Best strings for quick repeated bowing?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to do a quick bowing effect with kontakt libraries, but it's very difficult with the string libraries I have.

Here is an example of the problem (can be heard on the first couple notes)

A clip,
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ed099bwi ... e.mp3/file

The problem is that it seems inconsistent whether a spicatto sound can be repeated in a desirable way. Not only is it note dependent, but different libraries have different requirements for offset, sometimes on a per note basis. Which makes it a nightmare to try and sync them.

Is there any library with solo strings (violin, cello, viola, bass) that is especially good at this bowing effect?

Have a look at Hans Zimmer Strings at www.spitfireaudio.com - it's 40% off until end of year.

If you do more strings than I do - you probably know the italians terms - otherwise look in manual where they are explained.

They also have this smart option to get samples on hdd they sent you if you don't have the internet to download it. I did for a choir library and very smooth.

I'm looking for solo strings, specifically. Or at least something a bit smaller.

Ideally you need a library that contains round-robins (to avoid "machine gun" effect with quick repetitions) and the particular articulation you are going for.

Could you please try free VSCO 2 Community Edition? It has solo strings, though I'm not certain whether it has the articulation you are looking for. Worth trying:
https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html

Also, Sonokinetic has it's holiday sales going on starting today (every day another library, today they have a symphonic library, each offer only valid for 2 days).

Cinematic Studio Solo Strings have multiple types of shorts. Orchestral Tools First Chairs comes to mind also. Take a good, close look at the demos on those - they're meant to "sit" in orchestral music more so than something like Joshua Bell, so hopefully the shorts' timing will be more consistent. I know some of the OT section libraries have a ton of round robins on spiccato, too, but not sure if that extends to the smaller First Chairs lib also.

Versilian chamber orchestra is actually what was in the example above. It would work fine if the sounds were consistent across different notes, but they aren't unfortunately.

I'll take a look at first chairs.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”