Sounds trendy in the real world, but not yet in samples

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harmonicas

I heard the video you posted. No, that's not our cavaquinho technique. That technique has more to do with regular samba or bossa nova guitar (as you said) than with cavaquinho. He uses a plectrum to play the cavaquinho. Our technique doesn't.

As you can see in the videos I posted, our technique has some resemblances to the flamenco "rasgueado". I think it's this technique, coupled with the high pitched strings of the cavaquinho, that give it a particular "sound", or sonority.
Fernando (FMR)

Yes, the technique is very different, and yours is definitely more distinct from "regular" guitar, or even flamenco guitar.

Sorry to resurrect this somehow old thread, but I'd like to post an example I consider perfect of what is the Portuguese technique of playing the ukulele (which we know as "cavaquinho"). This is an old and well known Portuguese folk tune:

https://www.facebook.com/chico.gouveia/ ... 60/?type=3
Fernando (FMR)

Perhaps someday... I really need to sample something other than drums soon. This would be a good option if I knew somebody who had the right instrument and lived close enough to record.

I know someone who just bought a mandolin, and she mentioned it has a pickup... not sure if magnetic or piezo, but I might be able to make that one happen. Had one myself a long time ago, too... What evidence can you provide for the real-world trendiness of emandos?

loads of buskers in the north west of england use them :x
and bloody ukuleles :x

Aha! That does make sense! So it's played pretty much like folk mandolin, not higher-pitched rock guitar or bluegrass mandolin?

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm loads of buskers in the north west of england use them :x
"Use" is one thing. "Play" is another. Personally, I find it amusing when I see people picking other string instruments, (Like the mandolin or the cavaquinho/ukulele) and play them like they are used to play the guitar (like the last example posted). These instruments are not "small guitars" and played like that they give a pale image of that they are capable of. Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played.

So, I totally understand why you are mad about that :hihi: It reminds me of the "trend" that was playing sitar in the sixties.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm loads of buskers in the north west of england use them :x
"Use" is one thing. "Play" is another. Personally, I find it amusing when I see people picking other string instruments, (Like the mandolin or the cavaquinho/ukulele) and play them like they are used to play the guitar (like the last example posted). These instruments are not "small guitars" and played like that they give a pale image of that they are capable of. Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played.

So, I totally understand why you are mad about that :hihi: It reminds me of the "trend" that was playing sitar in the sixties.
Blimey, the instrument police are in the area. :o I'd have liked to see someone try and tell Mr Kilminster that, "Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played." :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOOGb4ElwZA

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm Blimey, the instrument police are in the area. :o I'd have liked to see someone try and tell Mr Kilminster that, "Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played." :hihi:

And what exactly is different here? He is playing a guitar (a bass guitar is still a guitar) with distortion, like countless did before. :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm Blimey, the instrument police are in the area. :o I'd have liked to see someone try and tell Mr Kilminster that, "Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played." :hihi:

And what exactly is different here? He is playing a guitar (a bass guitar is still a guitar) with distortion, like countless did before. :roll:
Weak. You know as well as I do that playing chords on bass with a plectrum is frowned upon by 'purists'. Lets try another. I'm sure Mr Hendrix was advised at some point not to play his guitar upside down..And of course you mention distortion. What a horrible racket, not the way the guitar was supposed to sound. Point being that that people will always experiment with techniques and sound, and will come to their own way of playing an instrument, whether it's the 'right' way or not, and through this sometimes new forms will emerge, which they never would if everyone stuck to the book.

Ok, enough derailment, back to the 12 string.. 12...? On a guitar??

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm Ok, enough derailment, back to the 12 string.. 12...? On a guitar??
Weak... Very weak. You clearly don't know what is a musical instrument... Or what is my point. I'm not objecting about people coming out with "new" techniques of playing an instrument. I am simply finding it WEAK, UNIMAGINATIVE and MUSICALLY POOR picking a sitar, or an ukulele, or a mandolin, and playing them as if they were guitars. They will not play well as guitars, and will give a pale image of what they are capable of.

And the "12 string guitar" doesn't have 12 strings. It has six pairs of strings (which isn't exactly the same thing).

If you think that's many, take a look at here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorbo
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm
fmr wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Blimey, the instrument police are in the area. :o I'd have liked to see someone try and tell Mr Kilminster that, "Each instrument only shines when played the way it was built to be played." :hihi:

so long as you realise, for me, its not about how they are used in a technical manner, as such.
it's the fact im sick of walking through the city and hearing beatles covers all bloody day on mandolins and ukuleles, turning eleanor rigby in to a twee little 3 chord strum is not clever.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”