UVI Falcon and Avid

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just received email that Avid is now including UVI Falcon with Pro Tools (I get their email because i tried out Pro Tools once. I didn't like it.) I wonder what this means for Falcon though in general? Will we now start to see more sample based instruments developed for it ?

I just got started with Kontakt but now I am wondering about the wisdom of spending the time needed to learn to create instruments with Kontakt (KSP is a horrible language!). Maybe I should focus on the new kid on the block, UVI Falcon?

DrEntropy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:38 pm I just received an email that Avid is now including UVI Falcon with Pro Tools (I get their email because i tried out Pro Tools once. I didn't like it.) I wonder what this means for Falcon though in general? Will we now start to see more sample based instruments developed for it?
It means that Avid is desperately trying to attract more people into their "subscription" trap :hihi:
DrEntropy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:38 pm I just got started with Kontakt but now I am wondering about the wisdom of spending the time needed to learn to create instruments with Kontakt (KSP is a horrible language!). Maybe I should focus on the new kid on the block, UVI Falcon?
The "new kid on the block" is not so new anymore (it's older than HALion 6, for example). It is quite good, though, and it has a large library already. Not as large as Kontakt, but bigger than HALion, for example. All UVI Workstation libraries are read by Falcon :neutral:
Fernando (FMR)

Seriously these rentwares and subscription models on software are a complete abomination and bad example from some companies.

And the people who decide to pay for that is the only thing they will get, a rental software, no product.

I am a "subscription only model is a dealbreaker for me" kind of guy.
However for a company it makes sense.. A known steady stream of income, that you can budget and plan around as opposed to not knowing from one month to another how many people will buy a license to your software.

We never buy software, we never own it....We just buy a license to use it.. we don't own the product.

Subscription doesn't work for me, bu tI can understand why it would work for others.
Once I have a choice I am fine.
rsp
sound sculptist

Another fail & desperate move from Avid. This platform has no potentials for newcomers. Air suffered from Avid, as well as M-Audio, luckily both of those brands found their safeway out.
UVI recently were doing lots of promotions to attract customers. Apparently they will end up being either bankrupt or acquired by some other brand.

zvenx wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 pm I am a "subscription only model is a dealbreaker for me" kind of guy.
However for a company it makes sense.. A known steady stream of income, that you can budget and plan around as opposed to not knowing from one month to another how many people will buy a license to your software.

We never buy software, we never own it....We just buy a license to use it.. we don't own the product.

Subscription doesn't work for me, bu tI can understand why it would work for others.
Once I have a choice I am fine.
rsp
There is a difference between an agreement and not to have a product. we have to respect the different agreements and we have the product; imagine you have a pc, or a laptop, or a tv or any device, all of them come with their agreement, you can't violate that agreement and you have to respect it, and you have the product independently of the company.

If the product is hardware or software, you pay for the product, you have the product, you have to respect the agreement, the product is given to you.

I don't like subs either. But PT is a weird half way house - a permanent license but you need an active support plan to get the upgrades and bundled extras. For me - as with tens of thousands of others (maybe hundreds of thousands, dunno), Pro Tools is such a core part of their business that they just pay up as the cost of doing business. Of all the DAWs, Pro Tools I very strongly suspect has the highest quota of full time professionals vs hobbyists.

What that means for the future of Falcon I'm not sure, but I think it likely will give it a modest boost. Stuff like Structure has not set the world alight and has been bundled for years, but Falcon is already a pretty serious product with good support, even if its not at the level of Kontakt. Add tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of new punters able to play with it for free, and its not gonna hurt the ecosystem. All sounds healthy for the sampling marketplace in general to me.

