MIRX for VSL: necessary?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was planning to get a Special Edition 1 bundle but is MIRX really necessary for it? Can't I just use a different reverb to get good results? I don't want to spend extra money on top of what I'm already paying. Otherwise, I might as well just get another orchestral bundle.

There are other solutions but I feel MIRX or MIRPRO is the way to go if you're using VSL libraries. if you don't want MIR, then you will need to create Early Reflections as well as long tail verb to make it sound good like its in a room..and its basically possible to do that without MIRX, but not trivial to do it either.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

OK, thanks - would one MIRX reverb work (I think they charge 79 euros for each)? Or do I have to get the whole bundle (325 euros)? Do I need Vienna Instruments Pro for it or is the sample player included with Special Edition libraries enough?

sure one will work, more gives more options. Eventually you will probably want VIPro, but its not essential to get started. I would recommend you just use it for a while before spending too much more money.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I don't use it. I don't like having staging determined for me like that. I use their Hybrid Reverb. MIR Pro is another matter, you can determine all the placing on stage.

Hybrid Reverb offers full control of early vs late reflections; the hybrid part of it is an algo tail. HR is very user-friendly. You have to buy the whole bundle, however and Vienna Suite Pro is pretty expensive.

79 euros isn't bad. Only you can decide if you need more than the one room. But you're going to have everything placed the certain way. If that's not a problem go for it.

If you're using Orchestral Tools Berlin alongside it you may well want the Teldex impulses any way you look at it, same hall.

The player included free with the SE stuff is not VI Pro. To be honest, I don't think you have a lot to gain with VI Pro if all you have is the SE; UNLESS you want more control like time stretching and the other "Advanced" page options.
You can find videos if you go to their Youtube channel.

I can't recall all the differences between VI, and VI Pro, but there's a lot more than what you describe. With my idiocy about such things, I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I got one of the MIRx verbs free when buying an SE, I think, so you can always wait for a deal to come around. I find it a very natural verb, I just wish I could use it as an effect in general.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Well, the notion there is SE has only the basic articulations as far I've seen. So, when you're using the Dynamic patches, eg., pfp 4 vibrato 4 seconds, you may want it to go 4.6 s or less than 4 s to fit the time you have so you'd use time stretch. One MIGHT want to time stretch a pizzicato, like to make it shorter, or even cut into the attack to make it more blunt so there's a use case.

Here's pictures; not-Pro:
VI.png
Pro:
VI Pro.png

The 'Mixer' and 'Voice' are so you can place 4x2 patches in slots and configure a sort of mix, using a CC to bring the 'B' slots into play. Edit is the same EXCEPT _now_ VI regular has half of that Mixer in this window. Who knew! I adopted Pro right away.
Also you can't deal in any of what's in the Advanced page in the Pro version, incl. dealing in the humanization via the Repetitions.

The 'Start" and "LBlur" (legato blur, which doesn't apply to everything, prob not SE at all) in Perform fr. the Pro picture aren't in not-Pro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Apparently not-Pro can haz the MIRx

You don't have the entire VSL Cube, do you?

I've worked out the crossfade element well enough. Used it on combining tremolo with sustain, so that the tremolo isn't so dramatic. Fall and rise to pitch...

The sequencer always makes me want to move on and do something else.

It makes sense that MIRx is compatible with the basic player.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

The whole Cube, oh hell no.

I rely on solo instruments, my compositional m.o. is linear and monophonic, polyphony out of parts. I do always get the Extended bits, except for the Synchron product where Extended means more mic positions and surround, not more articulations. Which I want to adopt, although priority for me is Vienna Suite Pro because of Imager Pro. VE Pro 7 will have the most essential parts of VS Pro, so it's probably good I didn't invest, they're going to be reducing the value of it by this move.

I haven't much bothered with the APP sequencer. I don't do a lot of repetition.

No, I started by buying single download products. Bb Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Piccolo Flute, Bass Flute, Bass Sax, Bass Clarinet, Upright Bass, like that. I have the full Percussion. Pretty massive. I looked at the APP for the Jazz Drums (incredibly good) because I heard there were "MIDI files", actually it's presets in APP. They were odd, and I was just curious.

I meant to get the jazz drums during one of their 'buy xx and get y free' sales, but went for something else. They were very good.

As to the original ?, no MIRx isn't necessary. VI has an adequate built in reverb, iirc. Again, my advice is to wait for one of their sales.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”