Sounds trendy in the real world, but not yet in samples

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pass me the 48/4

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm My car has four wheels ... or does it have 2 pairs of wheels? What about the spare wheel? :help:
how do you steer it? :o

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:58 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm My car has four wheels ... or does it have 2 pairs of wheels? What about the spare wheel? :help:
how do you steer it? :o
With my arms ... ;)

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:15 pm
DSmolken wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am Aha! That does make sense! So it's played pretty much like folk mandolin, not higher-pitched rock guitar or bluegrass mandolin?
in many cases it's just a lightly strummed accompaniment to bad vocals (in the instances to which i refer, i have no issue with mandolins or their players) to get spare change from unsuspecting tourists
Haha, yes. Of course a lot of that would be up to the user of the samples.

On my wishlist:
• Guqin (a Chinese ancient, seven string fretless zither with an incredibly sensual, 'physical' sound – Chinee Kong has one, but only for PC). A real challenge, because of the multitude of finger playing styles, with slides, vibratoes and intricate harmonics.

• A collection of roots and zydeco MIDI based sampled rhythm instruments: washboard, spoons, triangles, the works. I've been nagging Toontrack – nothing yet… ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Fernando (FMR)

We'll see, we'll see... don't know anyone with a proper cavaquinho still, but I do know people who do children's music and folk-punk, so roots percussion might be doable... Eastern Euro, not zydeco, but still.

DSmolken wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:35 am We'll see, we'll see... don't know anyone with a proper cavaquinho still, but I do know people who do children's music and folk-punk, so roots percussion might be doable... Eastern Euro, not zydeco, but still.
Maybe you should spend a vacation period over here :wink:

We have more than Cavaquinhos to justify it :)
Fernando (FMR)

CrystalWizard wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm Hurdy gurdy
Quiet accordion pads - Oliveros style
Scat singing
Contemporary vocalising
Single-string guitar
Rock ukelele
Microtonal guitar
Musette-tuned piano
Cimbalom
Pedal steel guitar
Nice list.

Yepp! totally agree with this

What's trending big with young drummers today I don't know about any sampling done yet is this tiny cymbal set on a tom or a snare. I would buy it as a multisampled thing, and it wouldn't need to be extremely deep. Or an expensive cymbal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swj-NQKkrRE

also trending are very dry cymbals. and this tiny passive hat mounted. and trash stacks.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 05, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ha! Yes! I've sampled a snare with a tambourine on top of it, and thought about doing one with a splash cymbal too, but it probably would need a smaller splash than what I had available at the time - 8" or so. I've also done a three-cymbal stack where the middle cymbal had badly bent edges, making the stack even more rattly than usual. Both of those are in Big Rusty Drums, but there are definitely lots more possibilities I should get to someday...

The dry cymbal trend is great for sampling, too, because dry cymbals sustain shorter, and that can mean saving several hours on sampling a ride cymbal in depth.

I bet

that little splash is 8"
sometimes it's a 6"

Yeah, I tried with a 10" splash but on a normal-sized snare the only room left to hit is very close to the edge. I do know somebody who's got a couple of 8" splashes, though, could borrow them to 1. plop on a snare and 2. put them together into a mini-hi-hat. Especially once I turn this 16"x7" shell I have into a snare... more surface for the plopping.

Well, this style is hitting the bow of the cymbal while on the [typically a big] tom. It produces this nice 'tchink', like a tightened hihat bell but with some resonance.

I just impulse bought this thing for BFD, some cajons and altered Arabic and African drums but with these wild cymbals; two are called 'Resonators', I don't know what they did but it's quite evil.

another trending item is tops of hihat pairs in a stack, typically with something noisy, sizzly

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”