Random spoken word phrase libraries also question re copyright

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do any of these exist ? With people just saying random words or sentences ? Or even cleared libs of cuts from TV/Movies ? Any hints on what to search for if they do exist

As an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBTwidFPnk

It's from Evil Dead 2 and was used on Richie Hawtins Decks,EFX & 909 album, obviously he cleared the sample but are there libs that contain things like this ?

Also in regards to copyright, if I was to record somebody/myself speaking a line from a movie or a book, where does it fall under copyright because it's an original recording, but it's quoting something that is copyrighted, or do sentences/quotes not fall under copyright because you can't copyright a collection of common words ?

If you record yourself saying a line, the script's author still has copyright on the text, I would think. I suspect people have tried to do this, not so much to get around copyrights, but to get around background noise and soundtracks that got in the way of the lines they wanted to sample. If it's specific enough to be recognizable as a quote from the movie, you could be sued I guess. But I don't know of any such cases, and people drop references to other peoples' song lyrics in songs all the time without problems, so there has to be some kind of law or precedent in the big Western countries that would guide this.

Someone here does post collections of samples from public domain movies pretty regularly. Older, but clear of copyright issues.

This is an interesting question which I haven’t ever considered before. I would think that the original author of the written words would hold copyright if the words were significantly original, unique, or recognizable. If we take this to the extreme, if you were to record yourself reading the entire text of a published book and released it, that would be an unauthorized audiobook, and clearly a violation of copyright. Therefore, it seems reasonable to infer that the same protections hold true for any subset of the larger work. These things tend to be decided on a case by case basis in the courts, should the original author or rights holder sue you. Obviously, a line such as “We went to the store” is not significantly original enough to get you sued, but you’re going to have to exercise your own judgement with regards to whatever you currently have in mind.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks guys I've found some more libs after finding the correct the terms to search for (turns out you should just search vocal packs, instead of trying to be overly precise with searching for sentences/phrases) and I remembered about the guy who posts his memory collections here so will definitely check his stuff out!

Search for zvon's Memory Collections

The original author almost certainly owns their words via copyright and the work is probably registered with the guild. I keep forgetting the new name, formerly SWG.

However, if your use of copyrighted work is limited in scope, particularly in duration and does not compete in the marketplace with the original, Fair Use applies, albeit you can't expect it to apply globally necessarily.

find nutters on conspiracy radio shows, they love the publicity so wont sue over usage.

im not a lawyer by the way.

jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm The original author almost certainly owns their words via copyright and the work is probably registered with the guild. I keep forgetting the new name, formerly SWG.

However, if your use of copyrighted work is limited in scope, particularly in duration and does not compete in the marketplace with the original, Fair Use applies, albeit you can't expect it to apply globally necessarily.
I thought you could only claim fair use, if you were quoting copyrighted works for critique, parody or using it to educate ?

Well, testing this in a court of law vs on Youtube such as in my case may be somewhat different matters.

I claimed it around 3 times with Warner Group (whatever they call it now), 3 different uploads of a video I put together which included some things I appropriated from Swing Time 1936.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use# ... tantiality

also see 4) effect on work's value, or seen as competition in the marketplace. So I have in all a two and a half minute or somewhat piece of music, and the Bojangles of Harlem bits like 1/3rd of that, it isn't really hurting proceeds of the 1936 movie. EXCEPT*
Each time they released it for me to use; however *there is a buy link for that movie attached at Youtube and they are considered owner of the video at least to Google Takeout which won't include it in my download package. And last I heard, unavailable in the UK.

But to the topic, snippets of dialog may pass according to substantiality and competing for value.

First, courts consider whether the use in question acts as a direct market substitute for the original work.

In court in the US, burden of proof is on the plaintiff.

the bits I appropriated from Charlie Chaplin The Circus nobody cared about apparently.

I could claim I'm criticizing Fred Astaire in blackface, I would think. But it's just a bizarre mood I liked and it fit the track perfectly in timing with minimal manipulation.

I would probably have to cut them in on sales, they seemed happy enough to stick the buy link in there. Who knows, it would work in court theoretically from what I gather. Youtube is a weird example due to the nature of it.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enigmatic Phrases and Phrases of Wisdom vocal packs from T.D. Samples contain hundreds of copyright free speech samples including English/French phrases, Bible quotes, Buddha sayings, Latin dictums and empowering words

https://www.sampleism.com/tdsamples/pro ... ticphrases

https://www.sampleism.com/tdsamples/pro ... esofwisdom
BUDGET KONTAKT INSTRUMENTS
https://www.lootaudio.com/category/kont ... /tdsamples
Ethnic instruments, sultry speech, scrap percussion, toys, etc.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”