Big Rusty Drums - exactly what it says, and only $39

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Big Rusty Drums

DSmolken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 pm ... to deal with with only SFZ 1 opcodes, cause I'm practical.
Is Round Robin only SFZ 2?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Nah, round robin is SFZ 1. Drums don't really need much beyond SFZ 1, I just use a lot of more advanced stuff because it makes my life easier. The volume and tune and pan controls are all ARIA extensions the way I've done them, but they're not strictly necessary. The worse part is that with thousands of samples, it becomes a lot easier to use include statements and master headers to keep them modular and organized. Otherwise it'd be a lot of copy-pasting to get one huge SFZ file.

Even though the Rusty Drums User Guide PDF is named 'Big_Rusty_Drums_user_guide_1.000', its title when opened is 'Swirly Drums user guide'. When I right click the PDF to open properties the title field is greyed out...I guess only the author can change it.
A trivial issue of course, just thought that with you being a stickler for detail (with things like drum noises, opcodes and moustaches) you might like to know.

Ha, yeah, I had totally missed that one, but now two people have noticed it... I've got a PDF with that fixed, thought I'd fix that while also updating something else in the kit, but tbh I haven't found anything more substantive to update (a benefit of selling the kit - no temptation to record more samples!), so I might just replace the PDF for future buyers.

hello, i know this is a foolish question, but how do I remove or at least minimize the limiter's influence? I'd sort of like to use my own choice of limiter, but I have no idea what CC 401 / 402 are, or how to access them.

this is a wonderful drum set, btw. unique in the truest sense of the word

You could probably comment out the whole <effect> section in the SFZ, so the limiter knob would be there in the GUI but do nothing. I could test that later this evening.

Oh, I just saw your reply. I decided to do that myself, right after making my post. Everything seems to be working with it removed--thanks for posting so quickly!

edit: if it's of any interest, i'm using Fuse Audio Labs VCL-373 (i.e. the TAB U373)
it sounds really nice

Consider it an official solution blessed by the developer, then, haha. And I'll probably leave the limiter out of the next kit, cause you're the second person to ask about how to turn it off completely, though it does seem to work out well in Frankensnare. It's the old open source MDA limiter from the 90s, so nothing fancy or warm or analog, but for an unsubtle smash of layered snares it's good.

Yes, I discovered that while rummaging around in the sfz! MDA plugins were some of the first ones I ever used. I'm quite fond of them, in some ways.

Btw, another feature I'm considering taking out of the next kit, or at least simplifying - how useful is the per-kit piece switching between sticks, brushes and mallets? It does allow emulating having a stick in the right hand for cymbals and toms while using a brush with the left, or less realistically but possibly usefully also things like playing tom rolls with mallets while using sticks elsewhere, but it does complicate things and add more controls.

I'm leaning towards keeping it next time, but maybe also making additional "just sticks" and "just brushes" instruments that wouldn't have those controls at all.

it DOES complicate things, but i don't think complexity is ever an end-user issue just so long as everything is hierarchically organized so that the simplest stuff is the most prominent and the more complex stuff 'recedes' a bit.

Yeah, I think I want to keep a way to do the brush on snare, stick on cymbals thing. That's not standard in drum libraries, but something quite a few drummers like, and also useful to producers. Y'all can thank pljones for talking me into implementing that. But for people who just want all sticks or all brushes, which have to be pretty common, I'll provide an easier way.

I'm very used to there being a hard distinction between a kit piece played with this implement vs different implements, it's two kit pieces.
I consider that pretty fancy for a plugin. I think of different roles and different kits for the role rather than a Swiss Army Knife, and it seems complicated for control. Brush on snare, stick on cymbals is no problem for BFD, tho. My most recent instantiation of it has hand, stick, rod, mallet depending on which piece.

In case that's not clear, changing from sticks to brushes on snare means two loaded snares. On one snare, I never even heard of that in virtual drums.

Yeah, I agree, playing a snare with a stick in one hand and a brush in the other would be very weird in real life. If somebody really wants to do that with a sampled kit, then that person can just use two instances of the instrument.

So I'm leaning towards basically having three kits: sticks, brushes, and switchable (with snare getting its own switch, and cymbals having a common switch instead of a separate switch for each cymbal). That seems like a reasonable compromise to me at this moment.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”