ZynFusion Windows VST Bug List

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well this is disappointing. Was very excited for the new 3.0.2 update, but it is effectively unusable as it is now. Guess it's time to start bug logging!

Using the demo install, Windows 10 Creators Update, testing with Reaper 64-bit and FL Studio 64-bit.

Pre-list question: what's with the "w64-package" folder that comes with the download? it appears as if it's nearly a clone of the folder it's in. Nevertheless, the following bugs occur regardless of if I keep it with the install or not.

1. Anytime the UI is closed, it results in the DAW freezing, forcing a DAW restart. This happens even if I run Zyn as a dedicated process in Reaper. I can't test it as bridged in FL, because that requires closing the UI (and it crashes before I can). This includes when trying to switch to a different FX plugin in Reaper, or deleting the plugin.

2. File>Quit results in a constant stream of error windows reading "[FATAL ERROR] Mruby is unable to continue", followed by an immediate DAW Crash. I reported this a while back with the original ZynFusion release. I don't know why you would ever actually DO THAT using the VST, but it shouldn't end up crashing the DAW. Maybe it should be removed as an option.

3. You can raise/lower the audio level meters in the mixer as if they were controls. The left channel seems to kind of bounce and reset, but the right channel is freely moveable. Playing a note through that mixer channel resets it.

5. Typing keyboard handling is odd. In FL Studio, it is impossible to type into any of Zyn's text boxes, even if you tell the wrapper to have the plugin handle keyboard strokes before the host. On the other hand, Zyn will always handle keyboard intput in Reaper if the FX window is open. But, typing results in the windows error sound playing with each keystroke (which does not happen with other plugins). Enabling "Send all keyboard input to plugin" alleviates this issue.

6. As Marginal Ray mentioned in another post, Zyn's bank/preset list is empty. Which leads me to...

7. The "Load Instrument (Master, Microtonal, etc)" dialog is all kinds of messed up. I can't navigate to C:/ using ".." to go up a directory, nor can I manually type a path in. Zyn (and its presets) are stored in C:/Program Files/VstPlugins, so I can't actually load any presets.

Visual Bugs:
Zyn Load Dialog.png
Very hard to read anything with the transparent background. The "Favorites" drop-down and "Add Favortie" Button also seem to be off.

Minor note: is it possible to delete paths from the Favorites list? I accidentally added my Desktop twice while bug testing and can't get rid of it.

8. Clearing Macros: Sometimes, but not always, clicking the "X" Box next to the Macro Slot name will visually reset all of the controls, but if you click to a different page (different macro, Browser, Part Settings, etc) and go back, the controls are at their previous values.
Also, double-clicking the "Gain" and "Off" knobs do not reset them to default value like other controls.

9.The multiple drop-down bug still exists. If you click on one drop down, and then instead of selecting an option click on a second drop down, it leaves both menus open. It should close the previous menu if you click off of it.

This also seems to lead to the following in the Macro page:
Zyn Macro Drop-Down.png
A drop down appears when you click on the Macro path text, and it differs in content depending on where (left/right) you click. What are these?

10. (Just a minor annoyance) Some parameter descriptions are too long to fit in the lines at the top of the screen. Example:
Zyn Mono Poly Description.png
That's all I've found at the moment, but I will continue listing as I find them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

A new version will be up today or tomorrow to address as many of these showstopper bugs as possible. I had thought that several of these had already been fixed, but it seems my testing environment mislead me. At the moment I do not have physical access to any windows machines, so these bug reports are extremely helpful. Thanks.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

AJYoung wrote:Pre-list question: what's with the "w64-package" folder that comes with the download?
That looks like a relatively harmless bug in the packaging script. For the moment I'll prioritize fixing other bugs and get back to this one before packing up a new revision. As a reminder note, review https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... #L118-L141 to figure out what's creating the clone.

EDIT: It should be fixed now (zip has the weird default that it adds more files to existing zip archives instead of needing to make a new one)
1. Anytime the UI is closed, it results in the DAW freezing, forcing a DAW restart. This happens even if I run Zyn as a dedicated process in Reaper. I can't test it as bridged in FL, because that requires closing the UI (and it crashes before I can). This includes when trying to switch to a different FX plugin in Reaper, or deleting the plugin.
I recall this bug in the past and I can see one previous workaround which wasn't committed to SCM properly. The source is very likely one of three things :
1. a bug in the mruby garbage collection (unlikely as I haven't updated the mruby revision in some time)
2. a bug in libuv closing it's main loop (unlikely, but possible as an existing workaround is in place)
3. opengl resource cleanup fails as the plugin host does not provide the opengl context (the most likely case and there's a workaround to apply) (if this is the case it may be possible to observe the bug on other platforms)

The workaround has been applied, so the next update should not have this problem.

