Big Rusty Drums - exactly what it says, and only $39

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Big Rusty Drums

Thanks so much for this. I usually don't get into sample libraries but your choices are so unique and well thought out that it's a no-brainer every time. And thanks for using Sforzando, good for the non-Kontakters out there. So do you take donations,or should I just repurchase one of your instruments? Good day sir---

I really appreciate the kind words. Haven't really thought about donations, but, well, I'm certainly not opposed to them! I can pretty much just pay it forward to people who are making interesting instruments today, which would be a win for everybody. I guess you can just send money to the same Paypal account we use for sales, because the Paypal confirmation's got that account info, right?

Is it likely to work OK with LinuxSampler?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I'd have to see exactly what LinuxSampler supports, but I suspect it won't work at all because I used a lot if #include statements to build the maps up from sets of smaller files, and that's an ARIA extension. The basic functionality could be made to work, aside from a few things like stir curve shapes, because it all relies on basic opcodes for the most part, but there'd be a lot of irritating copy-pasting to make the final SFZ files. Probably at least a few hours of work.

You are listed on the Paypal activity page but the only address listed is http://karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples.
Is that it?

Ah, I see that the notifications I get as a seller proabably look different than the ones you get as a buyer. I'll just PM you.

Does you checkout support the idea of "Pay what you like, minimum is $X"?

Not currently. Technically I guess that would be simple, and we might do it when we do a combined web store for the samples, physical releases, music downloads, band merch and orc merch.

Another reason to do that is that the bandwith for the downloads of free stuff has grown a lot when we started releasing non-free things, and it was already a lot before that. So, to cut that down, we've been thinking about doing official torrents, and if you want a direct download you can pay some small amount, like Ivy Audio have set up. Maybe. My estimate is that this would make us an additional $2 per year, haha. I could be wrong, of course.

I've seen people use Bandcamp before for their sample libraries - You have a demo track as the 'single' and when people buy it, as a 'bonus' you get a zip file with that actual library.

Yeah, the label side of Karoryfer is actually using Bandcamp for downloads, and our own site for sample downloads and physical media sales, so while it's working fine for samples, it's kind of disorganized with different stuff in different places. So one of the label guys wants to redo and consolidate all that.

I'm all for letting others deal with that, so I can stick to cranking out more samples. I certainly got more ideas than the time to execute them.

If someone can get it all on Bandcamp, that might well be easiest. Dunno - I'm lucky I don't have to worry about such things.

Yeah, Bandcamp's possibly easiest and I think they might do merch also (tbh I haven't used that site at all), but having everything on our own site probably looks more serious and we've got more control when we' make changes. The one thing we can't figure out yet is a good way to take payments from non-Paypal countries.

Picked this up yesterday, really excellent sounding library. Swapped it into a song where EZDrummer was dominating the mix too much and the rawer sound was a perfect fit. Thanks for all your hard work!

Just to add a little contrapoint to the kontakt-part: for me the kontakt version was the no-brainer decision for swirly drums when it was on sale. Would bee the same with big rusty drums. Its not that I have not used sforzando but having kontakt is enough problems just dont want to deal with another sampler (which may be caused in the fact that I dont use samples at all but only finished instruments).

Another contrapoint (which might not be any valuable at all) to the Halion sonic/Halion sonic se: I have the Halion Sonic mainly because of the sample fuel instruments but thats the only case where I use it. There has been free instruments lately I just refused cause this Steinberg licensing shit is such a pain in the ass evrytime and I have lost so much hours with these kind of things....

As I said, just my two cents as a hobby and kind of "mainstream" user maybe.....

Yeah, I don't really have anything against Kontakt as such, and Sforzando is a great platform for free and low-cost stuff, but there are definitely other platforms that work better for stuff Sforzando isn't ideally suited to. It's more releasing one thing in multiple formats that I try to avoid - it was an extra 20 hours of work or so for Swirly Drums, and Tod of SM Drums fame offered to do it. If I did that myself for everything, though, that's a week's delay accumulating with every release. Four releases and it adds up to a month. That's the real cost.

And always glad to hear that the drums work for real people in real tracks. If anybody wants to send me anything that uses any of our samples, please do. Stuff using Marie Ork is often easy to find because people will list her as a featured vocalist, but others are not.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”