RMS normalize

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have really appreciated the help I have received here lately, and I wonder if perhaps one of those two gentlemen would have got time to have a look at this issue (/issues), or maybe someone else?

When I read about the Zyn ADsynth oscillator editor, there's supposed to be a RMS button:

“RMS normalize - enables the RMS normalization method (recommended); this keeps the same loudness regardless the harmonic content.”

I have no such button but several others instead (version VST 2.4.1.505) Are those control knobs somehow equal to the RMS?

Another question:

There are 256 knobs in the ADsynth oscillator editor (I don't know if you call them knobs, you can move them vertically) that really puzzles me. The manual says: “Below are the harmonics and their phases. You can use them to add to oscillator harmonics that has the waveform of the base function.” This piece of information is so short! Is there a more detailed description anywhere? (And I also wonder, for example, why the upper row buttons are black in their center as default, whereas the row below is cyan. Do the two rows differ from one another in terms of function?)

I'm thinking about constructing a bass guitar from scratch. It's possible to let the modulator be FM type. Does this mean that I can use the Zyn as a FM synth (frequency modulated)? The amplitude envelope free mode let me set the sustain for the modulation for as many seconds I like to, but something tells me that this wouldn't be the right way to go (a fixed amount of time).

As far as I can judge – before having tried – the Zyn offers superb possibilities to sound like whatever bass in the world – or a new one. But I haven't found in the banks, so far, a bass that I would like to use.
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

I'll answer what I can question-by-question.
per99 wrote:When I read about the Zyn ADsynth oscillator editor, there's supposed to be a RMS button:
I'm curious where this quote is from. It could be from some very old documentation, because I don't remember an RMS switch in either the 2.4 series or Zyn Fusion. Most of the rest of the controls are related to shaping the Waveform how you want it. I'm pretty sure that the current version of Zyn do normalize the oscillator, it just makes sense.
per99 wrote:I don't know if you call them knobs
We call them sliders, typically.
per99 wrote:You can use them to add to oscillator harmonics that has the waveform of the base function.” This piece of information is so short! Is there a more detailed description anywhere?
This is actually the basis of Additive synthesis. It's called Additive because you're adding a whole bunch of harmonics together to create a final sound. This video gives a great overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZKvLnf7wU

With Zyn, you're not limited to just Sine Waves. Each of the Harmonic sliders will add a copy of the waveform in the "Base Waveform" window ("Base Func." in the old GUI), at the position of that Harmonic. The "Full Oscillator" Window ("Oscillator" in the old GUI) is the final sum of all the harmonics (and what you end up hearing).
per99 wrote:Do the two rows differ from one another in terms of function?
Yes. The top row is Volume, the bottom row is Phase (what position in the Oscillator that particular harmonic will start playing from).
per99 wrote:Does this mean that I can use the Zyn as a FM synth (frequency modulated)?
Yes! Although you can't chain one oscillator to another like a dedicated FM synth. You just get one Mod Osc for each Voice in the ADSynth. I'll also say that most FM synths actually use Phase Modulation (PM), so if you want it to sound like typical FM, use that.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Thanks, AJ Young, for such a detailed replay. The document where the RMS-statement is to be found may be old – I don't know. But you find it here, on some kind of official zynaddsubfx forum: http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_2.html

Whether the oscillators are normalized anyway, I cannot really tell, since I haven't started the sound engineering yet. But I guess you're right.

I will definitely watch the video on Youtube.

Well, now you can download the bass guitar from banks & patches.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”