Anyone tried Spitfire Audio's free Labs plugin implementation....?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wow, spitfire. just, wow. Totally usable free strings. Dare I say, I prefer the sound to eastwest gold lol. The GUI is enormous... the installer downloads 4 vst files (vst32, vst64, vst3 32, vst3 64) in 4 different locations... however the quality, :tu: is niiiiice.

[Edit] the CPU usage seems decent, idles at 1%, usage around 10%, when I sustain 30 voices with my entire arm it goes to about 30% - 40%. Purges samples really quickly. Loads fast, no crashes. I'm using the 64bit vst in reaper.

I've had a problem with it - I keep getting the error message - it seems from their site I'm not alone - Windows 7, Cubase 9.5.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:I've had a problem with it - I keep getting the error message - it seems from their site I'm not alone - Windows 7, Cubase 9.5.
Sorry, you're having issues. Thought I'd mention when I renamed the sample folder, it wouldn't work and I had to rename it back to "Spitfire Audio - LABS". Then I was even able move the vst .dll to the same folder and relocate it from the installer. I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks, these are nice sounds, can see the soft piano getting a lot of use when I'm in an ambient mode.

FTR I couldn't get any sound out of the 32 bit version in Reaper (bridged, only version I could find at first :)) but 64 bit version is fine.

DSmolken wrote: I think the design is supposed to look like a big 10, for Spitfire's 10th anniversary.
Thanks! Glad they didn't do like Apple and went for an X instead! :hihi:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

royosho wrote:
ChamomileShark wrote:I've had a problem with it - I keep getting the error message - it seems from their site I'm not alone - Windows 7, Cubase 9.5.
Sorry, you're having issues. Thought I'd mention when I renamed the sample folder, it wouldn't work and I had to rename it back to "Spitfire Audio - LABS". Then I was even able move the vst .dll to the same folder and relocate it from the installer. I'm using Windows 10.
I've got them under Labs but I had moved one using the repair tool. It seems a particular issue for people on Windows 7 - all the complaints I saw were on Windows 7 and where they mentiona DAW it was Cubase. I'll wait a few days and if nothing comes out from Spitfire I'll probably use their chat thing.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

"Do you have the Spitfire Audio App installed on your computer? You'll need it to install this product"

No, thanks. I won't install unknown "Apps" on my music computer to get a free plugin.
I'm OK with giving my email adress (as I am doing it on my site), but installing adware on my music pc is a no go.....
ImageImage

OK. I know it's free and I shouldn't complain but this installation procedure is clunky as hell. The installer puts the patches and presets folders where you ask it too ( in my case my Plugin directory) and the plugin files in various default folder (does anyone use these!!) with no option to put it where you want it. I have tried moving the .dll to the same folder as the patches and presets i.e the "Spitfire Audio - LABS" folder put it just throws up an error. I have tried the "repair" and "locate" options in the installer without luck.

Can anyone explain what is going on with this thing.

Windows 10/Live 10.

Thanks

WOK wrote:"Do you have the Spitfire Audio App installed on your computer? You'll need it to install this product"

No, thanks. I won't install unknown "Apps" on my music computer to get a free plugin.
I'm OK with giving my email adress (as I am doing it on my site), but installing adware on my music pc is a no go.....
Do you really think that SF are going to compromise their reputation with "adware" ? Do you have any proof for your statement?

This people giving away excellent free stuff to get little thanks or even worse like here from you (who is a developer too).. ..mad world. :clap:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Do you really think that SF are going to compromise their reputation with "adware" ? Do you have any proof for your statement?
So then what is it and why they don't tell what it is?  If it's a new copy protection I won't install it either, same as this ilok thing that is needed from some developers even for demos or for freeware.
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
murnau wrote:Do you really think that SF are going to compromise their reputation with "adware" ? Do you have any proof for your statement?
So then what is it and why they don't tell what it is?  If it's a new copy protection I won't install it either, same as this ilok thing that is needed from some developers even for demos or for freeware.
It's a library management tool along the lines of NI's Native Access or XLN Audio's Online Installer. The only advertising is the hope that you'll like the free stuff enough to buy their paid libraries.

I moved the library because I told the installer to place it in 'Kontakt Libraries/Spitfire' which it isn't.
Then I launched it, to get the error and 'Repair' dialog and I followed the instructions and it simply worked.

It's like Native Access, yeah, which I used to repair something recently which just worked. This is another one of these, 'it works rather simply on Mac OS' while [some] windows people create all these troubles.
So there's the plugin which goes in plugins and a library which you choose where you want it. I don't get that this is very complicated. I mean that is all it does here, there is not the usual Application Support folder or anything beyond these two locations.

There is no CR of any kind.
I have tried moving the .dll to the same folder as the patches and presets i.e the "Spitfire Audio - LABS" folder put it just throws up an error.
So don't do that. Like an installer would tend to do, it places the plugin in a usual place and then you may choose a custom location for the library. Could very well be it wants the plugin location left alone.
the plugin files in various default folder (does anyone use these!!)
Various?
Why would anyone not use a default folder which is what an installer has to be created to do?
What is the gain of screwing around with that.

This is the dark web KVR, yeah?

The installer is not different at all than SonicCouture's, Soundiron's, Cinesamples', Impact Soundworks', et al. :help:

SHall1000 wrote:I have tried moving the .dll to the same folder as the patches and presets i.e the "Spitfire Audio - LABS" folder put it just throws up an error. I have tried the "repair" and "locate" options in the installer without luck.
Hi, I moved the vst to the same folder and located it from the app and it worked. However I might have had to locate the containing folder, not the actual LABS folder. I've uninstalled the app and the extra vsts, so I simply have one folder with the samples and one vst and it works. Sorry, I don't remember exactly which folder it was, however try either the actual LABS folder, and if it doesn't work, try the containing folder that the LAB folder is in. For example, I might have located the folder "VST" from the photo, I don't remember. Something else to note is, when I tried renaming the LABS folder to something simpler and locating it from the ap, it didn't work. So no renaming the LABS folder.

BTW, what adware are you guys talking about? You can uninstall the ap after you install the vst and it still works lol.

They're promising monthly releases. Any guesses as to what might be next - bringing back another classic from the old days like the piano, or something new like the strings?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”