PayPal and the GIFT option for international users (19 EU / 6 International countries atm)

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think paypal has done away with the gift option, at least in the US.

I'm on a Dutch account and have the availability of an option to "transfer money to friends or family", which I presume is the Gift option.
So for the Netherlands, it's still available.

Frank, do you still have the personal payment option, where you can select to pay the paypal fees? Or is this also gone?

Finally updated the first post. We're now at 19 EU states and 6 international areas. And I also added some info regarding SEPA (from February 2014 and forward) as alternative in the EU.

Keep in mind, sending money is usually "free" with PayPal, the recipient has to cover the fees. I also just checked the German PayPal system... they completely removed the "send to family" option.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hey guys,

I just sold something for the first time through PayPal (my Evolve license, buyer sent me money via PP). I received money but it's pending with this explanation:
Payments you receive go to your pending balance for 30 days. Payments in your pending balance belong to you, but you can't use or withdraw them. After 30 days, pending payments go to your available balance, unless PayPal is holding amounts for another reason, as specified in the PayPal User Agreement or other agreement that you have entered into with PayPal.
I was just wondering is this normal, holding money for 30 days? Or is there a way to speed it up? Thanks!

I just sold something for the first time through PayPal (my Evolve license, buyer sent me money via PP). I received money but it's pending with this explanation:
Payments you receive go to your pending balance for 30 days. Payments in your pending balance belong to you, but you can't use or withdraw them. After 30 days, pending payments go to your available balance, unless PayPal is holding amounts for another reason, as specified in the PayPal User Agreement or other agreement that you have entered into with PayPal.
I was just wondering is this normal, holding money for 30 days? Or is there a way to speed it up?

Since we, Sellers as the most ridiculed people and not protected by ebay or paypal, GIFT is our only Option, or Donation, 99% of my buyers by this way or WU. We all know if i sell you software or some presets you can easily go on PP and claim your money back that i somehow screwed you and PP usually is on the buyers side. Once the money sent as Gift or Donation that is my warranty that the buyer can not do anything afterwards. Few of them pulled moves like that, after receiving digital stuff that's not returnable.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

In short, that is PayPal's fault. So sellers should be advised to go different routes that are "not" PayPal related. But still offer customers to buy from the store without the need of a credit card. Or boycott PayPal all together and constantly ask for credit cards.

Certain countries simpy don't have the "gift" option anymore, and donation is also not really advisable for receipts. If even possible in certain areas.

Asking for "GIFT" or "DONATION" means that you evade the system that is keeping PayPal alive. Granted, the fees involved (transfer fee and exchange rates fee) are more than often really tacky, but that's part of the system. Everything else is bound to fail (IMO).

I understand the problematic you're describing - but in the end, PayPal needs to change on that behalf, to also include software. File complaints, etc. Else... if you're within the EU: go for other means of payment. PayPal is not the only peer-to-peer money transfer system these days. And various online shop systems are also available.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

BasariStudios wrote:Once the money sent as Gift or Donation that is my warranty that the buyer can not do anything afterwards.
And thats why I wont use either option to pay someone for goods.

The fact that one can misuse a Paypal feature which is not intended for paying for goods as a method for both avoiding paying Paypal for the use of their service, and ensuring a buyer has their purchasing rights diminished when they pay for goods is not a sound justification for doing so.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Well you can look at it both ways...me as a seller am human too, same as you, right? So...we need some protection too not just the whiny buyers.

Again, I do understand that - but in order to be on the save side, we need to file complaints to PayPal as the middleman. Either that, or we sellers need to find a suitable solution.

Cheating the system and still not being save of complaints and the likes is not doing us any good. And actually raises fees for all others (not to mention that PayPal does influence credit scoring - in Germany that'd be the SCHUFA). These fees are high enough already.

Holy Smokes, PP has to do with Credit Score in Germany?

BasariStudios wrote:Well you can look at it both ways...me as a seller am human too, same as you, right? So...we need some protection too not just the whiny buyers.

Except your version of 'we need protection too' is 'force the buyer into giving up any protection.' Whilst pocketing the fees.

Of course, I can see why you'd call buyers 'whiny', you know, given that you're saying they should be happy to give up that protection when they're paying up front.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BasariStudios wrote:Holy Smokes, PP has to do with Credit Score in Germany?
This is what a bank clerk recently told me. Which does make sense. PayPal is "lending" money in my name until they get it back as direct withdrawal from my account.

In short, they're handling a mini loan. And that is adressed in the detailed credit score in Germany on the long run. Even if it might not show up on your scoring list (numeric values), but there is an in-depth, separate listing where this might show up.

Welcome to the age of the glass-human.

All this needs to be taken into conideration. PayPal isn't the optimal solution after all. But unfortunately it established itself as the most flexible one. With certain setbacks (as mentioned in post one, and now again by both whyterabbyt and me).

BasariStudios wrote:Well you can look at it both ways...me as a seller am human too, same as you, right? So...we need some protection too not just the whiny buyers.
From my personal experience, I once bought on Ebay an Ableton Live Suite licence that seemed 100% legit, with many other buyers for the same product. I registered the serial on Ableton website without any problem, but a couple of days later, I received an e-mail from Ableton telling me that the serial was bought from a credit card fraud, before being sold on Ebay. They deactived the registration of the licence and gave me a 50$ credit for the trouble.

Luckily for me "whiny buyer", I had pay with Paypal (not gift!). After I filed a complaint to Paypal, and with no answer from the seller, Paypal refunded me.

That's a good reason why I will never pay with the gift option with Paypal.

You never know who you're dealing with on the internet, so that's why there's such protection for the buyer.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”