Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Yes
52%
No
25%
Almost never
21%
All the time
2%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I buy sample packs. MIDI and some templates.The sample packs and some one-shots are for unique sounds or Instruments to fill in gaps. MIDI and song DAW templates to learn new techniques.

I used to only buy one-shots. Now I buy loops, too. However, I don't use them as loops. I slice the shit out of them with Geist and completely change everything else. Basically just turn them into dozens of one-shots. It's a great workflow to randomize the slices.

As for me it is a bit funny too. I also get totally different opinions from people who make music.

I am wandering though if there are some people involved in making short films (eg. advertising, corporate movies or so). Is there any need for sounds samples?
With great sound comes great power.

lucidsamples wrote:As for me it is a bit funny too. I also get totally different opinions from people who make music.

I am wandering though if there are some people involved in making short films (eg. advertising, corporate movies or so). Is there any need for sounds samples?
From what I've learned, they prefer to use different version of already made tracks; 1 version with full instrumentation, 1 version without drums, another without melody/vocals, etc.

The audio sections of most video editors are not really advanced, except for Sony Vegas (now own by Magix) which has the capability of mixing and matching loops of tempos and keys, which is already better than what most video editors have from what I've read. I personally use Sony Vegas and have tried Final Cut Pro & Lightworks.

I have bought a few - these people lately https://detunized.com/

I am not very interested in classic "one-shots" as I have that covered in lots of other ways but if something looks interesting and is at a value for money price point then I will seriously consider it

SampleScience wrote:The audio sections of most video editors are not really advanced, except for Sony Vegas (now own by Magix) which has the capability of mixing and matching loops of tempos and keys, which is already better than what most video editors have from what I've read. I personally use Sony Vegas and have tried Final Cut Pro & Lightworks.
Now that was unexpected! You see, I always thought the sound was more or less 50% of film. I asked my friend, editor and together we came with a conclusion that maybe this is because of the number fps. If you work with a movie that has 60 fps it is still nothing, compared even to low resolution audio. maybe that is the case the audio should be edited separately.

I guess it is a material for separate forum thread which I'll establish now :)
With great sound comes great power.

Since I bought Wavealchemy ultimate drums, I really don't need anything else. But maybe someday I buy something again :D

We have a FREE! sample pack with string loops of our product STRINGFINITY. The link is in a thread we just posted earlier in the forum. Get it today! We also recently released a drum sound pack that contains 500 drum and other sounds for all of you who stated that you like to buy one shot drum sounds. See the link in our signature. Enjoy!
Crown Loops creates original sound loops, sound packs, & one-shots for all music creators. GET A FREE! STRINGFINITY Sample Loop Pack here -https://bit.ly/36DGlSY. Buy Crown Loops FIRE DRUMZ 500 drum sound pack here: https://bit.ly/3K12YOW

Please guys, this is not a thread for self-promotion. It's a poll to know if people are still interested in sample packs, that's it.

Thank you!

Vortifex wrote:There are so many free samples around that there's almost no point buying any.
Sort of on the same page here. The last actual sample pack i bought (not including Kontakt, or Maize instruments) was about six months ago, before that it had been at least three years. Didn't put it to much "musical" use except for one demo track. Bought it because it was dirt cheap, nearly free, and needed specific types of one shots/loops for my Korg ESX and DAW that i wasn't motivated (or had the time) to personally create att.

All percussive. Zero synth/melodic loops.

The most important factor in terms of the decision making process to purchase said product was that it was available in REX format. WAV/MP3 ect aren't as flexible in terms of tempo conform that can support such file types. While you may be able to time stretch or grainularize the source WAV audio it seems to have trouble keeping up harmonically. That's not to say that the said sample doesn't sound good to someone elses ears, it's just that the backbone is being led by the middle man, and on more than several occasions the middle man becomes the decision maker.

No need to buy sample packs at this particular moment.

Jorgeelalto wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I think the only time in about 10 years was this year. I bought a promo drum hits pack foor something like $1, in this year's sales (Yet to audition), and I bought a loop instrument from Looploft (Cinematic something or other), which functions asa Kontakt instrument, and offers more functionality than just a straight loop player (One of those loops made it into my Synthmaster competition project :tu:)

Otherwise, not so into it. Far more interested in putting my audio recorders to use, and developing my own loops
The Producers Choice pack? That one is beautifully good :D
Then it looks like I saved my loop/hit virginity for 'the right one' :P
Well, that's a personal opinion of mine, so I don't assure you will like it... :hihi:

But yeah, better overall quality than other packs.
£1 well spent personally :wink:

Generally spend very little on sample packs, prefer to make my own from jamming with softsynths, recording the results I like and then cutting those into new samples. Bought the Ableton packs from Looploft when on special offer and recently bought their "From the Garage" bundle although haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Managed to get the Oddities from Mars collection, either for free or cheap, a few months back which is really nice and there was a freebie/cheapie from Wave Alchemy for Ableton recently composed of various drums created from old analog synths which was pretty nice too.

Much of the fun of music to me comes from making my own music, sounds and atmospheres and making them complement the other elements of the track so I've never seen much point in buying someone else's fx, melodies, chords, etc. although I do find layering drum sounds quite tedious so will occasionally shell out for good quality drum hits and loops by decent drummers. I find a lot of the current drum packs rather samey though, but then I generally prefer rimshots and old school hip hop snares to those overly processed EDM/Dubstep/DnB versions.

Vocal samples I might be more interested in but they usually seem to either be ridiculously complex and expensive Kontakt libraries (and I don't have Kontakt), be already processed with fx or fairly generic housey "yeah baby, dance, party, woo yeah" sort of nonsense, which are all pretty useless to me.

If anything, I need to sort through my sample library and ditch sounds i don't use.

I do buy samples but mostly some exotic vocals.. I've bought all wave alchemy's though.. And occasionally if I see an interesting deal from loopmasters. But mostly my current sample needs are filled by the freebies that some with loopcloud :D Those are a bit dangerous though.. If there's some interesting pack, it can often be found quite quickly from my "purchased items" tab.

Aaaand of course the samples that come with computer music magazine.

I never buy samples. I have a huge library of samples I made myself, however. I also love to sample from various sources like music, TV shows and stuff.

Very rarely. Only if it's something unique and cheap, or just ridiculously cheap.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Is this question sponsored by Native Instruments ?
No auto tune...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”