RAST Sound deal, experiences with RAST sound?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im a sucker for worls samples and instruments, i cannot play asian/middle east patterns nicely so this would be a nice addition to give some special flavour to some tracks.
https://audioplugin.deals/deal-1/

how is the quality of those? there is written WAV samples are included but ATLAS i dont read any WAV samples for example.
https://rastsound.com/downloads/atlas/

thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Hi Caine,

only my two cents:
- the multisampled instruments are not bad but I still could not figure out how to get used with their pattern/stems and so on concept.
- Asking for a explanatory (short) video of workflow or a short "how to use" (a few pages should be sufficient for the general idea I would think) since almost a year now when I bought their first libs resulted in some "yes we will do" answewrs but nothing in this direction really happened, only one lib after the other released but no additional general info/tutorial about that.
- as they really use some unusual concepts, also in ATLAS for example where you cant even really separate the multisampled instruments from the patterns/stems, for me this is useless without any explanation how this is meant to be used

As I am on work now and cant look into the libraries I am not sure about the wave cause I dont use raw samples but I can have a look in the evening.

So my experience is really mixed-up. I have the feeling that more then half of the content is not useable for me cause I just have no idea how it is meant to be used. The multisampled instruments are interesting but you cant compare in quality with something like the Tarilonte stuff for example, thats way different leagues.

hi Tatanka! wow this reads not well, thx a lot for the great infos. i checked also their videos and pages. and they dont seem so active but still i thought well check it out. but from the infos it all seems to not really be worth and better spend money on souniron and other companies which care more :). i will pass then on this deal! thanks a lot for saving my money!!!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

As my opinion might be very personal I just remembered that there are two free older libs from the same develloper under another company name, that might help to make yourself a picture. Link is gone from the official fumemusic.com site where it was advertised but the official kvr link is still there:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fume-o ... fume-music

direct link:

https://fumemusic.com/originals-free/

You have to register for this, but you can get a general impression on their waves even if these are older.

EDIT: and a comment from a cakewalk forum which might help to decide if its worth the register and download:

"I guess Fume Music is some how connected to Rast Sounds (partner/spin-off). These two (actually 3 with some bonus thing) are a bunch of wave loops/one-shots with very bare bone Kontakt instruments (full version of Kontakt required). The instruments are pretty much just mapping the loops to keys. Not very useful. The loops are pretty much un-interesting. Not very useful. I like Rast's vocal libraries but these two libraries aren't going to convince me to sign up for any Fume subscription. Last time I checked they had no audio samples for their Originals collection or the loop subscription. I guess these are the "demo". If you need a loop subscription I think Noiiz is a better choice."

again much appreciated tatanka, will check the free libs. !!!!!

From my fairly limited experience I would suggest that they are libraries that are not core products, but if picked up at a steep discount they might be worth investigating.
Sample Library review have reviewed a few of them.

Here is another actual free lib that might give a more actual inside about what rastsound is doing now:

https://rastsound.com/downloads/african-gyl-arpeggios/

I don't have Atlas, I'm basing this off Anatolian Percussion and Mideast Vocals. The instruments are mostly limited to one sample per note with varying articulation/technique, they can be useful for very limited spicing (for lack of a better word) where notes would not repeat and the character is more important.

Many phrases, honestly better off as loose samples as the note has no relationship, and they could then be chopped up and realigned. The samples are loose WAVs though, so I'll take the Kontakt patches as a convenience for auditioning. The phrases are full of character, I haven't used them yet but I could see possible uses in the future.

I think they're better off marketed as ethnic samples and not so much instruments because that only leads to disappointment.

Wow, yellowmix, thank you very much for this explanation ! I would have been really glad if I would have get some clear answer like that form rastsound in my one year beggin for explanation !
As you said
I could see possible uses in the future
have you got any idea about workflow how to use all this patterns, stems whatever they call it in an existing song with root note, scale, chord progression on a lot of tracks and then just wanting to add something from this as kind of coulor but just IN TUNE ? After your explanation I think they might just not have given any clear answer or explaining video cause it might really not be possible. Then still I wonder HOW anybody makes use of this (apart from just using the raw wave samples).

Their stuff is extremely limited and of questionable quality. The instruments are clunky, and the scripting is essentially nonexistent. This is bare-bones stuff.

That said, you may find a sample or a loop, here or there, that are just what you need for a certain project. But in no way are these comprehensive or versatile libraries suitable for general use. This is very raw stuff that has a "sloppy" quality—which some may find "endearing" but others (like myself) will find disappointing.

tatanka wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm As you said
I could see possible uses in the future
have you got any idea about workflow how to use all this patterns, stems whatever they call it in an existing song with root note, scale, chord progression on a lot of tracks and then just wanting to add something from this as kind of coulor but just IN TUNE ? After your explanation I think they might just not have given any clear answer or explaining video cause it might really not be possible. Then still I wonder HOW anybody makes use of this (apart from just using the raw wave samples).
I find Kontakt gets in the way of what I have from them and I audition the raw samples. You said you're not good with playing/programming rhythms so treat it like sample loops. You can plop it right into your project, chop and mix them up for variations (similar workflow to comping), slice it at transients and sequence it.

There are some chromatic instruments like vocals and if you're okay with the one very uniquely characterful sample per note then you're fine. Otherwise there is no round robin, or even neighbor borrowing, so if you want to stay in Kontakt you can add/create such a script to improve it. The Kontakt instrument is VERY bare-bones. Frankly it's not worth doing that work, it's far easier for me to work with loose samples.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”