Cloning Receptor VIP Drive

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I purchased a Receptor VIP Demo model from a guitar store several years ago. The receptor has Komplete 8 fully functioning on it. I was thinking I should clone the hard drive in case of failure. Does anyone know, if I do this, will I lose the fully functional Komplete 8 plug in due to licensing issues? I not very computer savoy, I don't know if anyone has any experience with a situation like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Clone your drive(!!!) and the clone will function just like the original on your Receptor.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Any suggestions on the best method/software?

I saw somewhere that the receptor uses Seagate drives. I have yet to open up my Receptor to see if it has the optional SSD drive - to make sure I get a compatible drive.

I saw a mention where the Receptor VIP is backed up to an external hard drive via the USB port. I'm not sure if that would be all that's needed or if I would need to remove the drive and use a dual bay cloning station to clone it. Thanks again for your help!

I have a Trio, similar to the VIP. I was not successful with the backup program.

Most reliable is an outboard Startech. You have the option of converting to a Samsung SSD
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Thanks to both of you for the replys. I opened it up Sunday, the Seagate drive is ST1000DM003, W1D, WU, PN 9YN162-302, FW CC4C, am I best off to get the exact same drive for best chance of successful cloning? This drive has been discontinued. There are still some for sale for $80 and up. I see the same model number drive with a different part numbers that are about $45. Also different FW...which I'm guessing is a firm ware numbers on the cheaper model. I'm not sure how important these things are for successful cloning? Or, as long as the drive has the 1tb 7200 rpm and 64mb cache I should be ok. Thanks again for any advice.

Only thing that really matters is size (1tb). Other than that get the best drive you can, 7200rpm is good but go higher on the cache size if it's available/affordable. Just get a high quality drive, seagate makes several tiers of "robustness"(Barracudas are good). clone your original to it, and then USE THE NEW DRIVE as your receptor drive, tuck the original one away as the backup.

Happy new Year, plethoraguy! Cheers, mate!
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Right back at ya fish!

Yes, Happy 2019!

Great to know about the hard drive. I'll have to see if I can find something with more than 64mb of cache. What method did you use to clone your receptor? I appreciate the replys!

Thanks.

I had been advised that the receptor method was not reliable. so I removed the hard drive and used the hardware cloner which worked like a charm, though it did take a long while. Re: the cache; 64 is fine but i think they make them bigger now and it will slightly improve your receptors load times. In fact, I am using a "Firecuda" which is a hybrid SSD/platter harddrive. It shaved several seconds off the reboot time, and program changes load a bit quicker. Your mileage may vary. At the time the Firecuda was only 10 bucks more than a Barracuda, so...

Thanks,

I was looking at getting one of the Western Digital Black drives. My research seems to lead to them as more reliable then the Seagate. I would stay with the 64mb cache as they don't have one with 128mb until you get to 6tb and they are much more expensive. My only problem with the VIP seems to be when using the KonTakt player, it will crash on quite often. I thought maybe the extra cache would help with that. On opening up the VIP there seems to be another slot to add another memory card. I didn't see anything about expandable memory in its description, but if I can do that, I'm sure that would be helpful. I decided I would get the StarTech cloner and try that. Thanks for all your help with this.

I Just wanted to update.

I bought the Western Digital Black drive and the StarTech Model SATDOCK2REU3 to clone. Worked perfectly, all the Kontakt and NI plugs ins work just as they did with the original Seagate Receptor drive. The worst part was cleaning the Receptor drive connectors of all the caulk they put on them.

Using an Xacto knife worked pretty well. They put so much on, it actually seeped under the prongs of the drive even after the connectors were off. I was afraid if I didn't get it cleaned out good enough it might not clone ok. It all worked out well in the end and I feel relieved knowing I have a backup drive. Thanks very much again for the response to my post, you were very helpful to me in getting this accomplished!

Return to “Muse Research and Development”