Legato strings with mod-wheel in Kontakt - is it possible?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The situation: Kontakt's included mod-wheel x-fade strings sound good, but they lack legato or portamento articulations, which makes them sound unrealistic for melodic use

The mission: to create legato versions of Kontakt's included mod-wheel x-fade string ensemble instruments which don't require loading the entire instrument into RAM.

The problem: Mod-wheel x-fade is accomplished by fading between 3 groups, one per dynamic layer. Every legato script I can find (which is only 2; the included Kontakt one and SIPS) is geared to handle 2 groups at a time - one for the initial note and the other for the successive legato notes. What I want would need that but for 6 groups at a time - 3 of those pairs in parallel to fade between.

The attempts: First I tried just adding three instances of Kontakt's included portamento script in series. This stripped out all of the note-offs for some reason.
Then I tried using SIPS articulation manager. This particular script is a black box of mystery. I couldn't get it to work and I gave up in frustration.

The question: Is what I want to do possible? It basically amounts to three instances of the included portamento script in parallel. Doesn't sound unreasonable. Is there a script for that?

SIPS seems to be working fine with the modwheel xfade instruments from Legacy VSL folder. You will need to add S.Mod to all the sustain articulation zones, though, in order for the Leg Ofst parameter in SIPS to work. The rest would be in tweaking variosu SIPS parameters in order to sound at least acceptable. :)

Violin Section 2 preset in SIPS seems to be fine. Make sure to set S.Mod for all zones in sustain groups to 44100.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am SIPS seems to be working fine with the modwheel xfade instruments from Legacy VSL folder. You will need to add S.Mod to all the sustain articulation zones, though, in order for the Leg Ofst parameter in SIPS to work. The rest would be in tweaking variosu SIPS parameters in order to sound at least acceptable. :)

Violin Section 2 preset in SIPS seems to be fine. Make sure to set S.Mod for all zones in sustain groups to 44100.
Are you talking about using just the SIPS legato script, and loading all samples into RAM?

Ideally I'd be able to do this in DFD mode, meaning creating separate groups with a fixed start offset, and coordinating them with the SIPS articulation script before the legato script. But that's where the trouble is. Every time I try to name all of the original layers as "normal groups" in the SIPS articulation script, only dynamic group ends up playing. I think SIPS automatically decides that three simultaneous "normal groups" must be three separate articulations instead of one articulation with three layers.

Yes just SIPS legato script, and no need to load all samples into RAM. Just stay in DFD mode and load more of the beginnings of the samples by adjusting S.Mod value in Wave Editor for all zones.

Oh wow. That's... a really easy compromise. I didn't realize you could do that. And it saves the pain of having to use the articulation manager. Thank you!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”