New Release by SzcZ: Cracklefield

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cracklefield Kontakt Nova3

Zombie Queen wrote:
dark water wrote:is there anyway to link its output up to a vst synth
Yes, but only as one channel, that is, all notes generated by (any instruments) scripts loaded to one instance of Kontakt go out to one MIDI channel. Check Kontakt options>engine>send MIDI to outside world and make sure "script generated notes" is checked.
The drag'n'drop export purpose is mainly to be able to export multichannel.
This method may be obvous, but I find it accomplishes the goal while allowing the focus to be on one channel's output at a time.
If you have only one cursor turned on, that is the one that will be output/recorded. Doing this one at a time might seem laborious, but it lets you zero in on one thing at a time. Transport Sync should be on for DAW recording and off for DAW playback.

Musical Gym wrote:If you have only one cursor turned on, that is the one that will be output/recorded.
If you'd like to go this way, it's better to set some cursors to "silent" (option on sound list). If you just turn them off, they won't interact with each other and the sequence will roll differently. What you could do, is to set a starting configuration, save it to a snapshot or a preset. Then load Kontakt to as many instances as you need channels, load Cracklefield into each, load saved configuration to each instance, mute unwanted cursors in each 'channel' by setting them to 'silent' (a silent cursor will move and interact as normally, but it will generate no notes). Route the same midi input to all instances and there you go. You can start/stop the sequencer in all instances with the keyswitch. If you used a snapshot to memorize the setup, you can use presets stored internally as well (load parts of the program when sequencer is playing), as keyswitches will work the same way in every Kontakt instance.

I'm out tomorrow, will be driving around Norway for next three weeks, I will try to check out the forum, but my Internet access can be erratic.

Zombie Queen, your tutorial videos are much appreciated. Watched them and compelled me to buy--hopefully others will as well on that basis. Have a great holiday!
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

Thanks! </returns to packing mode>

Zombie Queen wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:If you have only one cursor turned on, that is the one that will be output/recorded.
If you'd like to go this way, it's better to set some cursors to "silent" (option on sound list). If you just turn them off, they won't interact with each other and the sequence will roll differently. What you could do, is to set a starting configuration, save it to a snapshot or a preset. Then load Kontakt to as many instances as you need channels, load Cracklefield into each, load saved configuration to each instance, mute unwanted cursors in each 'channel' by setting them to 'silent' (a silent cursor will move and interact as normally, but it will generate no notes). Route the same midi input to all instances and there you go. You can start/stop the sequencer in all instances with the keyswitch. If you used a snapshot to memorize the setup, you can use presets stored internally as well (load parts of the program when sequencer is playing), as keyswitches will work the same way in every Kontakt instance..
Thanks for tips!! Will play with it.
Do you have suggestion for starting configuration in this case?
>>What you could do, is to set a starting configuration, save it to a snapshot or a preset.<<

I had some success with two tracks so far, but it should work for all eight cursors/channels/tracks.
In Studio One I have cf on channel 1, cursor 1 has sound source, all others set to silent.
Then I duplicated track in DAW which gives me another instance of Kontakt and cf with same preset. I named this instance cf 2 and set to midi channel 2. I set cursor 2 to a sound source with all others set to silent.
Then I inserted two more instances of Kontakt (or whatever vst you choose) and loaded up a couple sounds from Kinetic Treats in each.
The first instance of KT is set to channel 1 with input of cf (channel 1).
The second instance of KT is set to channel 2 with input of cf 2 (channel 2).
I enabled Transport Sync on cf and cf 2 and click Record in DAW.
Midi data is recorded in real time with output of channels 1 and 2 each going to separate tracks.

I imagine you may be able to use a multi-out instance of Kontakt to achieve the same result, but I didn't try it since I hardly ever use the multi-out feature.

loving this ! The only thing I have not found a method for within the sequencer itself is changing the length of the note (gate length I guess). I can do it with automation in the DAW, but not in the sequencer

would be great for me if there was a simple way to have the cursors interact with the environment so that gate length changed and we could have notes of varying length

Enjoy Norway,

woggle

woggle wrote:The only thing I have not found a method for within the sequencer itself is changing the length of the note
That's "hold" in "shape" tab, you can automate it, or set a random range.

Zombie Queen wrote:
woggle wrote:The only thing I have not found a method for within the sequencer itself is changing the length of the note
That's "hold" in "shape" tab, you can automate it, or set a random range.
only gets better :)

Still trying to find what a good starting configuration would be for method described above by ZQ.
>>Route the same midi input to all instances..<< ?
Can you do a short video on this?

Musical Gym wrote:Still trying to find what a good starting configuration would be for method described above by ZQ.
>>Route the same midi input to all instances..<< ?
Can you do a short video on this?
By 'starting configuration' I meant the programmed sequence, cursor settings. Using snapshots you can load the same program to another Kontakt instance and another copy of Cracklefield. If you set the same MIDI in for both copies of Kontakt, it's not much different than having one instance (until you start to program settings with mouse). Then you can set some cursors to silent mode and thus filter which cursors generate notes for which output. Can't do a video on that at the moment, I left Kontakt at home.

thanks Marcin

A small update. I identified and fixes two issues.

- In rare circumstances Cracklefied could generate a note with zero length. When a sample with loop was used, it would result in never ending note. There is now minimum note length limit set to 1/100 second.
- Cursor rate randomiser could set cursor offset to half note triplet. While this setting works fine, there is no such option in the selector menu, resulting in missing graphics glitch. Half note triplet has been ruled out as random offset value.

Version 1.01 is available through Kontakt Hub. These are quite cosmetic issues. One is rare graphic glitch and the other may only be a problem with custom samples containing loop. So you can as well skip it.

If you don't want to re-download everything, PM me. It's enough to just replace resource file, which is just 3MB.

thank you

This is a kind of (random) player version. No program controllers, but a random preset button. You can have it as a birthday gift, but only until Sunday. PM me if you want a copy.
It has no advantage over regular version, if you already have it. Unless you'd like to keep it as digital collectors item.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”