More posts to come as other bugs are addressed
Last edited by fundamental on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJYoung wrote:2. File>Quit results in a constant stream of error windows reading "[FATAL ERROR] Mruby is unable to continue", followed by an immediate DAW Crash. I reported this a while back with the original ZynFusion release. I don't know why you would ever actually DO THAT using the VST, but it shouldn't end up crashing the DAW. Maybe it should be removed as an option.
I had fixed this a few months back, but it looks like when I synced the windows and linux versions it unfixed itself. I've restored the fix and the File->Quit option should only do something when used in the standalone mode. Before doing the update I'll run some tests to verify said fix.

5. Typing keyboard handling is odd. In FL Studio, it is impossible to type into any of Zyn's text boxes, even if you tell the wrapper to have the plugin handle keyboard strokes before the host. On the other hand, Zyn will always handle keyboard intput in Reaper if the FX window is open. But, typing results in the windows error sound playing with each keystroke (which does not happen with other plugins). Enabling "Send all keyboard input to plugin" alleviates this issue.
Researching the specifics of FL Studio it appears that they reroute all events through effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp in a manner which has caused other plugin devs headaches. These are not currently supported by the plugin interface library used by Zyn ( https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF ), but if I can confirm the fix, then I should be able to upstream some code.

AJYoung wrote:3. You can raise/lower the audio level meters in the mixer as if they were controls. The left channel seems to kind of bounce and reset, but the right channel is freely moveable. Playing a note through that mixer channel resets it.
Under the hood they're normal sliders, hence the bug. I have now added a flag to prevent them from receiving mouse events if they're used for display purposes only.
6. As Marginal Ray mentioned in another post, Zyn's bank/preset list is empty. Which leads me to...
Another bug which was fixed previous, but the code failed to merge. The fix should be restored via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... 3ddcee14af

9.The multiple drop-down bug still exists. If you click on one drop down, and then instead of selecting an option click on a second drop down, it leaves both menus open. It should close the previous menu if you click off of it.

This also seems to lead to the following in the Macro page:
Zyn Macro Drop-Down.png
A drop down appears when you click on the Macro path text, and it differs in content depending on where (left/right) you click. What are these?
Two bugs from this report are now fixed. Opening a new dropdown will now close any other open dropdown. The macro path text dropdowns are now removed. It was a demo of how macro parameters could be reassigned after path pretty-printing is implemented.
It was originally mapped to the placeholder text as seen in: Image

8. Clearing Macros: Sometimes, but not always, clicking the "X" Box next to the Macro Slot name will visually reset all of the controls, but if you click to a different page (different macro, Browser, Part Settings, etc) and go back, the controls are at their previous values.
Also, double-clicking the "Gain" and "Off" knobs do not reset them to default value like other controls.
I've added offset/gain to the list of things reset on clear via https://github.com/fundamental/rtosc/co ... debf9b76ae . Per resetting on double click I've added default information to the knobs via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... 869927708d .

While adding default information in this case was trivial there are some controls in the UI with more complex default rules, so double-click to default may not work in all cases (i.e. the default value for envelope duration depends on if it's an amplitude/frequency/etc envelope and which synth engine uses it (for now))

7. The "Load Instrument (Master, Microtonal, etc)" dialog is all kinds of messed up. I can't navigate to C:/ using ".." to go up a directory, nor can I manually type a path in. Zyn (and its presets) are stored in C:/Program Files/VstPlugins, so I can't actually load any presets.

Per not being able to type anything in, that sounds like bug #5 in this thread.

Per not being able to navigate to "C:\" with "..", it seems to be an edge case I missed as "C:\anything\something\" navigates to "C:\anything\" via "..." without a problem, but "C:\anything\" maps to "C:\anything\" via "...". I'll edit this post once I've found the source and fixed the bug.

