Receptor alternatives

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah bit pricey for what it is - PC in a rack that isn't going to run vst's right out of the box. Good set of components though, but not a 1:1 replacement for a Receptor without adding other bits
Don't Tech No for an Answer

With the exception of UVI,Alchemy(now only run on Logic), and Peavy stuff. Everything else was free.
I think a lot of sentiment in previous posts was about front controls and some type of display. That's a little beyond me but I'm starting to think I could build my own computer. Apparently ASUS chip-sets area good way to go. Samsung EVO; the rest I have to research.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

This thread has been quiet for a while. A shame I found it so late. I've just installed Widows 10 on my Receptor VIP (I have a couple of copies of the original hard drive) and plugged my old M-Audio Fast Track 8R into it. I'm using Cantible lite for testing and a few free 64 bit VSTs. The latency is acceptible to me (10ms) and the processor load hasn't passed 60% running 4 VSTs all on the same midi channel.
Admittedly I haven't installed any of my NI instruments yet so a large sample based instrument may tax the resources a bit more.
I downloaded John Rule's RTE but it doesn't seem to let me use it in demo mode .. a shame becasue I would like to use the front panel buttons and LCD display. I'm also not sure how much difference there is between a Receptor and a VIP.
I am quite impressed how well Windows 10 works without me tweaking it yet.

Regards, Steve in Western Australia.

Awesome! Thanks for going for it and posting!
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Interesting thread. Looks like this discussion began a couple of years ago. Here we are today. I still have my Receptor VIP and still using it for live gigs. It works. I recently started researching alternatives for hosting VSTs and found Cantabile 3, which was being discussed in this thread a couple of years ago. Well it looks like they were on the right track. I've done some research on Cantabile 3 and it seems that it is much improved since it was mentioned a couple of years ago on this thread. Based on what users of Cantabile have shared with me, i'm going to go for it. I love the VIP but without support I can't take any chances.

Might give it a go over the festivous break, whack a spare 500gb drive in, install windows and see what gives as a proof of concept.
Amusing Replacer looks also worth a bit of playing around with..
will post results as they come to hand.

Another advantage of Win 10 on the Receptor hardware is the ability to hibernate the machine rather than shut it down. I've set the power switch to hibernate so I can just press it once and the machine dumps it's memory onto the hard drive and switches off. Next time I hit the power switch it starts up reasonably quickly (depends on how much RAM you have). Takes about 16 seconds to start up on my machine (8 Gb of RAM) and I even had Cantable running with a synth loaded, hibernated, started up again and the synth/keyboard/Fastrack 8R came back to life with no prioblems. Of course if you think that the power switch on the front could get pressed accidentally you always have the option for Windows to ignore the switch altogether and use the Start button to hibernate. So you should be able to set up your live set, hibernate the machine and get started pretty quickly when you arrive at yor gig and turn on the machine.
I must also say that Cantabile (just using the free version at the moment) is a brilliant piece of software.
I Still haven't managed to get the front display working though as I can't get RTE to run without requiring a licence. I've got the machine connected to the internet so I suspect the server that allows me to test RTE may no longer be running.

CAMELOT PRO
What do you guys think of this? (I don't work for them, no)

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/12/new ... layer.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKqMhRRORA

QUOTE: "Camelot Pro is a complete software solution for live keyboard player: load hard & software instruments, control them, design own setlists & recall them instantly!

For a long time, Mainstage for Apple computers has been a constant companion for live musicians. If you want to change hardware and software on stage, you almost can not ignore it. But only almost. Since today there is competition for Apple. Camelot Pro is a new standalone application for PC, Mac and iOS that allows you to design your own hardware and software live setups.

In Camelot Pro you can work not only with software products but also with hardware equipment. The developers collaborate directly with hardware manufacturers and offer templates for these instruments. So you can layer both real and virtual instruments together and design complete setlists. With bank select, program change, mode change message support, you can recall them very quickly.

Camelot Pro is not just a simple plugin host but a complete live solution for hard- and software instruments!"
“Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself.” Rumi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Interesting thread..

Having used a receptor for a while now, I don't think there's quite an alternative for it. Those who can substitute a rack mount PC with a receptor are missing the point. The experience is not at all the same.

I'm actually looking for a HOST that has the receptor Mixer (16 ch) GUI. It is delightful and reminiscent of hardware workstations. The effects architecture is great - ability to change your FX routing with a touch of a button.

I want THAT in a PC. The GUI of the receptor, as a host in a PC. Give me that and you have my money.

Never owned a Receptor. Always wanted. I've been using Cantabile on a Surface Pro for a couple of years now. Cantabile is optimized for touchscreen, and I gotta say it's wonderful. In addition to the touchscreen, I use a Korg NanoKONTROL2 to control my most used parameters.

I have an audiostation mini. It's pricey but is recommended. It's very small/light weight. Uses windows 7 embedded so the boot up is fast. Upgradeable though i'd have to look into the drivers for the midi ports and all that stuff. I wanted the x64 but that's something i'd consider. Absolutely what the Muse should have been but the mini is pretty nice and I think the turn over is about a week or just over. Any questions feel free

When I bought it, I wanted the most basic version because it's easy to add ram or even change the motherboard. I will agree the lack of noise etc is or was strange but the company is 100% legit. They just suck at advertising or want it to be a cult like product. It just works. You don't need a sound card. You can plug in a midi keyboard straight in. You can record a dynamic mic using phantom power. I'm tempted to get the x64 tbh.

Yes!!! I saw the x64. It seems the price has gone down in the year it’s been since I researched it, curiously to the price I paid for my Receptor T3io.
The mini looks cool. It took me 2 years to save up for my Receptor, only to have the company fold before I could really get it going (for the specs of how I use it).
I would gladly buy one if these. I believe you can load your own DAW in as it runs on WIN7.
Possibly they don’t want to run into the same issues as Muse where they grew too big for the personnel on hand. It seems the lack of ability for Muse to keep up with the changing dynamics of software security from the rapidly forming juggernauts of NI, Omnisphere, and others. Even Camel Audio got caught in Apple’s propriety with their Alchemy, a beloved interface and instrument.
For me the learning curve was rather steep in a device that had some quirks such as the consequences of starting up and shutting down in the wrong order of operations. The machine really was a bit buggy- at least by today’s standards.
The other factor that weighed heavily on me and launched me into months lost in finding workarounds was the GUI. Rack mode is, hands down, the UI for live but lacked the options that Mixer Mode has like the effects sequence switching per channel- or even the fact that you could load 3 effects per channel. For a guitar player, that was great. I understand they forwent that option as things like Guitar Rig and the Peavey thing. But, they recommended that you didn’t buy the individual components of NI because if you wanted to buy other components later there would be issues which meant you needed to buy the whole Kontakt. Definitely another delay of mine. I love the Peavey but the effects needed some help.

I hope to get a Seelake soon.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Hi all

I've had a stuffed hard drive in my Receptor C for many years and hence have just shelved it.
Has anyone ripped out all of the receptor stuff and replaced it with new PC components?
I like the case and was thinking of reusing it as a VEPro slave.

Cheers
Kim

Have considered r placing the motherboard/CPU with something more powerful and seeing what works with win10 out of the box, but a) I've got a working drive and backups, and b) been a bit time poor to fulfil the urge to see "what if" running windows and getting it to work at a similar comfort level to the receptor os - front panel? Midi? Audio? Stability? Boot time?
When I get time more than happy to report the results.

Pull the hard drive and clone to a larger size.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”