Blue Cat's Destructor, a Distortion and Amp Simulation Modeler - Now Available! [Updated 1.01]

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Destructor V2

@kylie: unless your pc has compatibility issues, it is very strongly recommended to upgrade to Windows 7 or 10 (forget about Windows 8...) anyway: XP has been deprecated 2 years ago and is not supported by Microsoft, so I'd be worried to rely on it...

although I generally agree with you... it's a separate hand-picked setup that runs more stable than any other machine I had since the early 90s (except those running linux, that is ;) ). so I'd rather be worried not being able to rely on it.

somehow I had the hope that MS new rollup update policy (cumulative since fresh install) will be in place soon, but apparently I was wrong. it's not _that_ easy to get a fresh w7sp1 patched up to current anymore...

Tried Destructor and bought it right away. A fresh take on amp modelling and distortion. Everything from really nice clean to totally insane distorted/destroyed sounds and the editing options are brilliant. This one begs for creativity and creation of unique guitar sounds and more. Thank you! :-)

Glad that you like it! Feel free to share your unique creations (presets, sounds or videos)!

Blue Cat's Destructor has just been updated!

V1.01 mainly brings improvements to the demo version (removing some limitations) and fixes a few issues found in the initial release (full details below).

The update is free for existing customers and can be found at the same location as the initial full version (link received by email upon purchase).

What's New:
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- Fixed: no more comb filtering when using the mix knob with oversampling.
- Fixed smooth bypass crossfade (used to produce clicks).
- WARNING: On mac the plugin now requires Mac OSX 10.7 and newer - support for 10.5 and 10.6 has been dropped.

Enjoy!

Just purchased the Plugin and wanted to quickly express how powerfull of a tool this is. Sadly, it is mostly conceived (and marketed) as a distortion plugin or even guitar amp modeller, but it is so much more than this. Really. After playing for a day with the distortion module I found it to be easily one of the most powerfull dynamics-processor I ever came across. Let me shortly explain.

At its heart, the plug-in is a waveshaper with adjustable time-constants for kicking in and out. Or, put it the other way around, a compressor with adjustable distortion characteristics. Really, its both and it is combined in a way, that is just genius. For instance, one can distort lower level signals more than higher level signals (or vice versa, but that is normal behaviour), to make soft passages stand out without raising the signal level to much. Very handy with male voices or brass! And the "ballistics" of the regulation is highly customisable, too. Its not just basic time-constants for an either linear or exponential regulation, but really tuneable in between (slower or faster onset of regulation etc.). Basically, one can mimic almost every "color" compressor that is out there, and then some. All the "overshooting", the "nonlinearities", the even or odd harmonics it adds, the snappy or sluggish resonses, it's all in there. And it even is light on the CPU. I just can't believe that you Blue Cat Audio guys kinda missed out on this huge flexibility.

Ofcourse, there is a little caveat. Which is, that it is not as quick to dial in as some of the usual devices. OTOH, the visual feedback of the moving transfer-function makes it easy to understand, whats happening, when distortion is applied and when not etc. So yes, there may be a daunting amount of parameters, but once you got a hang on them, it's actually quite easy to operate. Took me definately longer to wrap my head around some of the "classic" devices than this one, which is, from a audio-technological point of view, very straight forward. And it sounds damn good.

Add in the the pre- and post-EQ and it's actually the perfect "colored" channel strip. That's how I will mainly use it. Sometimes, maybe, occasionally, also on guitar ;-)

Glad that you like it and that you use it for more than distortion! Destructor is indeed actually a universal non-linear processor rather than a pure distortion plug-in, that's why there are several non-linear compressor settings that do not sound much like "distortion".

It can be used as a channel strip that can model the behavior almost any type of analog device if you take the time to tweak it a little bit. That's typically the way it is used in the following videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGTw9dYdt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ORJnTQMcQ

You can add warmth, grit, or completely mangle the audio signal. But it's a bit of an hybrid plug-in: "generic" distortion or analog modeling plug-ins usually do not work well on guitars whereas this one was initially specifically designed for it...

I'm still a huge fan of Destructor, but --

There don't seem to be any secondary skins for it. I've moved to a 40" 4K monitor, and the GUI is wayyyy too small to be usable now. I see that you have a skinning manual, and that larger skins are a possibility. Unfortunately, my system doesn't want to display the .chm file for me. I'm willing to fight my way through the process and learn enough to make my own, if need be, but with 4K coming on strong this year, it might be worth your while to offer it as a feature.

I personally would really appreciate a global skin that enlarges everything about the current one by 140%-160%.

Is it unrealistic to surmise that somebody on your team could whip out something like this in a matter of minutes? :P

Hi,

We actually have better than that in store (not public yet, though). Check your PMs ;-)

Just now checked my PM and replied. This is gonna be most excellent! :hug:

:tu:

I've had a couple of evenings to fool around with the proposed beta for Destructor. Needless to say, I've only skimmed the surface, because this is a surprisingly deep piece of software. There are a few tweaks which make it more usable, with more control over defaults and presets. And the important thing that I requested, variable-sized GUIs. Works flawlessly for me on Win7 x64. Now I have a big enough image on a 4K monitor to start getting my hands dirty with all of the functionality of this plug opened up completely.

It still has tone for miles. I honestly don't see a need any more to load other sim suites. Just have Destructor as your core, and precede it with best-in-class effects and follow with Rosen or 3Sigma cabs, if you're not satisfied with the built-in filter cabs. No compromises necessary.

I'm totally delighted! Great job, Blue Cat!

Thanks for the feedback, glad that you like it! :tu:

For other customers wondering what we are talking about, there is a new preview version available (check the download page received by email upon purchase, there is a link to next release preview at the bottom).

There is quite a bit of re-amping done with Destructor on Martin Miller's guitar tone in the video below, so we'd like to share this incredible Queen medley with you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRtvYalZf0

Anybody using Destructor in a non-guitar context? I just reinstalled it after not using it for long. I'm planning on using it as a coloring box for my tracks and busses.

How are you using it? How would you rate the tape, tube, etc. type saturations?

It's such a powerful plugin, I really want to take advantage of it.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”