Could Blue Cat Audio plugin updates be easier?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish that your great plugins had either 1) a version number in the update file, or, more complicated, 2) a "check for updates" option within the plugin. (Or, perhaps, an installer for all your plugins, that checks the purchased ones are updated. But I am having mixed feelings about having so many manufacturers doing this lately.)
At least 1) I would find most helpful to check quickly if I am up to date. Would this be possible?

I really dislike when version numbers are not part of the downloaded file. I have to say though that the BCA is not a big issue for me because the version number is shown on the download page and I just add it to the file name myself. Now that my download link (not sure if that is new but I only just noticed it) is included in the update notification email it's a pretty great system they have. No mixed feelings about an installer here. Forget about it.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Aaahh, you remind me of another (small) annoyance: I always have to search in my Gmail to find my original download links. Nobody else makes me do this! I always try to remind myself to create a note with my different links, but I always forget. Too many plugins, too little time... (I hope I don't need to clarify I am a Blue Cat Audio fan, so these are meant to be constructive comments.)

morelia wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:03 am I really dislike when version numbers are not part of the downloaded file. I have to say though that the BCA is not a big issue for me because the version number is shown on the download page and I just add it to the file name myself. Now that my download link (not sure if that is new but I only just noticed it) is included in the update notification email it's a pretty great system they have. No mixed feelings about an installer here. Forget about it.
I also add version numbers to my downloaded files, just for reference. I usually keep a backlog of a couple versions after I can make sure the new version works ok. (I haven't had a problem with any Blue Cat product yet in that regard.)
pumafred wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 am Aaahh, you remind me of another (small) annoyance: I always have to search in my Gmail to find my original download links. Nobody else makes me do this! I always try to remind myself to create a note with my different links, but I always forget. Too many plugins, too little time... (I hope I don't need to clarify I am a Blue Cat Audio fan, so these are meant to be constructive comments.)
Blue Cat sends your download link along with the update notification. I guess the trade-off for having a library of plugins that don't check for updates, is that you know Blue Cat values your privacy by having software that doesn't "phone home" at any time, ever.

If you use an encrypted password manager like LastPass, you can save your license info and download link into that for easy reference. LastPass has a special software license category, so it adds fields like serial number, date of purchase, download link, etc. I've done that with all of my Blue Cat licenses and it's a nice way for me to access it when I need to.

Good points and suggestions, thanks. And I see we agree having version number on the installation files would be convenient, and surely easy for BCA to implement.

We are indeed thinking about having a "check for updates" function in the plug-in to make things easier (but it would not be automatically called by the plug-in: we do value your privacy, and that's why we do not have a "user account" area: personal information is not stored on the web frontend). We do send notification emails for new versions when you have accepted to receive emails from us, but it is indeed not the case for everyone, and sometimes emails get lost.

@pumafred: why don't you save your registration information locally together with the installers?

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 am @pumafred: why don't you save your registration information locally together with the installers?
I will, thanks, that is why I thanked for "good suggestions".
But all this confirms BCA updates require more work than usual. If each of the (too many) plugins I own required a special procedure for updating, it would become my full time job! :D
A non-automatic "check for updates" would be great.
Thanks!

One more suggestion/request along these lines:

I realize Blue Cat is in the process of updating many of their older plugins to the new vector-based UIs. I didn't know about the Dynamics preview version until BC pointed me to the individual download page. Many of the newer active plugins like Patchwork, Axiom, and Late Replies also currently have or had preview versions available to download this year.

While I realize that Preview releases aren't fully finished, I do enjoy playing with the redesigns and new features sooner rather than later. Could we have a thread that keeps a list of which plugins have preview versions available for current customers, along with lists of the new features? (Obviously without download links, just a reference for current customers to go to their personal download pages).

We usually publish when previews are available for testing. This particular one has indeed not been advertised (yet). It works so well that we want to keep it for us ;-).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm We usually publish when previews are available for testing. This particular one has indeed not been advertised (yet). It works so well that we want to keep it for us ;-).
Looking forward to when you embrace the Christmas spirit and gift it out to the world. :wink:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”