ports you can build in the software when using it as a VST3.

Would the demo be functional enough to just test all this out? I don’t know exactly what the demo limitations are.

Edit: Added more info to make the idea clearer. I’ve built this same rig in Kontakt, Bidule, and reaktor, but none of them worked very smoothly and they couldn’t give me the midi routing I wanted so, unless it’s a Kontakt instrument, just recording the part multiple times is easier. I’d like to be able to do this all in one go though.

Also is there any documentation that covers the midi implementation. I can’t find a list of the names of the various messages, but in the “random velocity script” it directly pulls the value of the velocity to make sure it’s a non zero value. Does this work for all the different controllers? If so is there a document somewhere that has the proper syntax for each?

Also, is there a command to delay midi/automation data? I understand audio buffering, but it doesn’t seem to work for midi data. Most languages I’ve used have some kind of “wait” or something that you can use for a delay before an event happens.

Say I want to grab all incoming pitchbend data and set a variable equal to that for further processing? How do I grab that data from the block. I don’t know what the proper “Midi Util” command is there and I can’t find any documentation.

So I got it sorted without using the “midi library” but it seems like that library would be very useful if it had any documentation.

Also with the method I’ve used I could use my Bidule setup and use less cpu than this “dedicated processor”.

@Ah_Dziz: sorry for the late reply. Plug'n Script has only one single MIDI output, so you would be limited to 16 channels here. You could however use several instances if you need more channels and more processing capabilities.

The included MIDI library is just a simple implementation to read or write standard MIDI events. The documentation is included in the Midi.hxx source file.

In order to create a MIDI delay, you just need to store incoming events into a buffer and resend them later when the delay has expired. There is no built-in function to do this at this point.

Are there any example plugins made with this that are NOT by Blue Cat? Interested to see, if there are.

faxinadu wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am Are there any example plugins made with this that are NOT by Blue Cat? Interested to see, if there are.
The other day I was looking for a metronome vst and found this:
http://soundbytesmag.net/review-revisit ... cat-audio/
Not sure this is what you meant.

Kinda :) its a start.

A colleague bought this and is liking it, and I am always a sucker for checking out dev platforms, but I would like to see if people are actually making actual things with it before I bite :)

If this thing had a WYSYWIG editor for the gui that would be a insane.

faxinadu wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am Are there any example plugins made with this that are NOT by Blue Cat? Interested to see, if there are.
There are many people using Plug'n Script for internal projects or custom utility plug-ins. I don't think many have officially released plug-ins yet.

But there are already a couple of open source scripts and binary dsps that have been shared in our repository (none is these script is by us). Also, you may want to check out @ilyaorlov's awesome productions, such as this incredible compressor measurement tool - entirely made with Plug'n Script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4FeTQ8Ct0
f this thing had a WYSYWIG editor for the gui that would be a insane.
There is no full WYSiWYG editor for the GUI right now, but you the built-in GUI is fully configurable and lets you alreay do decent GUIs for simple plug-ins. Also, it may be possible to go into this direction in the future, with a GUI that would let you generate other GUIs. Just have a look at what @ilyaorlov was able to achieve, using pure KUIML!

Lalaland wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:52 pm If this thing had a WYSYWIG editor for the gui that would be a insane.
Hey! That's similar to what I'm working on right now! Deeply customizeable skin is ~70% there. It'll let you customize colors, fonts, toolbar, meters etc. Plan to share it with community.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”