"ZynAddSubFX VST doesn't work in X or Y" PostHere

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No supprise, but it doesn't work with Nuendo either (same code as cubase). Good job, love it... sigh!

doesn't work in the Cubase SX 3.0.2 - but there is the standalone.

Hi, I'm an OSX guy, and have recently downloaded the port by Benny. I love your synth, but the pgm keeps crashing after 5 or 6 instrument changes. I have a 1.5ghz powerbook running 10.3 OS

Thanks! :help:

Paul. I just looked at the code for the plugin. You have implemented the VST all wrong. Get the VST SDK 2.3 PDF file and get some examples from the net, for example, like try search "VST SDK Delphi" as there are some nice delphi samples.

The main problem is you are creating your window standalone. This is wrong. VST Hosts will pass you a window handle which you must use as the parent window for your main form. Make sure that any child windows you create have style STAY_ON_TOP as well.

You must specify in your constructor that the VST has an editor and then crate the window when the host tells you.

Maybe you found this out already, but until you comply fully with the standards it will never work properly.

Best oscillators and filters and FX I've heard for a while though.

deltasp wrote: The main problem is you are creating your window standalone. This is wrong. VST Hosts will pass you a window handle which you must use as the parent window for your main form. Make sure that any child windows you create have style STAY_ON_TOP as well.
Hi.
AFAIK I cannot use existing windows because 1) I am using fltk library for zynaddsubfx in all operating systems (I want the code to be portable
2) I am using many windows.

Paul

You "HAVE" to use the existing window handle that the VST host sends you. You cannot do it any other way. If you don't do this. Your VST will never work.

See EnergyXT as an example.

The window can stay the same from FLTK, but you must get its platform specific "handle" and make it a child of the window passed to you from the host.

Use the standalone program to create the zynaddsubfxXML.cfg and the copy it to VST host's exe directory and VSTplugin folder to fix the VST host scanning problem. Directory depends on the VST host. Some hosts look in the host's directory for external files. Others search in the VST plugin folder.

BUG) VST host scans by quickly opening and closing plugins. When Zyn doesn't find the config file it tries to ask which view to use "Beginner" or "Expert". But VST host unloads plugin and Zyn tries to delete FLWindow* in the FLTK GUI which is wrong type since it is pointing to the "Beginner/Expert" FLWindow*. Probably better to have Zyn assume beginner view mode when config file is missing. But that would need to be fixed in the source code.

I have also posted some fixes, for CanDo() and setChunk() and getChunk() which only exist in the sourceforge CVS source code since Nasca O. Paul doesn't have access to Windows anymore.

Paul, I was playing around with it again and it really is great. If you need somewhere to start with a better GUI, try this page
http://www.pcpages.com/deltasp2002/plugins.htm

At the bottom is a link to a file for POVRAY that has scenes
for drawing excellent 3d knobs and faders. You could put them in ZynAddSubFX by overriding the widgets and making your own.

It's like a "great synth but bad interface" scenario.

Have you considered a notebook approach for handling all thw windows, ie, embed ZynAddSubFX in the VST host window, and then have many pages in a notebook.

Also, another thing. Have you seen how you can save the instrument XML settings with the VST host file by using VST program chunks.

There is an excellent article about it at tobybear productions.

Paul, I really think you should consider charging a little for this synth, even if it's just so you can afford to get yourself a copy of Windows. I've spent a couple of days using it and I must admit I've got used to the gui, it's pretty clear really, it's just a very deep synth. I'm still using the VST version in EnergyXT and it works great provided you don't close the window, cos it won't open again unfortunately. Shame, it ALMOST works.

The sound of this synth blows me away, it puts a LOT of very expensive commercial synths to shame.

I know nothing about coding at all, but I know a great synth when i hear it, I really think you'd be wise to get this working on VST and try and pull in some finances to develop it furthur.

Maybe some VST guru could help port it?

I've tried all available versions of the VST plugin in the latest version of all of following hosts: Orion Platinum 5, Live 4, MadTracker 2 and Renoise.

The only host I've found that can run it at all, is MT2 - in most hosts, the DLL is not even recognized as a plugin in the first place. Even MT2 does not actually recognize it as a plugin, but if you manually browse for and choose the DLL, it does load, and runs nicely.

I think you should go ahead and make this plugin a $50 shareware or something - seems a little crazy to give it away for free, really ... because it really does put the sound quality AND feature set of most major commercial plugins to shame, doesn't it?

Of course though, in order to sell it, compatibility features would have to be resolved - but I would gladly pay $50 for this, if it were shareware.

And I wouldn't mind helping out with new graphics either, just send me a message. (I did about 95% of the graphics for all of the Synapse products)
.mindplay. [ http://www.mindplay.dk ]

Maybe of (development) interest:

A view on the picture actually shows some reasons, why the VST version don't work with all hosts. I mean especially all those contradictionary candos()...

But there is a problem with the loading code never the less on those hosts which actually are able to load (a first time).

(I assume Cubase preloads all plugins on start. Thus at least the second attempt to open the plugin will fail terribly, of course then.)

I will try to trace the problem down next, due to the fact, that I was able to compile the sources natively on Windows ... :)

But a full implementation of the VST standards (song recall, native patch management, multiple instances versus multitimbrality and outputs, and last but not least the usage of the FLTK as a GUI framework) may be not as easy possible, due to the fact, that the entire engine is generally not directly compatible with VST at current state ...

Questions to Paul: Why does the VSTGUI library (also quite platform independant) not work for you? Because of a missing Linux port?

And how important is the support for Windows users for you (I am not that sure, whether you really want to support Windows (especially the VST version) regarding some of your remarks and actions in the last time) ?

Before doing further posting here, take a look at this thread (ZynAddSubFX native Windows port):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97004

i'm new here so HI everyone,
i'm also new with computers/Linux..so thanks for being understanding.
i run ubuntu hoary and downloaded ZynAddSubFX using Synaptic and it shows in the sound/video menu.i click on it and nothing happens?What am i doing wrong?
thanks for your :help: :?

anybody out there?

You should probably check with the Ubuntu people. I would try typing "zynaddsubfx" in a command prompt window and see what it spits out. You may need to have jack running, but I think there's a way of getting it to run without jack, can't remember. You may have a dependancy issue, perhaps a wrong mxml package problem that the package provider would have to fix. I think it's called mxml, or something like that.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”