Unruly Drums, or have I made an instrument so weird that no reasonable person will buy it?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unruly Drums

https://shop.karoryfer.com/category/sam ... ruly-drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvB_cGghhHs

$9 intro price until July 14. $39 regular price.

What do you think? Have I gone too far this time?

What? No snares on the woodblock and cymbals? :hihi:

Seriously though, it sounds nice! :clap:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Haha, well, I have a plan for some crazy cymbal stuff in the future. But first I gotta edit a couple of already recorded instruments, including the bass version of Secret Agent Guitar.

It's gorgeous.
20190614_1405-pljones-donati (ninbot's bot mix of an early part of the session - open in new tab, hit the big play |> button)
20190614-1911-edit02-pljones-donati (my mix of a later part of the session)
donati is a drummer (eKit, anyway - and here on keyboard parts plus looper) and said "You play brushes?" and "Sounds like an acoustic" when I said it was sampled. I'm starting to get the hang of playing it on my TrapKAT - this was the first outing with my improved mapping.
Last edited by pljones on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wow, thanks! It sounds like it really works in a jam context (at least the second file - with the first I just get silence and don't hear any sound), which is really a big achievement for a virtual instrument. I mean, making one that sounds convincing with time-consuming sequencing is one thing, but making it playable live is harder, and being usable in a jam where nobody's quite sure what's coming next is an additional layer of difficulty.

For those who aren't aware, pljones has been helping us with this for a couple of years, since back when Swirly Drums was just a snare. He also came up with the sequential hi-hat muting, and the idea to switch between brushes and sticks separately for different kit pieces, as many jazz drummers will do the brush in one hand on snare and stick in the other hand on toms and cymbals thing at times.

I hope to do a video explaining in detail how the stirs work now, maybe next week sometime. Then later I'll document how they work for the sfzformat site, and explain how things work under the hood.

DSmolken wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:03 pmwith the first I just get silence and don't hear any sound
Sorry, I should have said -- KVR's automated URL recogniser FAILS big time -- it's not an MP3 link, it's a link to a web page that plays an MP3. You'll need to "open in new tab" or whatever.
[edit]Just updated the link to DEFEAT the URL recogniser! :D[/edit]

Heh, thanks, both work now!

The weirder the better! Thanks mate

Weird is easy, but weird that's playable and easy to use in real life is hard.

And I gotta say it's great to see how many repeat customers we're getting. We're building something over here!

Well then I'd say you nailed that line between weird and usable/functional. Glad to be part of those in the know-

nm
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

only thing weird for me is the mapping. I don't do drums left/right on a keyboard, I'm married to the GM kind of a map for the basics.

Yeah, I tried to keep as many sounds on general MIDI notes as made sense. Even though about having a snare selection parameter and having all three snares be on the usual general MIDI notes, but that would have made it really hard to play two snares at once. At that point I just gave up and put the extra snares on whatever C#/D/D#/E were free, just like I put the shank hi-hats and splashes on F#/G#/A# in another octave in the default map.

I haven't been able to come up with a good way to swap keymaps on the fly... that would be nice, especially for e-kit users who only have so many pads to assign, and might want different sounds for different songs. I'm sure it's a solvable problem, though. Perhaps someday I'll solve it.

I've never really looked at the various key switch opcodes -- really must see what can be done...

I can think of a very inelegant way to do it - have basically duplicate maps with like $map1kickkey and $map2kickkey and everything. Then duplicate all regions for all drums, with one duplicate having key=$map1kickkey for the basic kick, and the other key=$map2kickkey. That would work, but if you want to make any change you'd need to do it twice, and if you wanted two switch between 3 or 6 or 10 mappings in one gig, it becomes totally impractical.

Two ways to select the mappings would then be locc/hicc, or a keyswitch with sw_last and sw_default set to whatever switch selects the map1 version. Don't want to use pads on the e-kit controller for keyswitch notes, since their number is limited, but if you put the keyswitches on a touchscreen or added a 25-key MIDI keyboard or set of pads for the keyswitches, it would be usable.

But there's gotta be a way to do it without all the duplication.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”