Receptor alternatives

RELATED
PRODUCTS

What!!!!!!
I dont care if the guy is a Brain surgeon !He is from what i have so far experiencespd arrogant and rude.
i sometimes work with a group of software programers they are excelent musicians and extremley humble.Most people with any expertese in a subject are !
Andy

Fishoow wrote:
emcee wrote:John suffers from a touch of intellectual arrogance
I don't mean to come across that way, really. Actually, I agree with you as I get this type of reaction quite a bit. When I think I'm right, I do have a tendency to shove it in your face, so my apologies.

Ok
Apologie accepted !

Johnrule,

I like your RTE3 concept and I like your "aMusing Replacer" as it is a good replacement to the Receptor Mixer as the name suggests and it keeps me in a comfort zone. I like my Receptor 2s in concept but I am not happy with the following as I am sure most of us feel the same:

1. Can't use any plugins we would like EG: Kontakt 9 Ultimate, UVIWorkstation, Waves, RealGuitar4 etc.
2. Not powerful enough to run 10 plugins and EFX and change programs without crashing occasionally
3. Not open source and non-orthodox method of installing and updating plugins
4. Can't use latest level of Service Center and other needed software
5. Still only 32bit in mixer mode

Unfortunately we are stuck with them and would like to keep them running for as long as possible :)

Help me out here plz; let's take the following hypothetical scenario and tell us how you might attack the following problem (assuming you think it is plausible):

Let's say our Receptor 2s died a horrible death. Would it be possible to use the guts of what is left to create a useful and stable environment? Just an idea, but could we start by first substituting parts EG: mother board, more RAM, hard drive and then installing a cut down version of let's say Windows 7. Next, installing "aMusing Replacer" as a virtual Receptor platform.

I am just blue skying here, but the reason I am suggesting this is because you told us that the Receptor is really a PC in disguise. We all agree, so what not take advantage of this :) The concept of the self contained box is what we really like anyway and it is sitting there looking us in the face :)

Thanks for your help, research and ideas,

Phil

So PLEASE, everyone play nice, we are a dying breed, and we can use ALL the technical help we can get. Let's not shut anyone out. Johnrule has plumbed the depths of this more than most.
WIW. This is what I was +1ing. I was led to digital music by the events in my life. I knew from the beginning not to get butt-hurt over people's reactions, opinions, and intellect. I'm smart but I need all y'all for better or worse to help guide my next steps.
I'm thankful for everyone's input and am logging it accordingly. Curiously, my options in 2014 were to purchase a Receptor or a i7 MacBook. WIW I have played 2 years straight, EVERY DAY, for min. 3 hrs/day live accompaniment for University of New Mexico Dance Dept., part of the American Dance Legacy, where we get the most influential artistic directors in our nation on a 2008 MacBook, Presonus Fire-whoosy, and Studio One Producer. Peggy Lymon Hayes, artistic director of Martha Grahm company does not accept,"Sorry, can you hold on a minute while I restart my computer?" In other words. My old-a** MacBook (not pro) has done me right in very important situations. I use all Presonus VST/i's with Alchemy, Reactor, and a lot of other 3rd party instruments and effects. I tether my iPhone to run many other Apps passing audio and midi through Music I/O http://musicioapp.com/.

I purchased the R T3io and expected some leaning curve but found the leap to be rather large. Reading your (collective) posts is invaluable to my moving forward with my investment. I will not have the opportunity to purchase a new rig for a while so I need to be watching the tides of this industry for the next shift. Meanwhile, I need John, and Andy and all y'all
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I just bought a mint condition Receptor 2 Pro Plus model from GC for just under five hundred dollars. As I wait for it to arrive this Thursday, I started to read about the out of business hardware update from Muse Research. As my excitement started to wane, I remembered that I took out the GC one year Pro Coverage with the option of adding another year. Right or wrong I figure I've got a unit that will either perform, or with the coverage, I can get it serviced. Worse case scenario, I get a GC credit for the original amount paid for another purchase if the unit fails and can't be fixed over the next two years. Please correct me if I'm looking at this the wrong way?

I also have the following questions.
1. Since I don't have the unit yet, what sound libraries should I expect to be loaded into it?
2. Because I have 45 days to take it back, did I get a good deal if everything is operational?
3. With Muse's hardware division now closed, I'm wondering how this might affect the major touring acts who depend on their Receptors?

Best to all!

As John Rule kept bringing up, this thread is about alternatives to the Receptor. There are a few ideas about how to move on after the company has now moved on. There are two general thoughts here. Either rebuild something on your own that is a rack mount replacement or just move on to a laptop. Either way, you're on the hook for empowering yourself in the computary arts, either with just software or the whole monty. Fortunately there are some veterans that can guide you here and are pretty generous.

