Kontakt versions of free Karoryfer instruments - any interest?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know bigcat's made quite a few of them, but I might take a crack at it myself. I bought Kontakt on the summer sale, and perhaps I should actually learn how to use it. And what better way to learn than porting one of my own instruments? Probably not going to do a lot, just maybe one or two to get some practice with something simple before potentially tackling bigger non-free stuff.

So... what would you like to see me start with? Your choices are at https://karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples

Haha, I just switched from Kontakt NKI and Halion FXP to ---> SFZ-formats. :D
Seems you chose to go the opposite way now ... well :roll:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

the bobobo drums

jancivil wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 am the bobobo drums
Good choice - not a lot of samples, should be easy. But does have some slightly unusual things like the tune spread control which affects different regions by different amounts, so I can't just go through a basic Kontakt tutorial and be done. Plus it'll benefit from multiple output capablity.
enroe wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 pm Haha, I just switched from Kontakt NKI and Halion FXP to ---> SFZ-formats. :D
Seems you chose to go the opposite way now ... well :roll:
No, not at all. Just want to try Kontakt and perhaps someday HISE for something.

DSmolken wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:19 am
No, not at all. Just want to try Kontakt and perhaps someday HISE for something.
If you are thinking of HISE - then learning Kontakt might not be the best route to it. Though it will allow you to appreciate the scripting language in HISE by comparison.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Kontakt has the disadvantage, that users have to have a full Kontakt license (unless you pay fees to NI). With Hise the users don‘t need to own anything costly extra... Can‘t tell much about the features in comparison...

How about the Vengeful Cello? 😉
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Ha, that's pretty much the future goal here... if I can make a simple instrument work in Kontakt and/or HISE, then I'll also be able to estimate how much work it would take to port something like Vengeful Cello, and whether that might be worth it. Though the competition there is that I've got so much other stuff I've already recorded, or have laying around and need to sample...

I vote for the Meat Bass. Love it!

Kontakt will import sfz files, but how well does Kontakt handle non-trivial sfz features, like velocity-sensitive filter frequencies or ampeg parameters or dynamic eq? It's trivial to add such features to sfz files, but I've never been able to wrap my brain around Kontakt scripting. (PEBCAK, no doubt :sad:.)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I think we're seeing a trend of moving away from Kontakt in sample libraries. Of course VSL and EastWest jumped ship long ago. Spitfire seems pretty focused on their own Player nowadays. OT has theirs in the pipeline as well. HISE seems to be picking up steam, at least with some of the more "indie" devs like Xtant/Librewave, Channel Robot, Sampleson, Auddict, and probably many more of which I am unaware.

As an end-user, I like Kontakt (aside from the built-in exclusivity aspect), since it gives me more control over things that the dev may have overlooked or ignored. Like if I want to tweak a certain sample or parameter, avoid a dodgy RR, or whatever, I can usually get in there and do that without having to bug the dev about it. That said, I'm enjoying playing around with HISE for building (or attempting to build) my own instruments, and it seems especially promising for those with a bigger brain than my own. It seems to be more than just a sampler; if I'm not mistaken, people can build FX and (additive) synths with it as well.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”