I want to do mid/side processing with either Patchwork or Mixer v2, can I?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own both Patchwork and mixer v2, and I work in Pro Tools 11. I know Mixerv2 has mid side processing but not (i believe) in the way that I wanted to use it. I want to be able to send a stereo bus to the plugin, split the signals into the component m/s parts and put AU's independently on the Mid and Side , recombine and output to DAW.

I've tried to do the maths (L-R) etc with patchwork in sum mode, and in theory with a phase reverse plugin I should be able to get this to work (reserving an extra column for my chosen plugs) but so far no luck. Maybe the lack of mono channels is a problem?

Has anyone got an idea how to do this, or even have a preset that achieves this? thanks all!

Hi,

The mid/side mode of the plug-ins will indeed not let you use different plug-ins on different channels. However, if you have plug-ins that operate in dual mode (different L/R settings), they will be converted to Mid/Side when using the M/S mode.

I don't think there is currently a clean and simple way to do this.

Is there an update to this? Patchwork and mid/side different processing?

Deleted

I figured out how to do this using NUGEN SigMod, a track utility plugin, inside Patchwork. But I need five instances of it and it's a bit complicated. I started out believing I could do it with free utility plugins like Voxengo MSED, Plugin Alliance bx_solo, DMG Track Control, etc. But I need (among other things) a way to mute either the right (side) or left (mid) channel without muting the other. SigMod does this without having to resort to panning hard left or hard right. It is a very useful tool but costs $49 US.

Four instances of SigMod go on the two parallel chains -- one before each of the two processors (effects, dynamics or whatever you want) and one after each processor. The fifth instance goes in the post processing chain.

Before each processor you convert LR to MS and then mute the part you don't want the processor to see. For a stereo processor, you probably also want to split the unmuted component to both outputs. For a mono processor, leave the unused output disconnected.

After each processor, you use SigMod to insure that the output of the processor only goes to one channel of the post processing chain. The post processing chain gets signals on both input channels, but one is mid and the other is side rather than right and left. The SigMod instance in the post processing chain just converts MS to LR.

Note that some details depend on whether your processors are mono or stereo. But the compensating advantage is that you can use either kind of effect for the mid and/or side components.

There is actually a very simple way to do this, now that PatchWork has built-in mid/side encoder and decoder plug-ins and audio I/O selection for each plug-in slot.

Check out our Mid/Side processing tutorial here to see how you can simply use mid side processing with any plug-in:

Wow, thanks. Mind-boggling possibilities!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am There is actually a very simple way to do this, now that PatchWork has built-in mid/side encoder and decoder plug-ins and audio I/O selection for each plug-in slot. ...
Totally missed that. Now I'll have to check to make sure my copy of Patchwork is up-to-date. Thanks!

It is definitely recommended to keep it up to date. Version 2.3 is totally worth it, at least for drag and drop! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAiLgtcopQ

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”