Welcome to the Receptor Forum

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Welcome all to the Receptor Forum. We encourage everyone to submit their questions, user feedback and features you would like to see in Receptor. Also if you are a Receptor user and found some really cool way of using it, please let us know.

Rick

Hey! You're open for discussion..great!

Ok, let's get to the nitty gritty.

How will license issues be handled? As in, what options do we have with a license we already hold?

Will we have to buy secondary licenses..? Or will they be transferable to the Muse?

This is a big issue for users here & we've been wondering how this is going to be dealt with.

Ok, here's a question - WTF is Receptor?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Ok, here's a question - WTF is Receptor?
hardware vsti rack in a nutshell.
http://www.museresearch.com/receptor_overview.php

BONES wrote:Ok, here's a question - WTF is Receptor?
On the left.....

http://www.museresearch.com/

Its a Linux PC in a rack

Hmmm, looks like it may have been useful a few years back but surely PC's can handle most things on their own now. And I can't imagine how much it will cost down here.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:And I can't imagine how much it will cost down here.
:lol:

Forever,

Kim.

I think it depends on your use.
I'm interested in it primarily to use soft synths and samplers during live performance - the fact that I can press it into service in the home studio is icing
on the cake. If I purchase,I can just buy this box and the software, and not need a breakout box, interface, etc. It should hopefully be more roadworthy as well.

I see your point though if you were considering purchasing it for studio use primarily ( and for non-VSTi plugins.)
Because then you need a multichannel break out box and there are likely additional latency issues etc. In this case it seems like a UAD-1 card would indeed serve you better.
Just my opinion as a potential customer.
-Phil

MaxReverb wrote:Welcome all to the Receptor Forum. We encourage everyone to submit their questions, user feedback and features you would like to see in Receptor.
Hi Rick,

how many colours does it come in?

So far almost every question hasn't been replied to a day later..

I'm hoping that support for actual customers is faster than this..

sickle666 wrote:So far almost every question hasn't been replied to a day later..

I'm hoping that support for actual customers is faster than this..
what customers? :lol:

MaxReverb wrote:Welcome all to the Receptor Forum. We encourage everyone to submit their questions, user feedback and features you would like to see in Receptor. Also if you are a Receptor user and found some really cool way of using it, please let us know.

Rick
Here's a question: where's ours?

The microscope's set up, the nits are ready to be picked, and I have a large pile of rose petals ready for the tossing--and a pair of hobnailed boots ready for the stomping--all set, depending on the test results... :D

Seriously, we've been waiting quite a while to get our hands on this beastie. We're very excited and eager to see what it can do.

And as a person who writes what he does, for the audience he has, I can answer the "why bother when PCs are so powerful these days?" question without a moment's hesitation.... I have seen what happens when a PC crashes, and I have seen what happens when a Receptor crashes. QED. :?

mike
mike metlay
associate editor, recording magazine
founder/coordinator, different skies
prime mover, atomic city / mindSpiral

mmetlay wrote:
And as a person who writes what he does, for the audience he has, I can answer the "why bother when PCs are so powerful these days?" question without a moment's hesitation.... I have seen what happens when a PC crashes, and I have seen what happens when a Receptor crashes. QED. :?

mike
So, the common denominator is, they both crash. good start. Thats convinved me to change :roll:

My PC hasnt crashed since i bought it in Feb BTW :wink:

I can reply the question on "why is it worth it" or at least give my two cents, as it is exactly what came to my mind when I first heard about it.

Well actually, it can be pretty useful. I'd say that the hobbyist allready familiar with computer music may estimate that he doesn't need it, but even for him it's worth considering.

All in all, for a decent price, you have got horsepower. Easy to handle horsepower - when you're short of it, you can just add another receptor unit. No new PC/mac, no new install of your OS, file migration, whatever. The kind of things you wouldn't think about, but that are generally long, boring and stressfull.

Second it's dedicated. That means that it's plug and play, that support is informed on what you want to do with it, that you don't have to inform yourself on how each peripherals of your computer will interact with your personal goal - make music.

Once more a lot of people here are allready geeks with a reasonabe know how on how to deal with computers, and therefore may think they don't really need this. But it still remains a good point. At home, it's something easy to set up in your studio. If your computer crash, it's still there. No worry on audio or latency, it's working straight out of the box. It's an audio interface, a midi interface. Basically your can see it as an UAD but that runs everything in VST world whith its own cpu.

Now, it's an audio designed element. It's rackable. You can move it from place to place, from live gig to studios. Once you have done your tracks and want it produced elsewhere, you don't have to take all your soft, go through painful reinstallation (and associated devil protection scheme) - you just take your receptor(s) to the new place - and everything's here.

So think about it. When you create new sounds in the studio for your synths and FX, you don't have to convert them because they are by default in the box when you go live. Receptor separate music tech question from generic computer tech questions. I think it's an healthy way to proceed.

About the license question now I can speak for ohmforce : Receptor version are handled as any other versions. So it you have the multiversions of our plugs (pack) then you have it by default, else you have to pay a reasonable crossgrade price.

EDIT : damn me, I forgot to say that Receptor comes with a free, full version of Predatohm (and Frohmage, but that's less spectaculor). There are other bonus from other company but personnaly, I think it's of lesser importance :P

So what about presets, what formay does it use?

I have a preset folder with subfolders for every synth i use, can i transfer that catalogue to the rack, or does it work diff to that?

Return to “Muse Research and Development”