EDIT: "C:\\" parsed correctly, but "C:\" parsed incorrectly. This has been fixed in the path handling code, but it requires some further testing to confirm the fix 100%.
Visual Bugs:
Zyn Load Dialog.png
Very hard to read anything with the transparent background. The "Favorites" drop-down and "Add Favortie" Button also seem to be off.
As is painfully obvious, the file selector is part way through a visual style upgrade. The final version will look something like:
Image as documented at https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... /issues/66 At the time of writing I don't have any blur mask code implemented for the GL layers, hence the slight transparency. The current build uses a black background with an opacity of 145/255 as a workaround, but since it's posing a legibility issue I should be able to up that to 220/255 to reduce the visual issue until the blur is put into place.
Minor note: is it possible to delete paths from the Favorites list? I accidentally added my Desktop twice while bug testing and can't get rid of it.
At the moment the only way to clear out the favorites list is to remove them from the zyn config file. Zyn stores this file at "$HOME./zynaddsubfxXML.cfg".

Since this is a minor issue, would it be sufficient to:
1) prevent duplicates from being added to the list
and
2) provide a right click menu to clear all favorites
?

Fantastic work, Fundamental. Thanks so much for addressing these. I don't follow the GitHub page at all as developing code is way beyond me, so I'm glad I could help.
Researching the specifics of FL Studio it appears that they reroute all events through effEditKeyDown and effEditKeyUp in a manner which has caused other plugin devs headaches.
Interesting. I know FL's pretty infamous for handling some of that stuff oddly (probably due to ancient Delphi code). Good to know it's not just Zyn.
While adding default information in this case was trivial there are some controls in the UI with more complex default rules, so double-click to default may not work in all cases
Good to know. And not all controls need a default reset either, but for macros it's useful.
Per not being able to type anything in, that sounds like bug #5 in this thread.
Actually, if I click in the text box for the path, the browser closes.
As is painfully obvious, the file selector is part way through a visual style upgrade.
Oh that's nice! Since I don't really follow the github page, I didn't realize the redesign was still in progress. No problems from me then!
At the moment the only way to clear out the favorites list is to remove them from the zyn config file. Zyn stores this file at "$HOME./zynaddsubfxXML.cfg".

and
?
Thanks. That'd be sufficient enough for me!

In the meantime, I've found a couple issues this morning while testing some more.

11. Adjust the Hamonics in ADD/SUB/PADsynth, then click and drag on the numbers below. Results in the same Mruby crash as the File>Quit bug. Discovered this one kind of by accident.

12. Attempting to use the Copy/Paste features results in the following error message and then DAW crash:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: <DAW .exe path>

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information
Also just a couple of minor, housekeeping things I noticed:
- PADsynth: "Quarter" Spelled wrong in "BW Scale" drop-down (spelled Quater)
- OSC Tab in ADDsynth isn't in line with other tabs, the bottom is slightly lower.
- After adjusting the first Harmonic in the OSC tab, there's still a blue line at the top.

AJYoung wrote:11. Adjust the Hamonics in ADD/SUB/PADsynth, then click and drag on the numbers below. Results in the same Mruby crash as the File>Quit bug. Discovered this one kind of by accident.
Replicated, fixed, and tested.

For these sorts of crashes you should see a popup that provides more information on what happened. Is that popup not appearing for you?
- PADsynth: "Quarter" Spelled wrong in "BW Scale" drop-down (spelled Quater)
Fixed via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... 96a72da510

AJYoung wrote:12. Attempting to use the Copy/Paste features results in the following error message and then DAW crash:
This appears to be a windows specific crash. I can replicate it on my testing setup using wine, but cannot on my primary Linux setup. Looking at the source it seems like some of the sleep calls are completely broken.

Within Zyn this makes it look like one of the threads died which results in hitting an error handling path which intentionally exits the program.

Installing a fix now, will add an edit comment once a fix is confirmed on my machine through wine.

EDIT: Fix confirmed via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... dd0862ea1f and https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... 2ef1efffd5

and
?
Thanks. That'd be sufficient enough for me!
The backend bit has been taken care of via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsu ... fd4d9a9fac . Some work is needed on the UI to add the clear favorites hook.

For these sorts of crashes you should see a popup that provides more information on what happened. Is that popup not appearing for you?
The only popup I get is one that reads "[FATAL ERROR] Mruby is unable to continue". Many of these popups appear one after the other, then the daw crashes. All of this happens within half a second.

Here's what I see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZm0vXEv_A

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”