USB instruments/controllers that don't need specific drivers

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been thinking of getting a Total Workstation Rack and I have 2 ?.
1) Does anyone use it with the S90es, and 2) What is the difference in the Total Workstation Rack and the TWR2? Thanks

I'm running two Axiom 49's one through USB and one through MIDI. Lovely,

Sometimes I replace the MIDI one with an Edirol PCR-500 (i think that' the model, my brain has a memory leak) and use it's onboard MIDI merge function to add a Roland AX-1 giving me 3 keyboards controlling the receptor. Why? Because playing bag pipe solos on a keytar is hilarious.
Receptor PRO 1.0 Komplete : 1.7.20080616 :2GB RAM : 500GB HDD

It's great to hear so many users have keyboards that work via USB. I have a Yamaha KX8. I haven't seen a USB driver for this device even though it's a year old now.

New to the forum...

Still waiting for my Receptor 2 Pro w/SSD & Komplete. Also ordered the CME UF70, a 76-key semi-weighted controller. I haven't played thru the Receptor or heard it live anywhere yet, and have no idea what will happen when I get the CME. Hoping for the best.

So you can't use two USB keyboards with receptor? I really don't get that. Why does my receptor have 7 usb inputs? Am I gonna use a mouse, keyboard, Midi controller and um 4 iloks or something?

I guess you can run a few midi keys through a midi router, but for live it just seems much tidier to not have a whole lot of power adapters when you could just power everything off USB.

Just ordered my midi-solutions quadra merge. We'll see how well that works.

Kurzweil PC3X seems to work fine.

Akai MPK61 plugged in via USB, works great.
Roland A-90 plugged into midi-in, work great together

Kermit Jagger wrote:any more ?
In house, we are using the Studiologic VMK -188 which is single cable power + MIDI, and I also use the Edirol PCR1, which is USB over MIDI and all functions work EXCEPT for the audio... I love the VMK-188 because it has 9 sliders which is great for B4II, and when you press the PROGRAM change button you can use the Page Up and Page Down buttons for incrementing and decrementing through presets.

From what I know, I think most of the Novation stuff works, and we've used the Korg NANO series with it as well.

And just so everyone knows: Properly implemented MIDI over USB DOES NOT REQUIRE DRIVERS. This has become a really big deal to me and the MIDI Manufacturers Association is now posting information on their site (www.midi.org) in conjunction with USB.org to instruct manufacturers how to implement MIDI over USB without requiring any additional drivers...

Unfortunately, USB 2.0 spec has audio and MIDI drivers bundled together (thanks to Microsoft, I'm told) Its part of the same spec and is not separable (yet), so it is possible for a USB 2.0 compliant keyboard with audio to be non-compliant (i.e. requiring drivers to be installed before it will work) for MIDI over USB when used stand-alone... so much for plug and play... :-(

Bryan

Unfortunately, USB 2.0 spec has audio and MIDI drivers bundled together (thanks to Microsoft, I'm told) Its part of the same spec and is not separable (yet), so it is possible for a USB 2.0 compliant keyboard with audio to be non-compliant (i.e. requiring drivers to be installed before it will work) for MIDI over USB when used stand-alone... so much for plug and play...
This seems to be the case with the new M-Audio Axiom 25 V2 I just purchased. It is USB 2.0 compliant and MIDI over USB does not work with my Receptor 2 Pro. Everything works fine through the MIDI port and MIDI over USB works fine with my Mac. The Axiom gets power through USB but Receptor does not recognize MIDI or any controller info. I hope to return the Axiom V2 and try the Akai controller to see if that works with one cable. If the Akai doesn't work I guess I'll keep the Axiom V2 and get a MIDI merger, but I was really hoping for the elegance of a one cable solution.
Tom

Just a quick update: I exchanged the Axiom V2 for an Akai MPK. The Akai appears to work with Receptor - one cable (USB) for power and MIDI :) . I actually prefered the keys and features on the M-Audio, but the single hook-up ruled the day (for me).
Tom

TWB121234 wrote:The Akai appears to work with Receptor - one cable (USB) for power and MIDI :) . I actually prefered the keys and features on the M-Audio, but the single hook-up ruled the day (for me).
Tom
Yeh the keys on the MPK61 are pretty sticky and unforgiving.

But after a few gigs i dont notice it at all. Great keyboard, works really well with VB3...

Anyone tried the AKAI MPK88? IF so how is the action?

k.

Update on my update: Unfortunately my initial good luck with the Akai controller and Receptor ran out quickly. Apparently Receptor does not provide enough power over usb to adequately power the Akai. The result was that I would need to boot Receptor multiple times in order for it to recognize the Akai. It seemed to work well when it worked, though I noticed that I did not have after touch, but I can't be starting my Receptor multiple times before a gig hoping it will "catch". (Note: I also have an RD 300GX controlling the Receptor through midi so the Akai is a second board controlling Receptor.) So I have ordered a power supply for the Akai and a midi merger from midi solutions. As it turns out - not a one cord solution but not that bad anyway. The Akai still seems to be a very solidly built little board.
Tom

Just to add my info to the mix... my CME UF6 doesnot not work over usb alone. Just powers off USB. Midi cable must be run for it to recognize any midi data.
Music is like sex... without all the bs.

if possible to change snap multis with the nanokontrol2? How??

Return to “Muse Research and Development”