Anyone tried Spitfire Audio's free Labs plugin implementation....?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've used their dedicated install app and followed the instructions. Stuff gets installed in a Spitfire Adio -LABS folder but no VST dll seems to get installed. Info on their website is a bit thin.

SHall1000 wrote:I've used their dedicated install app and followed the instructions. Stuff gets installed in a Spitfire Adio -LABS folder but no VST dll seems to get installed. Info on their website is a bit thin.
I had to search for it a bit, but found it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 on Windows.

Thanks ilmai. The VST3 is there for me too. I found the VST 2 in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins.

Think their installer needs some work or at least more documentation.

Worked on my Mac (AAX for PT). Put a 'helper' in my system folder that I promptly deleted.
Check the re-sellers, don't check the re-sellers. I don't care.

I just followed the instructions for OSX (which provide a step to establish where you want the library installed). If you move the library you'll have to repair it but the instructions for that are just as clear. I put it in "Kontakt Libraries" here not knowing what it was. So it's a perfect installer for OSX.

I plan to check out the Strings one presently.

Are these any different to the Kontakt versions?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

- totally different interface and workflow conception. I think it's pretty neat. There are a couple brief videos revealing what the dials do for the short and long. I never liked their Kontakt interface and this looks more powerful with a lot less dicking around.

v1o wrote:Are these any different to the Kontakt versions?
Yeah - two differences people have noticed about in the piano is that the attacks are not all trimmed properly, which was also a problem in Kontakt but fixable by editing the scripts. That fix can't be done here. Also, someone said that turning the reverb to 0 apparently doesn't stop the reverb from using CPU, but I don't know how easy it is to be 100% certain about that.

That's the piano - the strings are new, so they had no Kontakt version.

Interesting that they're moving in the direction of their own proprietary playback engine, which they used for Hans Zimmer Strings.

However, there seems to be way too much empty space in that GUI for just three controls. I know a number of people on another forum had criticisms about the wasted/inefficient space in the HZS GUI (among other things). Funny, because a lot of people had also complained that their Kontakt GUIs were too small. Seems they may have over-corrected?

If this is the same as their "Felt Piano" from the old Labs stuff, I'd highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's a very warm, unique piano tone that is wonderful on its own for understated parts (it's practically ready to be dropped into a film score), and also layers well with other pianos/keyboards to give a warm, soft bed for the bite of something like a bright grand piano or a wurli. It's one of those freebies (ok, so it was like $3 donationware) that will never, ever leave my hard drive.

That said, I'll probably stick to the Kontakt one, as it ain't broke...

funky lime wrote: If this is the same as their "Felt Piano" from the old Labs stuff, I'd highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's a very warm, unique piano tone that is wonderful on its own for understated parts (it's practically ready to be dropped into a film score), and also layers well with other pianos/keyboards to give a warm, soft bed for the bite of something like a bright grand piano or a wurli. It's one of those freebies (ok, so it was like $3 donationware) that will never, ever leave my hard drive.
I got the $3.00? Soft Piano. Is the Soft Piano the same as the Felt Piano which sells for $99? Unfortunately I have not installed it yet. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

Given that they are free, they are excellent.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
funky lime wrote: If this is the same as their "Felt Piano" from the old Labs stuff, I'd highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's a very warm, unique piano tone that is wonderful on its own for understated parts (it's practically ready to be dropped into a film score), and also layers well with other pianos/keyboards to give a warm, soft bed for the bite of something like a bright grand piano or a wurli. It's one of those freebies (ok, so it was like $3 donationware) that will never, ever leave my hard drive.
I got the $3.00? Soft Piano. Is the Soft Piano the same as the Felt Piano which sells for $99? Unfortunately I have not installed it yet. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

It's not the same as the $99 one. It might be from the same session but it's a very cut down version, if it is.

EDIT: That being said, over at vi-control most prefer the labs version better. The king of soft pianos at Spitfire is the one in Olafur Arnaud collection.

jsp1979 wrote: It's not the same as the $99 one. It might be from the same session but it's a very cut down version, if it is.

EDIT: That being said, over at vi-control most prefer the labs version better. The king of soft pianos at Spitfire is the one in Olafur Arnaud collection.
Thanks. I feel better already!
I prefer to use VSTi's rather than Kontakt plugins.
I never got comfortable using Kontakt.

Looks great and I truly love the videos plus website design. I've always said that the UK shines at graphic design, and this company really shows it!

A UI question: Though looking super cool, why is there a dial? And why only one when it serves two (as I think) completely different purposes? The logical thing would in my opinion to have just four sliders or rotary knobs (I'm thinking minimalism like Zynaptic's Subspace here...) instead of two sliders and one dial. Not complaining, just trying to understand the logic behind this design decision. :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:Looks great and I truly love the videos plus website design. I've always said that the UK shines at graphic design, and this company really shows it!

A UI question: Though looking super cool, why is there a dial? And why only one when it serves two (as I think) completely different purposes? The logical thing would in my opinion to have just four sliders or rotary knobs (I'm thinking minimalism like Zynaptic's Subspace here...) instead of two sliders and one dial. Not complaining, just trying to understand the logic behind this design decision. :)
I think the design is supposed to look like a big 10, for Spitfire's 10th anniversary.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”