Instrument number search?

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using zyn both as standalone and as plugin with rosegarden on three different versions of opensuse each using a different version of both. It is, in a word, a nightmare when it comes to needing some consistency with instrument (bank) numbers. Rosegarden sorts the instruments by number but the there are even more that 3 numbering schemes in use in the above host.

Is there any kind of secret numbering rationale I should know, or any way to at least do a search for example for "Light-Guitar" and quickly come up with a number for it? I'd love to see a "sort-by-name" option in rosegarden but I have been 'inspired' that that will NEVER happen :-)

As long as you have access to a (recent) GUI then you can use the bank search functionality within either the fltk/ntk/zest(aka fusion) GUI. For fltk/ntk that version was added in was 3.0.3 and for zyn-fusion it was 3.0.0.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:As long as you have access to a (recent) GUI then you can use the bank search functionality within either the fltk/ntk/zest(aka fusion) GUI. For fltk/ntk that version was added in was 3.0.3 and for zyn-fusion it was 3.0.0.

Right now on Suse-13.2 I'm using Zyn-2.4.1-16.1.8. with Rosegarden-14.02. The numbers I'm concerned with are the numbers that show up in Rosegarden. I can increase these numbers by transplanting a more recent 'banks' package. I don't think the present set came with Suse-13.2 but it goes up to 976 instruments and these are all sorted numerically in the rosegarden dropdown list. Here, as an example Lt. Guitar is # 179.

I'll look in Suse-Tumbleweed next. There I think it's Zyn-3.x and instruments go up to over 1,100. It's these numbers that I need to get quickly without having to scroll down the whole list each time I need to find the new number for a sound that has already been *tweaked* into a piece being worked on.

I just realized that I had posted about this a year ago but forgot.

So, I've now loaded Suse-Tumbleweed & using Rosegarden 17.04 with Zyn-3.0.1-3.1. Here Lt. Guitar is #155. The standalone Zyn doesn't offer any search and even if it did I'm not sure what kind of number that would find. For a while I've been using a manually compiled list to hel;p me out but it's a real PITA especially in the case of some instruments that get larger new number offsets than the others.

BTW this Zyn-3.0.1 crashes as soon as I try to load a *.xmz params file into it while on the keyboard style interface.

I would strongly recommend you update the version of the software you have on your system.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

I revisited suse-tumbleweed with a more recent zynaddsubfx-3.0.3-1.1 and found what you suggest, thanks, this can be very helpful when using Zyn as a standalone synth with or without Rosegarden.

But what I'm looking for is a way to tame the zyn-dssi instruments list that shows up in Rosegarden. I might presume that Zyn devs have absolutely nothing to do with nor knowledge of how 'rosegarden' does its thing. I don't know any of this.

In addition to the above synth I also installed rosegarden-17.12-2.1 and zynaddsubfx-dssi-3.0.3-1.1.

Then I start qjackctl, qsynth, zynaddsubfx & rosegarden. In qjackctl-audio I connect as shown in the attached capture image. The problem I cited comes when I next try to set a rosegarden track to a given zynaddsubfx-dssi instrument. See the popup list in the same image. This *number-sorted list* is my topic. It varies in extent as well as in composition in zyn-dssi from zyn release to zyn release.

It could be that Zyn devs have nothing to do with this list, if that's the case then I'm in deep in something brown because as I pointed out rosegarden devs have told me they are NOT about get into this issue. At the same time I'm stuck with suse -13.2 and don't wanna migrate to tumbleweed until I find a solution. I'm working on about 50 songs and redoing all the zyn-dssi numbers is a HUGE job. This is especialy so since I use, within rosegarden the zyn-dssi synth almost exclusively (except when the standalone zyn gives better results for any reason).

audio-setup-capture.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm back with this same problem while trying to rework an older Rosegarden session. I had used "Misc Bells2" in a piece using an older version of the standalone Zyn package. Now using version 3.0.5-1.2 in Suse Tumbleweed and the Zyn-dssi package of the same version I have some problems so I want to load the dssi "Bells 2" EQUIVALENT but cannot find it. I've got all kinds of others but not the one I want.

Bells 1 498
Bells 2 499
Bells 3 500
bells3 785
Bells 4 501
Bell silver 055
beells ugly 730
Bell Fantasy 1079
bell dreaming 1080
bell mega 1082
bell 1112
belly 1113

What is the zyn-dssi number of the same instrument that is " Misc Bells2" in the standalone? Under /usr/share/zynaddsubfx/banks/Misc/ I find "0002-Bells 1.xiz" is there any kind of cross-reference to give me a dssi number for this?

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”