Blue Cat's Plug'n Script V3 Released - Now with VST Plug-in Export!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First of all please forgive my ignorance. I have zero experience writing scripts but purchased V3 because it seems like a great place to start. Do you have any recommended reading to get me started with angel script and coding writing in general? I’ll keep rereading the manual but I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around it.

I’m completely willing to put in the time to learn I’m just not sure where else to look. Thank you much.

Dave

twoifbysea wrote:First of all please forgive my ignorance. I have zero experience writing scripts but purchased V3 because it seems like a great place to start. Do you have any recommended reading to get me started with angel script and coding writing in general? I’ll keep rereading the manual but I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around it.

I’m completely willing to put in the time to learn I’m just not sure where else to look. Thank you much.

Dave
Angel script is very similar to C and/or Java. I was able to write some code using elements like conditionals and loops without even cracking the manual because I just assumed that they would be like C/Java and they were. The Angelscript online manual is pretty good, but, it's a language reference manual and generally assumes that you know why you'd need loops and conditionals, or whatever else it is that you're reading about.

Here's the thing though, you won't get very far with coding plugins with understanding the syntax of the language. What's challenging about writing plugins isn't so much the code as it is the math and theory behind the code.

So, the place to start is with an idea of what it is that you want to code, research the theory behind that thing and go from there.

ghettosynth wrote:
twoifbysea wrote:First of all please forgive my ignorance. I have zero experience writing scripts but purchased V3 because it seems like a great place to start. Do you have any recommended reading to get me started with angel script and coding writing in general? I’ll keep rereading the manual but I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around it.

Dave
So, the place to start is with an idea of what it is that you want to code, research the theory behind that thing and go from there.
Sound advice, I'll start there.

Angelscript is indeed very close to C++ and java, and there is not much to learn about it to wrote DSP code (apart from the handles, as described in the Plug'n Script manual). Also, since you can write native (compiled) scripts in pure C or C++ too(or any other language that can export a C interface by the way - so you can use Delphi or Fortran if you wish), this is what you will probably end up doing for optimal performance (but it is still recommended to use angelscript first to get started - converting to C++ later is a piece of cake).

It's hard to give advice and pointers about programming if we do not know what about what you are trying to achieve. You will typically not need the same knowledge to write MIDI plug-ins, audio effects or virtual instruments.

From personal experience, a very good way to get started with a new programming language and development tools is to find a reason to modify some existing code -- for example to add features. Plug'n Script comes with a lot of examples that should be ideal for this.

What are the chances of adding multi touch support and could you provide an example script for a plugin that has no audio functions and just has an interface element that outputs midi to the host?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Multi touch is not in the plans right now. What would you use it for?

You can already do MIDI-only plug-ins as shown in the examples: just ignore audio and do what you need to with the MIDI events on the processBlock function.

Just getting started with Plug n Script. I noticed there is a factory preset for a Looper. This might be a place for me to start!

What I'd like to create is essentially a software version of the TC Electronic Ditto X4 Pedal:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x4-looper/

Two independent loop controls with overdub, an adjustable decay-stop control, plus an effect insert with things like a tape stop, half speed, double speed, and fade.

Would this be possible with PnS? Any experienced users please feel free to chime in, I'd love to hear some good starting points.

It should indeed be possible to do this with Plug'n Script. Feel free to share your work and thoughts on this project!

Good luck! :-)

Can I use python? Python has a angelscripr set of standard and functions. Anyone tr,?

Python is not supported but I guess you could write a wrapper/loader using the C interface.

Can't believe I haven't stumbled upon this thing before! It seems to be pretty much my dreams come true (and I didn't even test the demo yet... but certainly will :) )

One question, forgive me if it has already been addressed somewhere: Being a Logic user, I'd love the ability to export Audio Unit plugins. As I understood, this is not currently possible? Any plans to implement it at some point?

AU export is indeed not supported today. We hope it will be at some point, but we cannot promise anything, so you should not bet on future plans.

Is it possible to do advance UI like a frequency graph? Any included examples? Now that this supports exporting to VST I am extremely interested.

Do you mean the frequency response of an EQ for example, as shown below?

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”