In Session Audio Fluid Series and Riff Generation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon; Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:04 pm
Re: In Session Audio Fluid Series and Riff Generation
All Fluid products have the same engine. I think some of the synth sounds are indeed the same (to have some common foundation for layering between products).

Regarding saving/loading phrases, that's not possible directly, only via snapshots. Do take note that due to the complexity of the instrument and sheer number of controls, switching snapshots will take a few seconds...

thanks Mario

I bought Fluid Harmonics despite the solo one star review at Best Service.
I've barely scratched the surface but can say I'm very happy I bought it.
I've come across a couple of bugs in the arp where it keeps running on a layer after I turn it off and the step cursor that shows the current pattern step sometimes disappears altogether.
Could be user errors due to not knowing the instrument well enough yet.
So, thumbs up for me, especially at sale price which ends tomorrow.

By the way, there's a Scenes function that stores up to 8 Scenes per layer which is nice. I didn't notice any mention of Scenes in the videos (may have missed it).

If you just disabled the Arp tab (on Triple Play page - there are 5 tracks per layer which you can toggle separately - arp, pitch, cut, volume, pan), the sequencer will still continue to play other tracks that are active. Actual per-layer sequencer buttons are located below the Triple Play button on the main page (they are also there in the Triple Play page, just relocated a bit).

I am not aware of any situation where step cursors would disappear, so I'd need a consistent way to reproduce that.

I'm not sure if I should say anything about the one-star review at Best Service, because I'm biased :) But here goes: only two points in that review are correct (CPU usage and "sounds good"), others are kinda bollocks - as if whoever wrote it never used Kontakt Player libraries. They're as plug-and-play as they come :D

Thanks for tips about arp; I doubt there's a real bug, probably just new user acclimation period. I reported on contact form of site and got response with tips; I'll follow up there if it's actual persistent bug(s).

As far as "review" goes, I think same person copied/pasted almost verbatim same review for Strike and could be somewhat of a spammer. It's unfortunate that one negative comment can result in a 1 star review for a product, but that's how it works.

Mario, I posed a question about KS for FH in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=492414&p=6890030#p6890030
If you have time/notion to look...

With the current sale going on, can anyone tell me what the difference between this and say Riffer is?
Obviously RG has samples but they’re not my kind of thing anyway.
What can RG do that Riffer or Midi Madness can’t?

Simmo: I think this are completely different tools.

Riff Generator is more a very powerful arp/sequencer kind of thing that works with existing chords input (midi keyboard, midi track).

It is definitely NOT for producing a melody in anyway.

I dont love the sounds either (was really disappointed a little cause they have so great guitar samples with their other libraries and I hoped they would at least put a little bit into this one or at least make expansions for their other sound, a little like with Hexeract if you know that one) but it really produces great accompaniment tracks you cant produce in any of these guitar strum/pattern engines and comes with lot of useful presets for that.

I normally just render the midi in Waveform to a clip (of course you can use the included midi drag and drop but for me the other way worked better) and then use another VSTi for playing. Of course for such a price intensive library the very limited sounds (for my use, I think they had another target group in mind) are a really restriction :-(.

But apart from that I would think for example Riffer and Riff Generator would make up a good complementary pair (have to try that out these days by the way :-). Midi Madness is a more complete tool so in a way it is an alternative but I think it would take a loooooong time to get suche a bunch of great and flexible to use accompaniment parts out of it then with Riff Generator.

tatanka wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:16 pm Simmo: I think this are completely different tools.

Riff Generator is more a very powerful arp/sequencer kind of thing that works with existing chords input (midi keyboard, midi track).

It is definitely NOT for producing a melody in anyway.

I dont love the sounds either (was really disappointed a little cause they have so great guitar samples with their other libraries and I hoped they would at least put a little bit into this one or at least make expansions for their other sound, a little like with Hexeract if you know that one) but it really produces great accompaniment tracks you cant produce in any of these guitar strum/pattern engines and comes with lot of useful presets for that.

I normally just render the midi in Waveform to a clip (of course you can use the included midi drag and drop but for me the other way worked better) and then use another VSTi for playing. Of course for such a price intensive library the very limited sounds (for my use, I think they had another target group in mind) are a really restriction :-(.

But apart from that I would think for example Riffer and Riff Generator would make up a good complementary pair (have to try that out these days by the way :-). Midi Madness is a more complete tool so in a way it is an alternative but I think it would take a loooooong time to get suche a bunch of great and flexible to use accompaniment parts out of it then with Riff Generator.
Many thanks for your time.
Can you play/use chords then and, if i'm not interested in the sounds at all, is the price worth it?
Maybe there's a similar tool for just midi you can recommend?

Can you play/use chords then?
Not sure how this is meant. There are no chords or chordprogressions you can choose in Riff Generation but you feed chords into it (thats the way I use it at least). Normally I already have a Track with some midichords (generated with the chord track/midi pattern generator in waveform or any comparable tools) that I feed into Riff Generation. The great think is that the Riffs you can choose in Riff Generation have a very flexible lenght so that for example you can let one riff play over a whole part of a chord progression in lets say two bars for example. Great addition in the actual update is that you now dont have only complete random generated notes but that you can choose the notes (from number 1, 3, 7 whatever, with ocatave up/octave down) for the random generation of the riff.

I must admit I have only scratched the surface so far cause Imostly just find a preset I like, set the length of the riff as I like, maybe choose the notes (that was very great when I tried to make something ambient/meditative where only a few notes should be really in the centre of the whole peace). Of course you can get lot more out of it, set different tracks to different riff lenght or whatever.