Best wishes.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Do you happen to know which thread I should use to submit my recent post?

Best!

Clord

Scotty wrote:Interesting information on the Oasys PCI. I didn't realize that there were only 2000 manufactured. I own three of them and I have two in use in dedicated boxes.
Swooped in when they blew them out for $250, eh? I picked up another myself, but sold it eventually (kept my original though).

I was one of the original supporters (or, should I say suckers). Don't I get a badge or something at least? I'm guessing only about 100 people paid ~list when it first came out (msrp $2,200 according to my Sweetwater receipt). I was sold on it when I read the white paper. I had enough cash at the time, and I was in the market for something PC based. Still, it hurt to see the price drop like that. And, absolutely no compensation to the early adopters...just wow! I've never bought a Korg product since, and I don't think I ever will. I think the term is "gun-shy" :wink:

All they had to do was make Windows XP and OSX drivers for the thing, drop the price a little, and they probably could have done very well. Such a drastic move to blow them out like that. I'm asking on the Oasys forum if there wasn't some other reason for killing the product like that.

Obviously, I'm still a firm believer in pc hardware and its capabilities. The Oasys was a good design badly executed (a little like the Receptor lol). I finally gave in and bought a Moog though, but I am not impressed at all. I actually enjoy my stable emulation of the MemoryMoog running on my old Receptor much more than a real analog synth. I don't need some imagined intrinsic relationship to my equipment to be creative (oh, there I go again, sorry).

Well I'm about to bite the bullet and start weening myself off the Receptor 2. About to purchase the following case to give myself the spark to build my own. PC Internals (board/cpu) to be decided, but a 1TB SSD and at least 8gb ram, and the other 1RU to be a USB Audio/Midi interface (again TBA) - Behringer seems to pop up often on KVR as a potential candidate..

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/rack-moun ... th-no-psu/

This seems like a viable option for display:
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/aoc-e1 ... or-ab53368

Then sit one of these at the end of my The Novation 61SL MkII
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/329 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Name - unfortunately can't find an Antonym to Receptor - Receptor backwards though = RotPecer? Doesn't sound quite right, sounds like a medical condition..
The domain name though is available **thinking thinking** - www.rotpecer.com
Receptor.com redirects to some scam looking "money fast" sites - I won't go into John Rule mode and say the two are related ;)
Don't Tech No for an Answer

Hi
Have you decided on a host yet ?I dont think there is a lot of choice forte or cantabile.

You could use an Rme hdspe aio pcie card for sound and midi instead of a usb box. it will fit in a 1 u box if you use a riser or extension cable to mount it horizontaly.They are very good cards low latency and balanced i/o options plus adat and spdf / EBU I have seen a few on ebay going cheapish. i had one in my 1 u a while i liked it allot i. have it in workstation now.
Regards Andy

Initially I'll just start with this freebie:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

It's pretty basic, and does what I need it to do, and pretty lightweight. Then I can muck around with the other two, or I might even put on something like FL Studio or Sonar as a DAW to give me some further options.. Both load vst's and can save sets as "songs" which correlates to Receptor's snapshots.

The RMe card certainly looks impressive, with a pricetag to match, will certainly check that one out as an option - thanks Andy for the suggestion. That or something like it probably a better option than another bit of gear in the rack. And a lot lighter too :)

KitchenCinq may be its name - following on from Trio and Quatro, and this could host everything, bar the kitchen sink ;)
Don't Tech No for an Answer

Whats wrong with running Ableton Live as the VST host on a custom rackmounted computer? Then you get all the other MIDI features like sequencing and loops that Receptor never provided. Plus a live friendly interface.

Anybody see this? I don't see myself building my own computer. I love the idea of having the skill but I should have started when I was 17. I'm a little busy to go that deep now.

Anyone have an opinion on this thing? It's running Windows 10 and should thusly be compatible with NI, Spectrasonics, Arturia's latest...

http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/

or perhaps this:
http://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.ph ... duct_id=57
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

It just needs an built in super high end audio card with SPDIF and Optical and a MIDI interface and you're in business. The Receptor 2 feature that I liked most is the built in audio card, whereas you had to use an outboard audio interface with the Quatros which apparently isn't as good as the internal one. I use all the outs (Analog, SPDIF and ADAT) from my Receptor 2 ProMax which go into my RME Fireface 800.

I think it seems little expensive for what you're getting? When you have to add an audio and MIDI interface your cost goes way up. On the other hand you can run a DAW which is big. Just my 2 cents :)

Return to “Muse Research and Development”