Incidentally, my understanding is that you get a full (albeit time-limited) Falcon license which includes standalone, VST etc, but the 2.6gb Avid-special library that also comes with it works in AAX only. Personally not really fussed about that.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 pm I don't like subs either. But PT is a weird half way house - a permanent license but you need an active support plan to get the upgrades and bundled extras. For me - as with tens of thousands of others (maybe hundreds of thousands, dunno), Pro Tools is such a core part of their business that they just pay up as the cost of doing business. Of all the DAWs, Pro Tools I very strongly suspect has the highest quota of full time professionals vs hobbyists.

What that means for the future of Falcon I'm not sure, but I think it likely will give it a modest boost. Stuff like Structure has not set the world alight and has been bundled for years, but Falcon is already a pretty serious product with good support, even if its not at the level of Kontakt. Add tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of new punters able to play with it for free, and its not gonna hurt the ecosystem. All sounds healthy for the sampling marketplace in general to me.

Incidentally, my understanding is that you get a full (albeit time-limited) Falcon license which includes standalone, VST etc, but the 2.6gb Avid-special library that also comes with it works in AAX only. Personally not really fussed about that.
I'm wondering about getting a WAVES bundle..i read about the V10..
Lets say I'll get the Diamond or Gold bundle...I get support and updates for a year Free and then if I want to be up to date I need to upgrade to V10? I guess that the cost will be higher for the Diamond as it costs more? or If I want to keep the plugins updated (last update before 1y) it's my choice and I can update them ..lets say extra year later..? what will be the cost?
It may seem that it is a trap in some way as if you want to be up to date U will have to pay..
I find the info confusing...on their site..lol
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Maybe Avid will eventually buy Falcon an make it an exclusive for Pro Tools, the same way Apple swallowed up Alchemy and made it Logic only! :P
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

One can just look at the year end 2017 SEC filing for Avid and note the 13 million net loss for the year. They spent about 106 million on marketing and selling and 70 million on R&D. They've been barely making a profit in the preceding years. You almost think they need to cannibalize their own software and come up with a new code base for a potential Pro Tools replacement - it is either that or be overtaken (if not already) by their competitors. Luckily for them software makes up only 10% to 15% of their revenue (but still significant no matter how you slice it).

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 pm Incidentally, my understanding is that you get a full (albeit time-limited) Falcon license which includes standalone, VST etc, but the 2.6gb Avid-special library that also comes with it works in AAX only. Personally not really fussed about that.
Still ilok?

Yes, iLok.

I've read contradictory things about whether standalone and VST versions of Falcon itself btw. I haven't received my own license yet, so can't confirm for sure.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Rise Lazurus...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but do you guys know of, or heard of, an upgrade path to the Full, PT subscription free, version of Falcon? The VST version of Falcon, so it seems, is just a preset bank, not Falcon whatsoever. In fact, I'm not even sure if that is what was installed via the Pro Tools update in the 2018 version that originally granted us PT users the Falcon instrument. For all I know it could have been installed as a result of owning other VST products as a teaser to getting it. Not sure.

The main reason I was interested is because I need a good sampler and Falcon resonates with me a little better than Kontakt.
Last edited by Mathematics on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

No upgrade path that I am aware of. If you have a Pro Tools support plan you have an additional download section in your Avid Master Account. That download section includes the AAX version of Falcon, the Falcon factory library and a special Avid version of UVI Plugsound. It appears that the licenses for these are connected to the Pro Tools subscription or support plan licenses. There are no "extra" licenses for Falcon or Plugsound and they apparently stop working as soon as you cancel your subscription or don't renew your support plan.

Edit: I just tested this: only the AAX version of Falcon can read the Pro Tools version of Plugsound.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Ok. Here's something cool. I contacted UVI and they told me that they are going to offer all PT users an upgrade path for $260 if they want the full, unlimited version of Falcon, which includes the VST version of course. Essentially, it's no different than just buying the instrument directly from their website as a new customer but saving $100.

They said that the offer isn't public, but they offered me a code to buy it at that price now. Gotta love that about UVI. In fact, they've always been cool about offering me discounts even where there isn't any promotion going on; just because I'm a license holder. Pretty cool company. :clap:
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”