Or maybe if polyphony was the centre of your question then the answer is NO, only one note at a time, so its definitely not a chords player engine.
Last edited by tatanka on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tatanka wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:07 pm
Can you play/use chords then?
Not sure how this is meant. There are no chords or chordprogressions you can choose in Riff Generation but you feed chords into it (thats the way I use it at least). Normally I already have a Track with some midichords (generated with the chord track/midi pattern generator in waveform or any comparable tools) that I feed into Riff Generation. The great think is that the Riffs you can choose in Riff Generation have a very flexible lenght so that for example you can let one riff play over a whole part of a chord progression in lets say two bars for example. Great addition in the actual update is that you now dont have only complete random generated notes but that you can choose the notes (from number 1, 3, 7 whatever, with ocatave up/octave down) for the random generation of the riff.

I must admit I have only scratched the surface so far cause Imostly just find a preset I like, set the length of the riff as I like, maybe choose the notes (that was very great when I tried to make something ambient/meditative where only a few notes should be really in the centre of the whole peace). Of course you can get lot more out of it, set different tracks to different riff lenght or whatever.
You understood me well :)
Thanks man, i've been contemplating RG for a year or so now, I wish there was a demo!

Riff Generator imho is way over-priced and does not do polyphony.
Other Kontakt libraries like the Home Grown Sounds stuff, Rigid Audio Hypernode, etc. do riff randomization as good or better than Riff Generator and cost way less. Hypernode is a gem in that regard and it's functionality (generate entire songs) seems to be overlooked by many (hence, extreme sale price).
More and more Kontakt libraries have randomization (see Kontakthub.com).
I would spend my money on other tools instead of trying to convince myself it's something that it isn't.
I do like Fluid Harmonics quite a bit, though. The 3 sequencers (polyrhythms), scales, scenes, and excellent content make it very usable.
If you want absolute genious libraries go with Cracklefield (currently on sale), Orchestra Enigmatica, and Sawmill all by Szcz at Kontakthub. They all blow Riff Generator out of the water.

musical gym
: agree and totally disagree :lol:

I think the prices of In Session Audio tools are very high, agree.

But I think the products cant be compared in any way to what you mentioned, Rigid Audio and Home grown sounds. I have lots of products from both and while I will never again will buy any Rigid Audio stuff (simply cause of marketing strategy for example to sell products weeks after pre-sale-cheepest-that-you-ever-will-get-help-develloping for half the pre-sale price on vstbuzz) I honour the programming skills of this one-man-band producing products on the assembly line. Ever looked on some of the other products ? Pad1 to Pad50.....

This is just in no way comparable to a PROFESSIONAL develloping company like in Session Audio and professional products. As you can read in the posts before I am far from being a fan (and I wont buy the Fluid in the actual sale cause I can do this with Riff Generation and some other kontakt libs for the sounds) but its just another level.

I love the HG groupbuys and still trying to catch up with all that stuff that could last for lifes of just hearing and trying out :party: but I am sure he will agree that his stuff is "experimental" in the best meaning. You could say "groundbreaking" if this feels better. But nevertheless it is just another planet.
They all blow Riff Generator out of the water.
And totally disagree on that one :hihi:

The things you mentioned I totally love but thats the same line then the HG stuff, its just a totally different kind of librarys. You can get infinitely kind of sounds out of it but if you just want an easy, quick, good sounding, riff for your track there is just nothing comparable to Riff Generation (inside the mentioned tools). Alone the presets makes the difference, one for experimentation, one for easy and quick use out of the box.

Thanks for thoughts; yes, Riff Generator is most likely an inspiring tool for some. Just my opinion on it; sometimes it can be a matter of how deep you want to go inside a tool's capability. Over and out, back to silent mode.

Good deal on at the moment @ https://insessionaudio.com/

Came across this thread hunting up reviews of RG.

I just picked up Taiko Creator https://www.strongmocha.com/2018/10/28/ ... io-review/ and a bunch of others including Riff Generation. Looking forward to playing with it and mangling it.
I have a bunch of other generative creation tools, including ones I've made myself. It doesn't appear to be doing much different on the generation side, but where it seems to stand out is its flexibility in manipulating patterns to generate variations.

Musical Gym wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:10 pm Riff Generator imho is way over-priced and does not do polyphony.
Other Kontakt libraries like the Home Grown Sounds stuff, Rigid Audio Hypernode, etc. do riff randomization as good or better than Riff Generator and cost way less. Hypernode is a gem in that regard and it's functionality (generate entire songs) seems to be overlooked by many (hence, extreme sale price).
More and more Kontakt libraries have randomization (see Kontakthub.com).
I would spend my money on other tools instead of trying to convince myself it's something that it isn't.
I do like Fluid Harmonics quite a bit, though. The 3 sequencers (polyrhythms), scales, scenes, and excellent content make it very usable.
If you want absolute genious libraries go with Cracklefield (currently on sale), Orchestra Enigmatica, and Sawmill all by Szcz at Kontakthub. They all blow Riff Generator out of the water.
Thanks for the tip! Was going to buy RG but thought I'd check out your recommendations and went for Hypernode - which looks outstanding and only cost me $11 (also picked up some of their other stuff while there). Didn't go for Cracklefield - it just sounds TOO random, rather than musical. Also checked out Riffendium - which is an amazing looking VSTi. And all that for less than Riff Generator, even on sale.!

Oh - and thanks for recommending Kontakthub as well. Have been using Kontakt for ages and was unaware of this site :)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”